Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading "Memories" by Andrei Gromyko former Soviet Ambassador to US and Foreign Minister. Very interesting, although obviously I take it all with a grain of salt. I'm sure some of the things he says are true, but no way of knowing what part is true. The most interesting part of the book is when he talks about Stalin, who he obviously spent a lot time with. Book was written in 1988.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
      Reading "Memories" by Andrei Gromyko former Soviet Ambassador to US and Foreign Minister. Very interesting, although obviously I take it all with a grain of salt. I'm sure some of the things he says are true, but no way of knowing what part is true. The most interesting part of the book is when he talks about Stalin, who he obviously spent a lot time with. Book was written in 1988.
      I finished the book, thought it really was quite interesting, mostly for his comments on people on both sides of the iron curtain that he dealt with, not just Stalin. Conspicuous by its absence was any discussion of his impressions of Brezhnev. Unlike many books translated into English, I wasn't constantly aware I was reading a translation.

The Presidents about whom he had the most good to say were Kennedy and Nixon. I wasn't surprised when he made at least three comments questioning what forces were behind the Kennedy assassination.

In part, he had these comments about Nixon:

Watergate will give historians work for a long time to come, but actually boils down to a symptom of social decline: Was Nixon any worse than the others? Not at all. Maybe they used more subtle methods.

However, here it is pertinent to ask: is there any more criminal aim than preparing for nuclear war? Every thinking person can only answer no. Yet think of the cascades of deceptive statements that pour from the highest platforms, the torrents of unprincipled propaganda intended to prevent the banning of nuclear tests and the destruction of all forms of nuclear weapons. In comparison, the Watergate affair was a minor episode, and an internal one at that: but it has almost obscured the positive aspects of the Nixon administration's activities in the sphere of relations with the Soviet Union.

He also wrote about Nixon:

My impression was that he genuinely wanted to reach an understanding with the Soviet Union; indeed out meetings usually led to some progress. I cannot remember an occasion when he launched into a digression on the differing social structures of out states. He always presented himself as a pragmatist uninterested in the theoretical aspects of an issue, a man who preferred to keep discussions on a purely practical level.

The translation had 30,000 words added of interest to Western readers, and had sections taken out from the original edition. Gromyko died soon after the English version was written. Seems kind of like a "U. S. Grant" situation trying to get some money (hard currency) for his family before he dies.
      Last edited by lakechampainer; 27 Nov 09, 03:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackie View Post
        It's definitely a book I am going to read over and over. I just finished the chapter on the Kollaa defence, it's simply incredible how the Finnish managed to hold off against such odds.

I bet there's quite a lot of great books on the Winter War in Finland, if only they could be translated into English. The one I linked to earlier was written in the 1970s so didn't have access to some information that was later released; but it does have a lot of great stories from the Finnish side. I have only read snippets of it so far.
        Hey,

You are right. Someone really ought to translate a couple of classics into English, at least `Kollaa will hold` (Kollaa kestaa) and `Summa`. Maybe some small publisher who are more into making cultural feats rather than money would do it...

About Trotter`s book... I found it an entertaining read as well, but for some reason the writer has exaggerated things quite a lot. I don`t remember what exactly anymore, but the Finnish translation included about 30-40 pages of translators corrections. Hope I didn`t spoil it for you guys

Comment

• A NOISE OF WAR;CAESAR,POMPEY,OCTAVIAN AND THE STRUGGLE FOR MASTERY OF ROME by A.J. Languth
          &

HONORABLE COMPANY by Allan Mallinson-vol. 2 of the Matthew Hervey series.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Quesr for Decisive Victory by Robert Citino
            If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

• Such, Such We're the Joys, by George Orwell
              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• I started reading 'Last Shot' by Lee Child...it is a good book so far...he has a series about an ex Army Major Jack Reacher and dealing with life after being in the military all of his life...good fiction and good plots.
                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Almost finished with Platoon Leader by James McDonough. On deck and continuing the Vietnam theme are:

Lessons in Disaster
                  A Better War
                  The Village

I also received an early holiday gift and will be reading To The Gates of Richmond: The Peninsula Campaign.
                  "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Bargain Shopping

Picked these up for $6 total!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Finished Platoon Leader yesterday. Moving on to The Village. Should be an interesting comparison as both are about a platoon providing security to a village. The former taking place later in the war, while the latter takes place quite early.
                      "When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches." - Admiral King

Comment

• Originally posted by vyshka View Post
                        Finished Platoon Leader yesterday. Moving on to The Village. Should be an interesting comparison as both are about a platoon providing security to a village. The former taking place later in the war, while the latter takes place quite early.
                        Platoon leader? It's a novel?

Comment

• Reading "Ride The Thunder"...just finished "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin. A good read of her life made through hard work, love of country and faith. Wish she was visiting Hawaii on her book tour.
                          "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest of things is that man who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets men better and braver than himself protect him". John Stuart Mill

Comment

• The Sand Pebbles by Richard McKenna.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• A History of Russia by John Lawrence.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                                A History of Russia by John Lawrence.

Let me know how you like it...I have read Russka by Edward Rutherford and it is a good book that skims through alot of the history of Russia...enough to intrigue you to want to learn more about it...
                                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X