No announcement yet.

Favorite History Book Of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite history book I've read to date would have to be The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks. He does an excellent job of telling how the Americans faced off against the Barbary Pirates in a story that is purely captivating. I would love to see it made into a movie, but I know Hollywood would ruin it.

Also pays homage to the first eight Marines sent on the mission where the "shores of Tripoli..." gains relevance.
    For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

-Wise Man

I would deeply appreciate helpful feedback on my website and newsletter which can be found under "Contact Info" in my Profile Page.

Comment

I really liked the pirate coast too. One of my all time favorites is Fly for Your Life it's about Robert Stanford Tuck, the battle of Britain ace. It was one of the books that really got me into history. Also Caesar's Legion the story of the 10th legion.
      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

[QUOTE=Phebe;2722626]
        I agree that I keep going back to Barbara Tuchman: Guns of August and also The Zimmerman Telegram, which shows succinctly exactly why American entered WWI: it was the 9/11 of the time.
        QUOTE]

Try the recent book: Dark Invasion: 1915: Germany's Secret War and the Hunt for the First Terrorist Cell in America, by Howard Blum.

I'm not sure if The Zimmerman Telegram did justice to the German espionage, sabotage, and assasination attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by StrategosPress View Post
          My favorite history book I've read to date would have to be The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks. He does an excellent job of telling how the Americans faced off against the Barbary Pirates in a story that is purely captivating. I would love to see it made into a movie, but I know Hollywood would ruin it.
          I dunno. Hollywood (or at least the San Fernando valley) always seems to be taking parts from Zacks' History Laid Bare: Love, Sex, and Perversity from the Ancient Etruscans to Warren G. Harding and developing these things from just about every angle.

Comment

I would have to vote for Homers Illiad...

Comment

Originally posted by mconrad View Post
              Originally posted by Phebe View Post
              I agree that I keep going back to Barbara Tuchman: Guns of August and also The Zimmerman Telegram, which shows succinctly exactly why American entered WWI: it was the 9/11 of the time.
              Try the recent book: Dark Invasion: 1915: Germany's Secret War and the Hunt for the First Terrorist Cell in America, by Howard Blum.

I'm not sure if The Zimmerman Telegram did justice to the German espionage, sabotage, and assasination attempts.
              Interesting! I may try that.

There is a new "Zimmermann Telegram," by Thomas Boghardt I want to read, with a cartoon cover:

The caption has the Pickelhaube guy saying to the little sombrero guy, "All y'got to do is beat the stuffin' out of that old guy there an' the pie is yours!"

The pie is the American Southwest, three states.

Comment

Shelby Foote's "The Civil War" Have had all three volumes for years and been unable to get started...maybe on an island?

Comment

don't bite off more than you can chew

Originally posted by LtCol View Post
                  Shelby Foote's "The Civil War" Have had all three volumes for years and been unable to get started...maybe on an island?
                  Haha, same here a bit like starting in Homer's Iliad.

What I did to break this deadlock was to read selected chapters from his book on ACW episodes that interested me.
                  E.g. after having watched 'Cold Mountain' I turned to Shelby Foote to find out more about the Battle of the Crater.
                  Smilarly I read up in Foote for background information on a Combat Decision Game set in the Battle of Mobile Bay ("Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead") here at ACG.

I invariably found Foote's narrative prose enlightening and enjoyable to read; like listening to a southern gentleman telling me war stories on his veranda over a mint julep
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

it is a book on Winston Churchill but the title escapes me at present

Comment

A very tough question, but I'd have to say "Fighting for the Confederacy" by Edward Porter Alexander. My vote for the best written, least biased, and most insightful memoir about any war........
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Grant and Lee: A Study in Personality and Generalship by J.F.C. Fuller followed closely by Lincoln and His Generals by T. Harry Williams and Jefferson Davis and His Generals by Steven Woodworth.

Comment

I'm looking for some new reads/information on the battles for Sevastopol and the Crimea during WW 2 of course. Any suggestions?

PS . . . prefer from an unbiased view of both sides but will take what I can get.
                          Elsa: [reading Jacob's palm] "See. According to this, you're already dead."[laughs]
                          Army Officer: "Mr. Singer. What an appropriate name for a man who can't shut up."
                          "Jacob's Ladder"

Comment

Originally posted by TDurden View Post
                            I'm looking for some new reads/information on the battles for Sevastopol and the Crimea during WW 2 of course. Any suggestions?

PS . . . prefer from an unbiased view of both sides but will take what I can get.
                            I'd wait and get this book in September.

Where the Iron Crosses Grow: The Crimea 1941-44

Forczyk is a pretty solid writer.

Comment

Another fantastic read I'd like to suggest to any interested in Early Modern European history:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy
                              By Peter H. Wilson

"I am the Lorax, and I'll yell and I'll shout for the fine things on earth that are on their way out!"

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"

Comment

My single most selection would have to be a book which I have held on to since the 1950's and I use it the way Sennef uses Foote's, but it is not as elegantly written, but a good quick reference: "War Through the Ages" by Lynn Montross.
                                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X