Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazines

Does anyone collect some of the WW2 or history themed magazines?

WW2 History
    Arm Chair General
    Militaria
    and I think there is one called Military History or something.

I keep picking up the one that has Heinz Guderian on the cover (this months) and I'm thining of subscribing.

Thoughts?

Rev
    But courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility.

Erwin Rommel

Well (looks at logo, top left) you're certainly in the right place to talk about Armchair General.

Have you checked out the ACG Forums here? You can discuss and talk directly with the authors of the articles that appear in the magazine. if you've any doubts about subscribing to the magazine, there are lots of people here who would tall you it's a great read!

Not sure about the others, I don't think they are available in the UK, but I think there was a thread about one of the WWII ones a few months back if that's any help.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Here are my picks and choices:

ACG is number one for me.
      Military Heritage number 2
      WW2 History number 3
      http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Originally posted by Rev
        Does anyone collect some of the WW2 or history themed magazines?

WW2 History
        Arm Chair General
        Militaria
        and I think there is one called Military History or something.

I keep picking up the one that has Heinz Guderian on the cover (this months) and I'm thining of subscribing.

Thoughts?

Rev
        Hello Rev!

I'm the Publisher/Founder of Armchair General and so naturally I highly recommend it!

Of the others I would put Military Heritage and WW2 History as the next best choices. They are both published by Sovereign Media and they do make a better than average effort to produce a quality Magazine.

The other one worthy of considertaion is MHQ...Military History Quarterly.

The three magazines I referenced are all traditional history magazines which present history in what I call a "names, dates, and places" manner.

Our mission at Armchair General is a little different. We try to invite the reader to "experience" the history and not just read passively about it. We really try to make history come alive for our readers.

Well I hope you'll consider us for one of your subscriptions. Thanks for stopping by the website!
        Publisher
        Armchair General Magazine
        Weider History Group

Comment

Good plug for the magazine Eric
          Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

"Military History" is an excellent magazine and mkaes a good companion to "ACG". I also subscribe to "Fine Scale Modeler".
            One of my favorites is "Impact"; it was the USAAF magazine in WWII. About 25 years ago it was re-released in a bound, hardcover set of 10 books comparable in size to the Time-Life WWII series.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

i subscribe to

Military History Quarterly
              ACG
              Military History
              World War II
              Military History Illustrated
              Military Heritage

all are good, but some are better than others...
              Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

I subscribe to the following (in decending order of enjoyment):

Armchair General
                Military History
                Military Heritage
                World War II
                World War II History
                Aviation History
                History Channel Magazine

I have subcribed to Military History the longest and find it along with Military Heritage to be great starting points to find out about battles/campaigns/leaders that are not so well known. Both cover military history in its entirety without any major focus upon a certain time period. Each issue will have 5-7 articles, plus recurring sections about weapons, personalities and book reviews.

World War II and World War II Heritage are obviously based on a narrow time frame. Again they have 5-7 articles per issue. For the novice they would give a great deal of info. For me I find them a bit repetative, but there are always 1-2 articles about obscure battles/individuals that I find of great interest. They also often have interviews with veterans that are usually first rate.

Aviation History is to me hit or miss. It includes as much civilian aviation as it does military aviation.

The History Channel Magazine is also a hit or miss affair that is still evolving (it's only a year old). Sometimes it has good articles, but all too often it feels that it's just a marketing tool for the various products available from the parent network.

The Armchair General is unique in that it lets me apply what I've learned from other sources to actual command situations. It is also unique in the online forums it supports and the wonderful degree of interactivity its staff has with its readers. The forums provide bits of info from international contributors that never fail to enlighten me and the staff truly listens to the input of its readers.........
                Last edited by Lance Williams; 21 Dec 04, 11:20.
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I really haven't subscribe any magazines yet, but I usually pick the magazines in books store like Barne and Noble, Hastings, etc etc.

Air Classic
                  Air Force Magazine
                  Armchair General
                  Aviation History
                  Flight Journal
                  Leatherneck Magazine of the Marines
                  Warbirds International
                  World War II

Comment

The only thing I currently subscribe to is the International Air Power Review. It used to to be solely modern aviation but the publisher combined it with another magazine and has both modern and historic planes in it. If you like avaition this is a great magazine. It is quarterly btw.
                    As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                    Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr
                      The only thing I currently subscribe to is the International Air Power Review. It used to to be solely modern aviation but the publisher combined it with another magazine and has both modern and historic planes in it. If you like avaition this is a great magazine. It is quarterly btw.

It is great, but it is also pricey.
                      :flag:
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

I curently suscribe to WWII magazine and I like it very much, Its hard for me to get ACG all the time because I there is only one place to get it and that is at the grocery store (when they have it that is!), I love the articles in ACG, they really do let you interact with history like eric said.

Thanks

Eagle is back
                        Peter Williams

"We're not lost private, we're in Normandy"-

Lt. Richard Winters 101st 506 pir

Comment

Originally posted by eagle101
                          I curently suscribe to WWII magazine and I like it very much, Its hard for me to get ACG all the time because I there is only one place to get it and that is at the grocery store (when they have it that is!), I love the articles in ACG, they really do let you interact with history like eric said.

Thanks

Eagle is back
                          Subscribe! Subscribe!

Dr. S.
                          Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Armchair, Mil. Heritage, Air Force, and WWII are the only military ones I get now, I had to dump a few subscriptions because I really don't have the time to read more than 2 magazines a week (and I have others that I read as well).

I'm sorta interested to finally be reading my Sep/Oct 2001 edition of Foreign Affairs...
                            If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

Comment

1)ACG
                              2)America's Civil War
                              3)Civil War Times Illustrated
                              4)American History
                              5)Military History Quarterly
                              6)Blue & Gray

Just about anything else that I find at the store that is covering military history.

Mark
                              Deo Vindice
                              Salus Per Christum
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X