This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antony Beevor

Really! Funny, I've been hearing grumblings about Antony Beevor--that his historical bestsellers are found lacking. I was intending to read his "Battle for Spain" as that's what's interesting me at the moment (his book promises revelations on the Soviet view of the Spanish Civil War. But maybe I ought to start with Hugh Thomas' book on the SCW, am I correct in thinking so? lcm, what are your thoughts on Beevor?

Right now, I took out two books from the Vancouver Public Library: "Moonraker" which is an excellent quick read; and "Brother against Brother" compiled by Robert Stradling on two Welshmen from Cardiff who fought in the Spanish Civil War--one in the Communist pro-Republican International Brigades, and the other joins the Spanish Foreign Legion to fight for Franco.

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
    Hate to tell you this Pyle but The battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor, you could not have made a worse choice and that is saying something, for there are a few bad ones around!!

Comment

• A Terrible Revenge by Alfred-Maurice de Zayas
      Last edited by Gorque; 24 Jul 09, 13:20.

Comment

• I just finished reading Horse Soldiers: The Extraordinary Story of a Band of U.S. Soldiers who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan by Doug Stanton

This was an excellent book that I throughly enjoyed. I could hardly put it down. It read like a novel.

I must get his In Harm's Way. The man can write!

Right before I read that one I read The Last Shot: The Incredible Story of the CSS Shenandoah and the True Conclusion of the American Civil War by Lynn Schooler

Again a quite interesting story that I really enjoyed.

Other things that I read this month were the novel City of Thieves by David Benioff which is about the Siege of Leningrad. Fascinating story of a mission given to two condemned men to go find a dozen eggs for the General's daughter's wedding.

Then the novel The Ambassador's Son by Homer Hickam. A WWII story that involves JFK right after his PT109 was cut in half by a Japanese ship. The plot seemed pretty far fetched to me, but it was a fun read.

I also read The King of Lies by John Hart. Murder and betrayal in Rowan County, NC. Hart is another lawyer who has turned to writing and he does it quite well.

I also read a 3 chick lit things that I doubt you guys would be interested in, although NPR has been running some stuff about male fans of "Bodice Rippers". It seems that some men can really get into that sort of thing!
        Homo homini lupus

Comment

• Henri de Wailly's "Syrie 1941, La guerre occultee, Vichyistes contre gaullistes", plus finished "Moonraker" and am now onto Ian Fleming's "Diamonds are Forever". Lots of time to read currently for a change!

Comment

• Link to a review: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den
            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• I think you are pulling my leg Laurent, I have made my opinion of Mr Beevor very plain, I think he likes to give the readers the impression that he is so inteligent ( which no doubt he is) but in doing so he completely loses the plot of producing a good, holding, read. Something that breathes the warmth of the lives of the characters involved, which is still possible even in non fiction!! Cheers Lcm1.
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• The Black Company by Glen Cook.

Awesome series...
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

• Sorry, Lcm!

I think you are pulling my leg Laurent, I have made my opinion of Mr Beevor very plain, I think he likes to give the readers the impression that he is so inteligent ( which no doubt he is) but in doing so he completely loses the plot of producing a good, holding, read. Something that breathes the warmth of the lives of the characters involved, which is still possible even in non fiction!! Cheers Lcm1.

Comment

• No sweat Laurie! Cheers, Ken.
                    'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
                    " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• No prob, man. Who are your favorite historians?

Enjoy your weekend,

Larry

No sweat Laurie! Cheers, Ken.
                      Last edited by olivenstein; 31 Jul 09, 01:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        The Black Company by Glen Cook.

Awesome series...
                        Good stuff.

I read that back in the eighties...
                        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

• Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                          I'm just on the eve of the Battle of the Bulge and I have to admit that so far this book has lived up to it's reputation.........a chillingly accurate description of the struggle to control one's fears while be deprived of sleep, always being cold and forcing down day after day of "K" rations. I wonder just how loud a railway gun would be?
                          I finished "Company Commander" and I would say that it lived up to it's reviews as one of the best first person accounts of the war.

It almost reads as two different books........his time with Co. "I" is all about being on the defensive, being attacked. Then there's almost an intermission while he's wounded and recooperating, then his return to combat with Co. "G" is all on the offensive, almost a mad rush into battle.

Comic highlight is his attempt to accept the "surrender" of the city of Leipzig from it's chief of police.

The maps from the 2006 reprint are arguably the best that I've ever seen included with a book. They offer incredible detail and come in their own plastic sleeve.
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

• Yom Kippur War

I've been reading the 'Yom Kippur War" by Abraham Rabinovich and the stories from the first 2 days of fighting are just incredible. Two individuals standout in my mind for their valor, possibly saving their country in the process.

If you talk about famous "last stands" or delaying actions you'd have to put these two near the top of the list. Both won their country's highest medal for valor.

http://www.amazingben.com/arf0123.html

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...hp/t-3801.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avigdor_Kahalani

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Valley_of_Tears
                              Last edited by Lance Williams; 08 Aug 09, 11:43.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• Just got done with the first book in The Great War Trilogy, started the second book. Click on the picture for a short description

Harry Turtledove
                                "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X