No announcement yet.

Favorite History Book Of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of Marine Corps Aviation in WW2...........by Robert Sherrod.....

Comment

It's several books. The History of The Second World War By Winston Churchill
      All five volumes .

Comment

As long as we're counting fiction, I'll have to say The Red Badge of Courage. Growing up where I did, there was Civil War history all around me, but I read this when I was about 10, and it really cemented everything.

Comment

Under the Red Sea Sun By Adm (then Cdr.) Edward Ellsburg.

Comment

Arthur Bryant's trilogy: Years of Endurance 1793-1802, Years of Victory 1802-1812, and Age of Elegance 1812-1822. There is no better Social, Military and Political study of Britain's wars with Revolutionary and Napoleonic France.

Mind You, If I had to take a second choice instead, it would be The King's Peace 1637-1641, and The King's War 1641-1647, by C.V Wedgewood. for the same reasons as above but this time on the English Civil War.

Paul
            ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
            All human ills he can subdue,
            Or with a bauble or medal
            Can win mans heart for you;
            And many a blessing know to stew
            To make a megloamaniac bright;
            Give honour to the dainty Corse,
            The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918

Comment

Eastern Approaches, by Fitzroy MacLean

Comment

Carl Sandberg wrote a huge multivolume biography of Abraham Lincoln (Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years [2 volumes] and Abraham Lincoln: The War Years [4 volumes] a total of over 7000 pages), that I read parts of early in my high school career. I bought, as I could afford them, some of the volumes in paperback. When I think about it, I think that this set of books probably did more to influence my love of history, reading about the Civil War and my admiration of Abraham Lincoln than just about any other book or books. As a plus the books were beautifully written.
                  Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jestre View Post
                    A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918
                    Excellent read!
                    "Ultimately communism is an impossible Utopian dream imposed by hypocrites who will commit mass murder to achieve absurd goals"- Trebuchet

Comment

The Face of Battle: John Keegan, or for a local (Australian) perspective

The Great War and Gallipoli: Les Carlyon
                      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the responses and bring this back to life.

Some very good books have been recommended and makes me realize exactly how much I haven't read.

Keep'em coming!
                        Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Strange Defeat by Marc Bloch, who as middle ages historian called to active duty, gave me not only the best insight to the collapse of the French Army in May 1940, but also demonstrated the powers of a historian judging contemporary events.
                          Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Darn Bob, that is one hard question to answer.

Fiction they are but Winds of War and War and Remembrance opened up some doors on subjects I had heard little about before reading. A little known book that I got as a gift was Monitor Chronicles written by a crew member telling more about the daily life on board than any big battles. Then there is "That Dark and Bloody River" Just to many to pick just one.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Darn Bob, that is one hard question to answer.

Fiction they are but Winds of War and War and Remembrance opened up some doors on subjects I had heard little about before reading. A little known book that I got as a gift was Monitor Chronicles written by a crew member telling more about the daily life on board than any big battles. Then there is "That Dark and Bloody River" Just to many to pick just one.
                              That's certainly true. An authoritative, well written novel can give insights into conflict that can be as valuable as a non-fiction work. Regarding war in the air, I can recommend Winged Victory ,Victor Yeates (WW1) and Bomber ,Len Deighton (WW2).
                              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

James M. McPherson's The Battle Cry of Freedom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X