X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome

Originally posted by FTCS View Post
    As a new member of this forum thought I might as well get my feet wet. I have read all of the W.E.B Griffin books and he is my favorite author. My favorite series is "The Brotherhood of War" followed closely by "The Corps". At the present time I am reading Ralph Peters book "The War After Armageddon". For those that have not read it, it takes place probably 20 years in the future. Islam extremists has nuked Israel, Los Angles and Las Vegas. It is set in what was Israel with the Army and Marines fighting on one front and a different US force made up with Christian "Crusaders" fighting on a different front. The "Military Order of the Brothers in Christ" (Crusaders) have as their objective to exterminate any Muslim they come in contact with and reclaim the Holy Land. Most modern technology is worthless so it is basically an infantry war. Very thought provoking book on what happens if "religion" becomes the focus of a war.
    Welcome to the boards, FTCS. I hope you enjoy your stay I read some of the reviews on 'The War After Armageddon' and it appears to be highly recommended reading. My question is; what about a united Jewish resistance like the Irgun of the 30's and 40's? With Israel wiped off the map I would think Jews all over the world would be highly p****d off.

Harvey
    "Now there is one outstandingly important fact regarding Spaceship Earth, and that is that no instruction book came with it." Buckminster Fuller

http://harveylevy.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by FM Harvey View Post
      Welcome to the boards, FTCS. I hope you enjoy your stay I read some of the reviews on 'The War After Armageddon' and it appears to be highly recommended reading. My question is; what about a united Jewish resistance like the Irgun of the 30's and 40's? With Israel wiped off the map I would think Jews all over the world would be highly p****d off.

Harvey
      There is only one Israel combat team in the story and they play a very very minor role. From what I can gather all the Jewish citizens of Israel have been evacuated to the United States. Of course there wasn't too many left after the initial attack and the follow on occupation by Muslims.
      Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

• at the current time i am leisurely reading 'Works of Love' by Soren Kierkegaard.
        the answer is on the floor- john roseberry

A tiger dies and leaves his fur,
        A man dies and leaves his name,
        A teacher dies and teaches death.
        Seikchi Toguchi 1917-1998

Comment

• Commanche Six - James Estep

Right now I'm re-reading Commanche Six by James Estep. Its mostly about Estep's third Vietnam tour as a rifle company commander in the 1st Cav, 1967-68. He'd done his previous two tours with Special Forces, the first as an NCO and the second as an officer.

Estep has two great passions, the US Army and the American foot soldier (or snuffie as he calls them). He has nothing bad to say about either, which is the bias of the book. It's still an interesting read though, about a time when (as Estep relates) there was no doubt in any of his soldiers minds that in the end the Americans would be victorious.

Cheers,
          Dan.
          So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

• "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer

Comment

• Half Moon: Henry Hudson and the Voyage that Redrew the Map of the New World by Douglas Hunter.
              "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• Am reading Alden Bradford's A Particular Account of the Battle of Bunker or Breed's Hill On The June 17, 1775, published in 1825. Only 26 pages long but it seems particularly good from the American point of view.
                Have just got but not yet begun to read the following:
                John R. Elting's The Battle of Bunker's Hill.
                Annette Gordon-Reid's The Hemingses of Monticello. looks good. Anybody read it?
                And,John Robson's Captain Cook's War & Peace. The Royal Navy Years, 1755-1768. Published by the University of New South Wales Press, about two weeks ago I think, if people are interested.

Comment

• Just finished "Preserve it reader in remembrance of Me"
                  Not that great.
                  See my opinion under "Cival War"
                  John
                  The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
                  It's truly a simple concept.
                  Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

• Just finished 'Moscow Option' by David Downing and am about to embark on 'Colossal Cracks' by Stephen Ashley Hart.
                    Signing out.

Comment

• Good So Far

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Full Monty View Post
                        am about to embark on 'Colossal Cracks' by Stephen Ashley Hart.
                        FM,be careful around those big "cracks"!
                        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                          FM,be careful around those big "cracks"!
                          I always am. Losing stuff is an ongoing concern whenever I come across one.
                          Signing out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                            "Inside the Third Reich" by Albert Speer
                            Is it a good read? I read Toland's books on Hitler about 12 years ago and have been fascinated with WWII since...
                            "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                            "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
                              Is it a good read? I read Toland's books on Hitler about 12 years ago and have been fascinated with WWII since...
                              Thanks for asking.

From what I've read so far, it's an interesting book about the personal side of Hitler by one of his closest confidants, his dreams for immortality through an architectural legacy of enormous buildings, the rivalries within the Nazi hierarchy for Hitler's favor, as well as personal wealth and power, and the vast sums of money that was being spent upon these projects and how the true cost was being hidden from the German public through the use of various branches of the government.

Speer also laments of how he became entranced by Hitlers personality to the point, not so much that he was blinded by what was going on around him, but more so that he didn't want to notice the events, as serving Hitler and fulfilling his work were more important to him.

EDIT:

BTW, What are you thoughts on Toland's books?
                              Last edited by Gorque; 21 Oct 09, 07:12.

Comment

• David Livingstone (a bio) by Thomas Hughes.

Amazing that this guy survived as long as he did.
                                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X