Yom Kippur War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yom Kippur War

I just finished Six Days of War by Michael B. Oren. Good book, I enjoyed it.

Now I'm taking the next logical step to the Yom Kippur War. Right now the choice is between Eve of Destruction by Howard Blum, which I understand is more of a historical novel in the tradition of Jeff Shaara, and The Yom Kippur War by Abraham Rabinovich. Has anyone read either book, and are they any good?
    You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Originally posted by Crackshot View Post
    I just finished Six Days of War by Michael B. Oren. Good book, I enjoyed it.

Now I'm taking the next logical step to the Yom Kippur War. Right now the choice is between Eve of Destruction by Howard Blum, which I understand is more of a historical novel in the tradition of Jeff Shaara, and The Yom Kippur War by Abraham Rabinovich. Has anyone read either book, and are they any good?
    I've read the one by Rabinovich but since it's the only history of that war I've read I don't have anything else to compare it with.

It was okay as far as a military history book goes.
    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I've read a lot of Yom Kippur War books, here's my feedback:

I really like Rabinovich's book. It is a retelling of veterans accounts, mostly from the Israeli perspective, and is a great read.

I didn't like Eve of Destruction or Two O'Clock War. Thin on details.

O'Ballance's No Victor, No Vanquished is good for a book released soon after the war, but details were questionable.

For Sinai and Golan books, read Adan's On the Banks of the Suez and Hammel/Asher's Duel for the Golan respectively.

Great personal account is Kahalani's Heights of Courage.

I thought Oden's book was good. I prefer Hammel's Six Days in June as the action accounts are very exciting.

Oh, and I forgot, there's also Dupuy's single volume Elusive Victory, which has all Arab-Israeli conflicts from 1948 to Yom Kippur War. It's aged, but still very good.

My choice: Rabinovich because it draws on new information. Arab-Israeli conflicts are notorious for lack of information released to the public by the governments.
      Last edited by Dunnigan; 09 Feb 13, 23:38.

Comment

Another for Rabinovich. Especially the stories of Avigdor Kahalani in the Golan Heights (Valley of Tears) and Zvika Greengold at the Tapline Road. If either of these men had acted differently today's Middle East might be completely different.

You might try contacting Eric Weider, IIRC Kahalani is a personal friend.
        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X