The Man Who Saved The Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Man Who Saved The Union

Just picked up this book. Can't wait to get started, should be an excellent read
    Too Much To Do Too Little Time

I just received this book as a Christmas present, started reading it last night, so far so good.

I have never read any of Brands books but I like his writing. If I like the book the whole way through I already "wish-listed,"a couple of his other books I would like to read.

Comment

Grant surly played a big part in saving the Union, for which I'm grateful, however if one person should be singled out it would have to be Lincoln.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Lincoln is the one man in the right place at the right time in order to save the Union.

However, others, such as Grant (along with Halleck who promoted and protected Grant) had a large hand in it. No Grant, no Vicksburg which was more important strategically than Gettysburg was. Further, the western theater was being won by the Halleck-Grant team (and later the Grant-Sherman team after Halleck was booted up to Washington) when the war in the east was bloodily indecisive until Gettysburg and then Grant was moved east.

The Lincoln-Grant partnership (which is subtely brought out in the new movie 'Lincold' by the way) was the decisive partnership of the war.

The question I have about the book, though, is it as good as Catton's study fifty years ago?

Sincerely,
        M
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Looks like a good one.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X