No announcement yet.

Age of Fighting Sail Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now have the Henderson book which is really the combined reprinting of two separate books. It gives great insight into the differences between life on the smaller ships and that experienced on a ship-of-the-line with lots of eyewitness accounts. It's detailed accounts of smaller craft and their monotony/excitement makes it a good companion for Mostert's fine overview. Lots of good maps and diagrams.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
      I now have the Henderson book which is really the combined reprinting of two separate books. It gives great insight into the differences between life on the smaller ships and that experienced on a ship-of-the-line with lots of eyewitness accounts. It's detailed accounts of smaller craft and their monotony/excitement makes it a good companion for Mostert's fine overview. Lots of good maps and diagrams.
      After finishing these books I would recommend them even more as great background companions for anyone who wants the facts behind the historical naval fiction set in the French Revolution/Napoleonic War period. In particular, the Henderson book(s) cover just about every "unique/spectacular" smaller ship story line covered in the Aubrey/Hornblower/Bolitho/Kydd series, while Monstert clearly explains how the conflicts at sea affected the corresponding campaigns/battles on land. They are excellent individually, but read in tandem they really fill almost all of the niches an avid reader of the period could want, easily some of the best money I have spent in a long time on a history book(s).
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X