Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got tired of asking what's the difference between different denominations.

Seems like a good book so far.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Currently:

Eagles and Empire: The United States, Mexico, and the Struggle for a Continent
      By David A. Clary

Taylor to Santa Anna: "Tell him to go to hell."
      As translated by Major Bliss: "In reply to your note of this date, summoning me to surrender my forces at discretion, I beg leave to say that I decline acceding to your request."

Comment

• 'Justinian's Flee'. About the first great plague and the fall of the Roman Empire.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Salud! An Irishman in Spain (Methuen, London, 1937),

Peadar O'Donnell's book detailing his experiences in Spain in the early months of the revolution and civil war in 1936, is a little- known account of these events by one of Ireland's best known and respected radical figures. It is particularly interesting for Irish anarchists, given its sympathetic treatment of the anarcho-syndicalist contribution by a long-time 'fellow traveller' of the orthodox Irish communist movement, which has always set out to denigrate that contribution.

Peadar O'Donnell was born into an Irish speaking family in Dungloe, County Donegal in northwest Ireland, in 1893. He attended St. Patrick's College, Dublin, where he trained as a teacher. He taught on Arranmore Island off the west coast of Donegal before spending time in Scotland.

Here's a little ditty in his honor:
          17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• For an Anglo-USA view at the highest level this book is hard to beat.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Central Europe - Enemies, Neighbors, Friends by Lonnie R. Johnson

Comment

• Just finished Alexei Isayev, Pyat' Krugov Ada: Krasnaya Armiya v "Kotlakh" (Five Circles of Hell: The Red Army in the German encirclements)

Next: Boris Gavrilov, Dolina Smerti: Tragediya i podvig 2-i udarnoi armii (The Valley of Death: Tragedy and heroism of the 2nd Shock Army)

Comment

• Wow, that's really interesting. This is one author that I'm noting down. I've been heavily into the SCW lately reading accounts from both sides: Orwell, Peter Kemp, Esmond Romilly, John Cornford, The Duke of Larios...there was also this book with accounts of two Welshmen, one Communist dying at Belchite with the International Brigades, and the other joining the Spanish Foreign Legion for the Rebel cause, who gets evacuated with O'Duffy's Irish Bandera. Thank you!

Right now I'm reading Jack Kerouac's "The Subterraneans".

Originally posted by 17thAirborneSon View Post
                  Peadar O'Donnell's book detailing his experiences in Spain in the early months of the revolution and civil war in 1936, is a little- known account of these events by one of Ireland's best known and respected radical figures. It is particularly interesting for Irish anarchists, given its sympathetic treatment of the anarcho-syndicalist contribution by a long-time 'fellow traveller' of the orthodox Irish communist movement, which has always set out to denigrate that contribution.

Peadar O'Donnell was born into an Irish speaking family in Dungloe, County Donegal in northwest Ireland, in 1893. He attended St. Patrick's College, Dublin, where he trained as a teacher. He taught on Arranmore Island off the west coast of Donegal before spending time in Scotland.

Here's a little ditty in his honor:

Comment

• Er.... the last two seem really high brow. I'm reading about tanks .

6th Guards tank brigade by Patrick Forbes .
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

• Yeah, don't bother with Subterraneans it's way too mixed up. But check out this though: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Agains.../dp/0750916451

I may have mentionned this book already; but you'll be interested as Cardiff native Frank H. Thomas writes very clearly about fighting in the Spanish Foreign Legion alongside Moroccan soldiers against Communist Spanish General Lister's elite 11th Brigada and it's Russian tanks when he was gravely wounded and almost perished in '37!

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                      Er.... the last two seem really high brow. I'm reading about tanks .

6th Guards tank brigade by Patrick Forbes .

Comment

• Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and its Aftermath

http://www.tearsinthedarkness.com/

"Tears in the Darkness" is the story of the worst defeat in American military history, the four-month fight for the tiny peninsula of Bataan in the Philippine Islands the first major land battle for America in World War II. On April 9, 1942, more than 76,000 men under American command surrendered to their Japanese captors, who set them walking sixty-six miles to prison camp, a notorious walk that came to be known as "The Bataan Death March."
                        "Tears In the Darkness" is history written as story, thousands of sources and hundreds of interviews carefully woven into a tight narrative that recreates those dramatic days and the men Americans, Japanese and Filipinos who lived them.

Comment

• The Thin Red Line by James Jones.
                          "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Why the Allies Won by Richard Overy.

Comment

• The Little Known Front By Eric Urbain

[Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                                The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X