The Rise and Fall of an American Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise and Fall of an American Army

Just purchased this book by Shelby Stanton on Amazon.fr, anyone who read it could give me his opinion?

congratulations on your purchase

I've read it, and consider it to be a minor classic. It's a great short history of both the conduct and course of the war and the wars impact on the US Army. I found it to be utterly facinating.

It's also a useful tool against those revisionists who claim that the Vietnam War was a US victory and that the military was 'stabbed in the back'. As a former Green Beret and author of many authoritative works (most notably 'Vietnam Order of Battle'), Stanton is close to beyond rebuke, and he does a fantastic job of describing where the war went wrong, and how the US Army deteriorated during the war.

BTW, Stanton's book on the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam is also excelent.
    Owner and operator, Armed Forces of the Asia Pacific
    Forum administrator, www.orbat.com
    Co-administrator, www.historic-battles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Case
      I've read it, and consider it to be a minor classic. It's a great short history of both the conduct and course of the war and the wars impact on the US Army. I found it to be utterly facinating.

It's also a useful tool against those revisionists who claim that the Vietnam War was a US victory and that the military was 'stabbed in the back'. As a former Green Beret and author of many authoritative works (most notably 'Vietnam Order of Battle'), Stanton is close to beyond rebuke, and he does a fantastic job of describing where the war went wrong, and how the US Army deteriorated during the war.

BTW, Stanton's book on the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam is also excelent.
      Thanks for your insight Case. I have his 1st Cav Anatomy of a Division as well as Vietnam Order of Battle which was reprinted last year. I hope an editor will reprint his US Army WWII OOB, heard it's equally as good.

Comment

Unfortunatley Stanton is somewhat of a fraud. He never served as he has stated, he was in the Army but embellished his record to sell books. This is from

FMS Newsletter

Moreover, Summers had written an introduction to Shelby Stanton's
        book, The Rise and Fall of an American Army. Summers praised Stanton
        as a "Vietnam combat veteran decorated for valor and now retired as a
        result of wounds suffered on the battlefield." But Stanton's claimed
        combat experience as a Ranger performing underwater scuba missions in
        the Mekong River was fabricated. Stanton was never in combat and did
        not earn the medals he claimed. In fact, Stanton was never in Vietnam!
        He had a desk job in Thailand for one year and was then retired from
        the Army because of his asthma. A few issues later, Shelby Stanton's
        name disappeared from the Vietnam's masthead.
        Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by Case
          It's also a useful tool against those revisionists who claim that the Vietnam War was a US victory and that the military was 'stabbed in the back'.
          What moron has said that?
          Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
          Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
          http://www.mormon.org
          http://www.sca.org
          http://www.scv.org/
          http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat
            Just purchased this book by Shelby Stanton on Amazon.fr, anyone who read it could give me his opinion?
            You have probably already figured out that I love it and have
            studied it closely . I've had it for almost 15 years!
            Man, I'm getting old .
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• asterix
              New York AG to sue the NRA
              by asterix
              New York Attorney General Letitia James launches lawsuit against the National Rifle Association alleging financial discrepancies:

https...
              Today, 05:46
            • casanova
              Emanuel Macron
              by casanova
              The French president Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut, Libanon. He watched the devastation in the city, caused by the Amoniumnitrat explosion....
              Today, 01:27
            • casanova
              Beirut
              by casanova
              A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
              Yesterday, 23:35
            Working...
            X