Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Jose Larios' "Combat over Spain": http://ipac3.vpl.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?...&ipp=20&spp=20

Comment

• Some urban fantasy by Richelle Mead, a welcome change from military books

Comment

• I just started this one last night -- got it for $ .50 at the thrift store and figured it might be worth that much.

The Ideology of Slavery: Proslavery Thought in the Antebellum South, 1830-1860 by Drew Gilpin Faust

Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
        http://www.mormon.org
        http://www.sca.org
        http://www.scv.org/
        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• In the Shadow of His Wings

Finished Brotherhood of Warriors, it was a great book and very eye-opening about Israeli Spec Ops.

Now I'm about to start on another really great memoir, entitled In the Shadow of His Wings, a true story about a German seminarian who gets drafted into the SS early on in the war, but is discharged in '41. He still manages to get ordained, and after being discharged from the SS serves as a chaplain and NCO in the Wehrmacht. After the war I believe he went to Japan and ministered there. Should be a fascinating read! A great book for anyone interested in the SS, WWII memoirs, Germany during WWII, or just a slightly different aspect of WWII.

Regards,
          Alex

Comment

• True Crime: An American Anthology

True Crime: An American Anthology
            “This anthology is almost obscenely entertaining . . . it is also a searching look at the dark underside of American reality, at an aspect of the human condition that both horrifies and fascinates us. ”—The Washington Post

Here is the full spectrum of the true-crime genre, from William Bradford's account of the hanging of a murderer who came over on the Mayflower to Dominick Dunne's relentless narrative of the case of the Menendez brothers. It focuses on some of the most notorious criminal cases in American history: the Helen Jewett murder, the assassination of President Garfield, the Snyder-Gray murder (the inspiration for Double Indemnity), Leopold and Loeb, the Lindbergh kidnapping, the Black Dahlia, the Manson family, the "Son of Sam."
            17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• Sounds interesting Laurent,enlighten me a little regarding the Captain !!
              'By Horse by Tram'.

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
              " Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Certainly, lcm1! "Combat over Spain" was written by the Marquis of Larios/Duke of Lerma one the five grandees of Spain who first fought as part of bombardier crew, then as part of Major Garcia Morato's Fiat fighter squadron against what he describes as the "Red" air force.

Educated at one of the best English public schools, he was obviously very privileged; and he comes across in barely concealed arrogant tones.

But Nationalist or Rebel accounts of the Spanish Civil War are rare, so I try to read them; and Capitain Larios writes well and was undoubtably brave.

Also enjoyed Peter Kemp's writings on being a Carlist cavalryman and then a Spanish Foreign Legion officer "Mine were of Trouble" and "The Thorns of Memory".

I'd like to translate parts of Robert Brasillach "Histoire de la guerre d'Espagne" from French to English, relating the French angle in this sad Iberian struggle.

Also very much enjoyed Republican accounts by George Orwell as well as Esmound Romilly.

I have yet to read anything by Condor veterans such as Adolf Galand or from the Soviet/Russian Expeditionary Forces. Another book I want to read is Georges Bernanos' bloody eyewitness report of the SCW on the island of Majorca (he came from a conservative Catholic background, but was aparently sickened by Nationalist executions of Republicans).

The more one reads about the SCW and gets the names of Santander, Tureal, University City, Ebro, Malaga, Gijon, Brunete, Barcelona, and Alcazar bouncing around in ones head, one starts hearing the sound of guitars, castanettes, and bullfighting!

Originally posted by lcm1 View Post
                Sounds interesting Laurent,enlighten me a little regarding the Captain !!

Comment

• Thank you Laurent, very informative I will try to find that book! Ken.
                  'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Reading three books at once as I always seem to do:

Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq by Steve Fainaru

D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor

Hell in Huertgen Forest by Richard Rush

All three are pretty good so far!

Comment

• 'How to keep Dinosaurs' by Robert Marsh. Sounds daft but is very funny, if you are feeling down then this will give you a lift.

HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                        I just finished "Sea of Thunder". I think the most enlightening thing it brings out is the humanity of Adm. Kurita who for years was criticised for not being agressive enough. It turns out that he was just a leader who saw through the facade of the bushido culture and didn't want to send the remainder of his fleet to a pointless death when the result of the war was inevitable.

Now after reading the website/memoirs of one of our newer members, Frantek, I think that it's finally time to read "Company Commander" by Charles B. MacDonald. I have the 2006 reprint version with some great new maps.
                        I'm just on the eve of the Battle of the Bulge and I have to admit that so far this book has lived up to it's reputation.........a chillingly accurate description of the struggle to control one's fears while be deprived of sleep, always being cold and forcing down day after day of "K" rations. I wonder just how loud a railway gun would be?
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

• History of the 6th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry

by Joseph R. Reinhart
                          The most visable part of a persons education is their parents example !

Christianity is made far too complicated by far too many denominations.
                          It's truly a simple concept.
                          Dont take my word for it---Read the Book of Romans!

Comment

• Hate to tell you this Pyle but The battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor, you could not have made a worse choice and that is saying something, for there are a few bad ones around!!
                            'By Horse by Tram'.

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"

Comment

• Charles de Gaulle by Don Cook - Most excellent the audio is masterfully narrated by Frederick Davidson...his intonations, Francais and accents are superb and greatly add to it.
                              This magnificent volume by veteran European correspondent Don Cook is the first major biography of de Gaulle written by an American from an American perspective. Rich with new anecdotal material, it offers fresh evaluations and sheds new light on Europe’s most controversial and enigmatic general, politician, and statesman.
                              I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

• Sophie's Choice

In Sophie's Choice, William Styron does a masterful job of telling a horrific tale in bearable way. Sophie is a Polish Christian who survived 18 months in Auschwitz before the camp was liberated by the Allies. Of course her story is heartbreaking. But Styron unfolds the tale in a way that allows the reader to take it all in without being crushed by the sadness of it.

update******************************************** ******
                                Last Updated: Thursday, November 2, 2006

Pulitzer Prize-winning author William Styron, who wrote Sophie’s Choice and The Confessions of Nat Turner, has died at a Massachusetts hospital.

The 81-year-old novelist died in Martha’s Vineyard on Wednesday after a bout with pneumonia, Styron’s daughter Alexandra confirmed.
                                Writer William Styron died Wednesday in Martha's Vineyard at age 81.
                                (Langevin/Associated Press)

The writer’s obsessions with class, race and personal guilt brought him acclaim and attention.

Virginia-born Styron captured the Pulitzer Prize for his 1967 book The Confessions of Nat Turner, a fictional account of the man who led the slave revolt of 1831. His portrayal of Turner as both a hero and a madman earned him condemnation from civil rights activists and African-Americans.
                                17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X