Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I am reading The Fall of the Roman Empire, by Peter Heather. It promises to be very interesting.
    Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Good read?

Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
      Voices Of The Foreign Legion by Adrian D Gilbert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
        Aren't Medieval noble families just fun to read about?

Mortimers,de Montforts,Warricks,Godwins,etc,etc.
        Some of their exploits would make Jerry Springer run away
        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
          Currently Reading - The Myth of the Great War: How the Germans Won the Battles and How the Americans Saved the Allies
          Never read the book but of course you have to allow for the fact that the Americans completely missed the first half of that war(now where have I heard that before?) and came in comparatively fresh. Whereas the British and French were almost exhausted!!
          'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
          " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
            Never read the book but of course you have to allow for the fact that the Americans completely missed the first half of that war(now where have I heard that before?) and came in comparatively fresh. Whereas the British and French were almost exhausted!!
            Maybe you should read the book before you pass judgement on it.
            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
              I have to back off my earlier statement somewhat. The book I have has numerous typos and some dates are wrong. The dates might be typos also, but somehow I think it's sloppy fact checking. For instance, he gives 31 July 1939 as the final date that Hitler gave the order to invade Poland. He then says the German army attacked at dawn. Unless a typo, he's saying WW2 started on 1 August 1939. Got to be a typo. A WW2 historian would not make a mistake like that.

Another mistake is when I read "from from" instead of "far from". Distracting to say the least. Maybe it was just bad proof-reading. I hope so anyway.

These were just the mistakes I remember off the top of my head. There are others. But Davies does write well and is highly readable.
              Thanks.

It is a bit off putting, I will notch it down the list a bit!

Comment

• Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                I saw it when I was in NYC a few weeks back. I only read the back of it and that text portrayed the British and French as bumbling idiots - a stereotypical view of the British Army in WW1 - then the US came in and saved the day. I don't know about the French Army so I won't comment on it but by 1917/18 the British Army had become well versed in the use of artillery, armour, infantry and air assets on the battlefield. It was adept at trench warfare. It was the British that pioneered the use of the tank and had a cadre of officers capable in its use. The British Army in 1917/18 was a very well organised machine and it was its own experiences that shaped it that way.

Comment

• I've got a couple of books on the go at the moment. Am reading Robert Harvey's "A Few Bloody Noses." The Realities and Mythologies of the American Revolution.. His analysis of the Saratoga campaign seems breath-takingly original, (though I need to read more on that campaign to be sure.) Pity he has no footnotes. I really would like to know where some of the quotes came from so I can get the books.

Have just finished Grace Kaarskens The Colony. A History of Early Sydney. One of many good starting points for anyone interested in early Australian colonial history.

And I've just started Thomas Keneally's Australians, Origins to Eureka. His Commonwealth of Thieves wasn't bad, but this one is just excellent.

Both the Australian history books have just been published over here. I tend to be a very critical reader of history, but I can strongly recommend both of them without reservation.
                  Last edited by Paul Burns; 18 Sep 09, 00:38.

Comment

• Just finished: Boris Gavrilov, Dolina Smerti: Tragediya i podvig 2-i udarnoi armii (The Valley of Death: Tragedy and heroism of the 2nd Shock Army)

next: Belaya bor'ba na severo-zapade Rossii 1918-1920 (The White Struggle in North-West Russia 1918-1920).

Comment

• Paul Johnson's A history of the American People.
                      Just finished "A Bridge to Far" and "Miracle at Midway

Comment

• The Sword of the Lady. by S.M. Stirling
                        Part of his Emberverse series
                        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

• I finished the book on Sir Roger Mortimer and have to say it was a very interesting read...I started another one on this subject by Paul Doherty called "Isabella and the Strange Death of Edward II"...i am on the 3rd chapter as of yet, but it is pretty good so far...now totally off of this subject...has anyone read "Napoleon His wives and his women' by Christopher Hibbert? a friend suggested it and said it was good and I am a newbie about Napoleon....but I do find him a fascinating character..
                          "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                          "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Legate View Post
                            Maybe you should read the book before you pass judgement on it.
                            I was not passing judgement on the book my friend,I just state a fact!!
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                            " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Originally posted by olivenstein View Post
                              Good read?
                              Quite good, but relies a little to much on quotes from memoires you have probably read before (eg Simon Murray, to name one of the usual suspects - not that his is a bad account of the Legion fighting in Algeria in the 1950's).
                              HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• I just read (it only takes about an hour) and interesting little book called "Who Moved My Cheese". It is a parable about dealing with change in your life. As one who is going back to school after more than 25 years away it was a timely read.

http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/
                                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X