Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another non military book. Although it does deal with a few Polish Jews who escaped the German invasion.

AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Just Doing My Job: Stories of Service from World War II

Just Doing My Job: Stories of Service from World War II

Product Description
      Preserving the personal histories of civilians and soldiers who united to defend America during the Second World War, this oral history tells the stories of ordinary citizens who left jobs and families behind to contribute to the war effort. Chronicling the sacrifices made by otherwise average people, this keepsake features profiles and interviews with the men and women who responded to the call to action by putting their lives on hold to fight for their country at home and abroad. From soldiers and spies to factory workers and nurses, the heroes profiled in this history include Dick Hamada, a Japanese-American who became a spy with the Office of Strategic Services; Edith McClure, an army nurse stationed in England; Bobby Hite, one of the famed Doolittle Raiders, who was captured by the Japanese and endured years of torture and solitary confinement; and pilot Bob Hoover, who was shot down over enemy territory and imprisoned but managed to escape by stealing a German plane.

by Jonna Doolittle Hoppes and General Arthur J. Lichte
      17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• Dipping into H. S. Commager & R. b. Morris's The Spirit of 'Seventy-Six.
        Reading Sir John Fortescue The war of Independence. The British Army in North America, 1775-1783.

Comment

• August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn - English translation obviously

Comment

• Just finished this

Just started this

Looks impressive so far. I may have to get this

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Blitzkrieg to Desert Storm:
              The Evolution of Operational Warfare by Robert Citino
              If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn - English translation obviously

Let us know how you like this book. I've been thinking about reading this for a while, but wondered if it was worthwhile since it seems it will take a while to finish.
                Currently reading "A Writer at War", but I've just started it and haven't formed any opinions yet about the book.
                George

Comment

• Munich, 1938: Appeasement and WW2 by David Faber

http://www.amazon.com/Munich-1938-Ap...0496639&sr=1-1
                  I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Hitlers Panzers by Dennis Showalter

Comment

• Enemy At The Gates- William Craig- second time reading this one.
                      "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Originally posted by Scout32 View Post
                        Blitzkrieg to Desert Storm:
                        The Evolution of Operational Warfare by Robert Citino

I was thinking of buying this one. How do you like it so far?

Thanks.
                        "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

• Originally posted by Memnon_Soter View Post
                          Platoon leader? It's a novel?
                          No, it is an Army officer's memoir of leading a platoon in Vietnam.
                          "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Michael Braddick, God's Fury, England's Fire. A New History of the English Civil Wars. Started it some time ago, but have now got back to it. Very good.
                            Also dipping into Richard Frothingham's History of the Siege of Boston etc. Always find him interesting.

Comment

• The Hunt for Zero Point
                              Inside the classified world of Anti-gravity Technology

&

Empires of the Sea
                              The Siege of Malta, The Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World.
                              Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to a Life of Warfare...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a0ORdQU
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sam4l...layer_embedded

Comment

• Originally posted by VancePolk View Post
                                I was thinking of buying this one. How do you like it so far?

Thanks.
                                Good book,especially if you've read his previous volume :The Quest for Decisive Victory.He covers some campaiggns that haven't gotten much print,such as Iran- Iraq war,India v Pakistan and some interesting information on the various Arab-Israeli wars.I highly recommend any book by Citino.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X