Were these two books ever written?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were these two books ever written?

There are two subjects that I'm interested in and I wonder if books were ever written about them
    1. The Royal Navy during Empire (early 20th century) specializing in the different Stations, Royal Dockyards and coaling stations.
    2. Personal remembrances of life aboard RN cruisers during the interwar years while on foreign stations.
    Any help would be appreciated---Thanks!

I found one of the books that I was looking for. I just got it today, and although the price was steep, it appears to be worth it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Support-Fleet-.../dp/1848020554

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      I found one of the books that I was looking for. I just got it today, and although the price was steep, it appears to be worth it.
      http://www.amazon.com/Support-Fleet-.../dp/1848020554
      The book wasn't as good as I first thought that it would be. It focuses more on the architects and architecture of the buildings than it does on how the dockyards themselves worked.

Comment

Lessons learned.
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

In regards coaling stations....would you be wanting a strategic examination of such stations and bases or accounts of what they were like to be in?
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

You might find something of interest, particularly in the footnotes of these two books:
            The Royal Navy, Seapower and Strategy Between the Wars

Far-flung Lines: Studies in Imperial Defence in Honour of Donald Mackenzie Schurman

The chapter "The Royal Navy and the Defence of Empire 1928-1934" by Orest Babij is available via Google books and may be useful.

For life on a cruiser interwar, I'm sure you'll find some leads here:

Able Seamen: The Lower Deck of the Royal Navy, 1850-1939
            Amazon book description:
            Brian Lavery returns with the second volume of his engaging social history of the Royal Navy's 'lower deck.' Able Seamen addresses a range of issues central to the evolution of the seaman through 89 years of change. Readable, engaging and authoritative, it chronicles an important stage in the history of the Royal Navy and illuminates the inherent adaptability of the lower deck, as new technologies demanded increased professionalism, specialization, and training. The book also examines the changing social structure of the Navy, and the great demands made on the Service throughout the British Empire.

Comment

The Royal Navy, Seapower and Strategy Between the Wars

darn fine read I thought

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X