First Infantry Division reads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Infantry Division reads?

Can anyone recommend any good memoirs by members of the U.S. Army's First Infantry Division - a.k.a. the "Big Red One"? I am practically obsessed with the unit (probably stems from my love of the movie and novelization of the same name), and I'd love some good reads. The closest I've read so far is Sam Fuller's autobiography. I'm good for any war, but especially World War II or Desert Storm.
    "The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the ******* who invented it."

If you don't mind reading about OIF, then I'd recommend David Bellavia's House to House, about his time with the 1st Infantry Division during the Second Battle of Fallujah. Bellavia was nominated for both the Medal of Honor and Distinguished Service Cross for his actions (he eventually was decorated with the Silver Star) and his description of the brutal urban warfare is graphic, profane and excellent. Definitely worth a read.
    You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk

Comment

New BRO memoir

I just completed the publishing of my own book about the Big Red One, as a platoon leader. It is a memoir of the Vietnam War.

The title is "Boots: An Unvarnished Memoir of Vietnam" by Stephen L. Park. It is available as an ebook or print from the following: Writers Amuse Me, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Google ebooks, and other suppliers.

It is my time as a platoon leader in 1968 in the 1/18th Bn., and later as duty with 2nd Bde. Hqs.
      www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X