• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken S.
    replied
    Originally posted by TDurden View Post
    Thanks Carpe Matter of fact its already on my wish list
    I came across the listing on amazon yesterday, and it seems that amazon itself has the book permanently (?) discounted at $9.90. "New" marketplace copies are also fairly inexpensive now.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied
    I have too many. Longknife and Sea to Shining Sea by James Alexander Thom. Six Wives of Henry VIII, I like several by Alison Weir. I also like The Killer Angels and Gods and Generals.
    I have a collection of books on the druids, and ancient Rome. So I cannot just name one.

Leave a comment:

• rebpreacher
    replied

Yeah!

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post

Leave a comment:

• HistoricalExplo
    replied
    Blood and Thunder

Blood and Thunder - An Epic of the American West by Hampton Sides

Leave a comment:

• Checkertail20
    replied
    Harvard's Civil War by Richard Miller is my favorite. It is about the 20th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment that fought in the 2nd Corps during the American Civil War.

Leave a comment:

• globetrotter
    replied
    Originally posted by ElefantPanzer View Post
    If I could have only one history book it would have to be the most important ever written, the Bible.
    That's not a history book... but thanks for the laugh. It was a good way to start my morning.

Barbara Tuchman's "The Guns of August" and "The March Of Folly".

The Heike Monogatari

Thucydides' "History of the Peloponnesian War"
    Last edited by globetrotter; 23 Aug 14, 02:58.

Leave a comment:

• LtCol
    replied
    Montross' book is for sure a great read! It was at one time required reading for Marine officers candidates. I used it as a source for my Master thesis.

Leave a comment:

• TDurden
    replied
    Originally posted by CarpeDiem View Post
    I'd wait and get this book in September.

Where the Iron Crosses Grow: The Crimea 1941-44

Forczyk is a pretty solid writer.
    Thanks Carpe Matter of fact its already on my wish list

Leave a comment:

• R.N. Armstrong
    replied
    My single most selection would have to be a book which I have held on to since the 1950's and I use it the way Sennef uses Foote's, but it is not as elegantly written, but a good quick reference: "War Through the Ages" by Lynn Montross.

Leave a comment:

• Wellington95
    replied
    Another fantastic read I'd like to suggest to any interested in Early Modern European history:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy
    By Peter H. Wilson

Leave a comment:

• CarpeDiem
    replied
    Originally posted by TDurden View Post
    I'm looking for some new reads/information on the battles for Sevastopol and the Crimea during WW 2 of course. Any suggestions?

PS . . . prefer from an unbiased view of both sides but will take what I can get.
    I'd wait and get this book in September.

Where the Iron Crosses Grow: The Crimea 1941-44

Forczyk is a pretty solid writer.

Leave a comment:

• TDurden
    replied
    I'm looking for some new reads/information on the battles for Sevastopol and the Crimea during WW 2 of course. Any suggestions?

PS . . . prefer from an unbiased view of both sides but will take what I can get.

Leave a comment:

• KPL33
    replied
    Grant and Lee: A Study in Personality and Generalship by J.F.C. Fuller followed closely by Lincoln and His Generals by T. Harry Williams and Jefferson Davis and His Generals by Steven Woodworth.

Leave a comment:

• Lance Williams
    replied
    A very tough question, but I'd have to say "Fighting for the Confederacy" by Edward Porter Alexander. My vote for the best written, least biased, and most insightful memoir about any war........

Leave a comment:

• ole timer
    replied
    it is a book on Winston Churchill but the title escapes me at present

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X