Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please give me your thoughts on the future of Hyperwar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please give me your thoughts on the future of Hyperwar.

We will be restarting work on adding books and other materials to Hyperwar in the next few months. Patrick's emphasis was always to have the material in HTML format. PDFs were only temporary and were to be replaced by HTML at the earliest opportunity. And, to be honest, he was a bit of a Luddite.

Today, with the increasing popularity of Kindles, Nooks, etc., and the increased availability of broadband connections the issue of file size is less and less important. When Patrick and I started this project we were using 9600 baud modems. Now I can download in one minute what it took all day to get back then, with the phone tied up in the process.

But, ultimately, it's you people, the folks who use Hyperwar, that matter, so I'm asking you, which do you prefer, HTML, PDF, or would you like us to do both?

Your thoughts, please.
    Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
    Hyperwar, Whats New
    World War II Resources
    The best place in the world to "work".

I always opt for PDF where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
      I always opt for PDF where possible.
      Me too, but we have one more complication I forgot in the OP. The fleet doesn't have a lot of spare bandwidth, so PDF aren't optimal for them. And, of course, places with less available bandwidth shouldn't be left out.
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources

Comment

Did you post link to this thread in the WWII section? That may garner more feedback.
        Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Sure, that's fine. Thanks.
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources

Comment

Hi

To be honest my friend as long as the material is available, the format is less of a worry to me to be honest.

I will be just pleased to see new stuff appearing again

Best of luck and kindest regards
            "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
              Hi

To be honest my friend as long as the material is available, the format is less of a worry to me to be honest.

I will be just pleased to see new stuff appearing again

Best of luck and kindest regards
              This is the first step in the restart. I've been going over certain things with the some folks in DC and now that's locked down and good to go. Next month I'll be calling on all the volunteers to get their input and find out where they're at with their individual projects.

I feel like a freaking manager. How did that happen?
              Hyperwar, Whats New
              World War II Resources

Comment

Hyperwar is a great resource, especially for a forum such as this one.
                Personally, I prefer PDFs, but if HTML is easier and uses less space, I'm good with that.
                Scientists have announced they've discovered a cure for apathy. However no one has shown the slightest bit of interest !!

Comment

I have found Hyperwar to be an excellent source of documentation.

To echo Andy H anything at all is better than nothing, but for me HTML is optimal.

My thanks to those that provide it for us.
                  "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                  "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                  Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Everything we do in the future will have a PDF option, that is certain. What I need to look into is making the files Kindle and Nook friendly as well.
                    Hyperwar, Whats New
                    World War II Resources

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X