• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jefferson Lies

"The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths You've Always Believed
    About Thomas Jefferson"
    by David Barton
    has been pulled from the shelves for accusations of errors within.

I'm a huge Jefferson buff and am reading this one to see what
    is what. I probably would have purchased this book even before
    all the excitement. I have a copy and reading it now. If you get
    a copy, I'd like to read your thoughts.

The title caught my eye and, not being familiar with the name David Barton, I Googled it. According to Wikipedia:

"David Barton (born 1954) is an American evangelical Christian minister, conservative activist, and best-selling author. He founded WallBuilders, a Texas-based organization which advocates the view that U.S. constitutional separation of church and state was not supported by the founding fathers. Barton is the former co-chair of the Republican Party of Texas.

"Barton collects early American documents, and his official biography describes him as 'an expert in historical and constitutional issues'. Barton holds no formal credentials in history or law, and scholars dispute the accuracy and integrity of his assertions about history, accusing him of practicing misleading historical revisionism, 'pseudoscholarship' and 'outright falsehoods'. According to the New York Times, 'many professional historians dismiss Mr. Barton, whose academic degree is in Christian Education from Oral Roberts University, as a biased amateur who cherry-picks quotes from history and the Bible'...."

While I do not look upon Wikipedia as the ultimate source of truth and knowledge, I respectfully suggest that you read this work with the above in mind. Too many people these days seem to like to rewrite history to suit their own views. Since you are a huge Jefferson buff yourself, you may find that you know more about Jefferson than Mr. Barton does.
    "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
    X