Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about some books I'll be reading

Hello all,

I just successfully signed up for a class on...Barbarians! I've been wanting to take this class ever since I saw it was on my college's winter term course catalog, and am soooo happy I was able to get it! to top it off, the star of the county down that is a particular young lady happens to be taking the same class...

We do have a reading list, though I dunno if we actually read all the way through them, but I'm curious if any of you have read any of these and could perhaps warn me about any inaccuracies or biases from the authors, that I should be aware of. I know this is pretty far in advance but I'm pumped for the class! Who wouldn't want to take a class where you learn about the Vikings, Celts, etc AND get a huge feast at the end of the term!

Anyways here goes:

Thomas Cahill, How the Irish Saved Civilization
    James Campbell, The Anglo-Saxons
    Malcolm Todd, Everyday Life of the Barbarians
    Simon Keynes, Alfred the Great
    Gregory of Tours, History of the Franks
    The Nibelungenlied
    Morris Bishop, The Middle Ages

Thanks!
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

I suggest finding a good book on the Goths; they're the main group who kicked The Roman's miserable arse.

Comment

I would struggle through the books on the list and also read the links provided by Kevin. There's a good chance you would learn something and a good chance you might be interested in that time period. At any rate, I don't see a problem with wasting a couple weeks of your life.
      Skip

Comment

Just finished in the last week "How the Irish Saved Civilization" a weak take on this outpost of Roman Civilization and the return of knowledge to the continent after 500CE but as a general read worth the coin (as someone wrote elsewhere)

Comment

Ah I had rather forgotten about this thread. The class in January was awesome! So awesome! Each Friday (except for the first) we got visited by reenacting Romans, Celts, and finally Vikings.

I think the Roman reenactors were supposed to be Legio X Fretentis. I don't remember the name of the Celts'/Gauls' group, but I really like the name of the Vikings' group--"Bjornstad Vikings"...'bjorn' in Norse = bear, and 'stad' = state. So...Bear State = California!
          "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X