X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
    Hitlers Panzers by Dennis Showalter
    What is your impression of this book? His last WWII book got trashed good.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• A Stillness At Appomattox by Bruce Catton.
      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        Just finished this

Just started this

Looks impressive so far. I may have to get this

You will like this one...I have read it twice in the last 3 months...let me know how u like it....
        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• robbielynne:

It was a good book, I learned a lot about Russian expansion from the Russian heartland. I am still reading August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn, and I'm finding it fascinating.

Comment

• I love Russian history...all periods of it but especially that time period u mentioned 1914....let me know how you like it when u finish...
            "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
            "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• "Street without joy" by Fall. A classic of the wars in Vietnam.

It has done a lot of eye opening and provoked a lot of thinking. I highly recommend it to all that are interested in those wars and especially to my fellow Nam vets.
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                Good book,especially if you've read his previous volume :The Quest for Decisive Victory.He covers some campaiggns that haven't gotten much print,such as Iran- Iraq war,India v Pakistan and some interesting information on the various Arab-Israeli wars.I highly recommend any book by Citino.
                I actually read his Death of The Wehrmacht and thought it was excellent.

Thanks!
                "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Lone Star Justice: The First Century of the Texas Rangers by Robert Utley.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• On the Road by Jack Kerouac, and the current issue of Armchair General magazine (January 2010).

Comment

• Crucible of War by Fred Anderson
                      A Call to Arms by Allan Mallinson
                      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Well written book about the tragic 1979 Fastnet race, thourghly recommended.
                        HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• A new addition to my library. In nearly 100 selections—poems, stories, novel excerpts, travel pieces, diary entries, memoirs, and letters—Becoming Americans presents the full range of the experience of coming to America: the reasons for departure, the journey itself, the shock and spectacle of first arrival, the passionate ambivalence toward the old country and the old life, and above all the struggle with the complexities of America. Arranged in chronological order by date of arrival, this unprecedented collection presents a history of the United States that is both familiar and surprisingly new, as seen through the fresh eyes and words of newcomers from more than 40 different countries.
                          17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• Found the winter 2009 MHQ in the bottom of a pack only half read. Enjoying the rest now.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Saving Afghanistan

Saving Afghanistan. Edited by V. Krishnappa, Shanthie Mariet D'Souza, and Priyanka Singh. Published by the Indian Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses.

According to the IDSA website, the book is "about the future of Afghanistan which seems to be rapidly slipping into chaos. It contains perspectives on counter-insurgency and nation-building in Afghanistan. The expert contributors in this book focus on some key issues like, the character of the conflict in Afghanistan; the role of regional actors; the nature of engagement of the US and its allies; the assessment of the future course of action by major actors and the role played by INGOs and the international community at large. More significantly, the experts sought to answer the crucial question: what can be done to stabilise Afghanistan? This volume is a collection of their insightful papers."

Very good and interesting read so far...

Alex

Comment

• For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X