Age of Fighting Sail Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Fighting Sail Fiction

In the last year I have read all of the major fictional series that occur in the 1770-1820 period of the age of sail. I have enjoyed all of them with their slightly different takes on the period. They include:

The Hornblower Series by C.F. Forester
    The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian
    The Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent
    The Lewrie Series by Dewey Lambdin
    The Ramage Series by Dudley Pope

and I'm still trying to find the Matty Groves series by Broos Campbell

If I had to nitpick I guess that Lambdin's Alan Lewrie would be my favorite, but not by much. Are there any other series from this period that anyone might recommend and what are your personal favorites.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

One more ...

... the George Abercrombie Fox series by Adam Hardy. Think Richard Sharpe of the sea, the series dates back to the early 70's.

If you want a real change of pace, check out the "Bandy Papers" series by Donald Jack. Three volumes in the series won the Stephen Leacock Memorial Medal for Humour. The series recounts the life of Bart Bandy, a WWI flying ace, who's a combo of Billy Bishop, and Forrest Gump.

It's Canadian humour, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.sybertooth.com/bandy/
    Last edited by Marmat; 15 Apr 18, 13:17.
    "I am Groot"
    - Groot

Comment

SecNav reports for 1812-1814.
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
        SecNav reports for 1812-1814.
        Do they qualify as fiction? I suppose if the SecNav was a bit tricky with the figures...
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
          In the last year I have read all of the major fictional series that occur in the 1770-1820 period of the age of sail. I have enjoyed all of them with their slightly different takes on the period. They include:

The Hornblower Series by C.F. Forester
          The Aubrey/Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brian
          The Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent
          The Lewrie Series by Dewey Lambdin
          The Ramage Series by Dudley Pope

and I'm still trying to find the Matty Groves series by Broos Campbell

If I had to nitpick I guess that Lambdin's Alan Lewrie would be my favorite, but not by much. Are there any other series from this period that anyone might recommend and what are your personal favorites.
          I would like to suggest the "Privateers and Gentlemen" series by Jon Williams. Very well written!
          "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

My own favourite would be the Kydd series by Julian Stockwin, an excellent set of tales following a pressed man rising through the ranks of the Royal Navy.

Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

have you read a biography of Thomas Cochrane?

If not you must since it reads like a work of fiction--- but is true and you may well recognise incidents in his life that have been taken up by writers of fiction.
              Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                Do they qualify as fiction? I suppose if the SecNav was a bit tricky with the figures...
                Sorry, history nerd joke. When I was reading them I tended to notice a slight disconnect from reality as reported by the folks on the ships. Not much, but enough to make me wonder.

You can see them here: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...@lit(sp0252)):
                Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
                Hyperwar, Whats New
                World War II Resources
                The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
                  My own favourite would be the Kydd series by Julian Stockwin, an excellent set of tales following a pressed man rising through the ranks of the Royal Navy.

Kydd was my very close second favorite.
                  Lance W.

Comment

I would have a tough time choosing between Hornblower and Bolitho, myself.

Just FYI, Alexander Kent is the alternate ID of Douglas Reeman, who wrote memorable WWI and WWII books about sea warfare as seen from the "little boats, and a great series about the Royal Marines over a century or more following one family.
                    Reeman wrote one book a year, as Reeman one year and Kent the next.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Not fiction, however

The Flesh and Blood Behind Horatio Hornblower

http://www.historynet.com/mhq-review...hornblower.htm
                      Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                        The Flesh and Blood Behind Horatio Hornblower

http://www.historynet.com/mhq-review...hornblower.htm
                        How is it? I'm on a waiting list for it at the library.
                        Lance W.

Comment

Haven't read it yet but I saw the review recently in MHQ and after seeing this thread it sounded like something you might like.
                          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
                            Haven't read it yet but I saw the review recently in MHQ and after seeing this thread it sounded like something you might like.
                            Gary,

Well I just got my reserve notice from the local library to pick up Taylor's book about Pellew. I'll let you know what I think about it. I'm very curious to see how accurate these fictional series really are.
                            Lance W.

Comment

James L. Nelson wrote at-least 5 book set, Revolution at Sea about the Revolution and Captain Isaac Biddlecomb. The first title is By Force of Arms.

He also has written a trilogy, The Brethern of the Coast that takes place in southern waters 1701-1705 during pirate days.

And he has also written some non-fiction, including one titled George Washington's secret navy , and some Civil War fiction and non-fiction involving sailing.
                              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X