World War I - The why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War I - The why?

If you are looking for an excellent review of what Europe was like in the years leading up to WWI this is probably one of the best authors to help explain it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846

Two volumns now one and in hardcover at a greatly discounted price.

Cheers.
    The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Thanks for the tip. I will add it to the list.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

For a German point of view, I very much enjoyed 'The German Wars' by Michael Palmer. Sorry I could not post the Amazon link - not allowed to yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist View Post
        If you are looking for an excellent review of what Europe was like in the years leading up to WWI this is probably one of the best authors to help explain it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...pf_rd_i=507846

Two volumns now one and in hardcover at a greatly discounted price.

Cheers.
        I find Tuchman to be extremely biased in her writing, pretty much just regurgitating the "official" British version the war and its causes. However she is a great writer....

Comment

I have just recommended Niall Ferguson's The Pity of War on another thread, or there is Dreadnought by Robert K Massie, subtitled Britain,Germany and the coming of the Great War,: very readable.
          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X