Book on the War of 1812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book on the War of 1812

I posted this question in the Age of Formation and Expansion and got no answer,I was wondering if anyone knew the title of this book. I had it about 11-12 years ago,I think it may have been called 1812. I don't remember,I was 'imbibing' too much then. I lost it before I could finish it.
    It had lots on James and Dolley Madison,and about the Battle of New Orleans. It even mentioned about the skirmishes around the north border near Canada also. It goes into detail how the British vandalized and stole things from the White House. I'd like to read this again,IF I knew the title.
    Thanks.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/War-1812-FORGO...332479&sr=1-10

You can try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_War_of_1812

On a side note, I read this book about the war and found it very good. It is written from the British point of view.

http://www.amazon.com/1812-War-Ameri.../dp/0674025849

Hope this helps buddy!
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by rebpreacher View Post
      I posted this question in the Age of Formation and Expansion and got no answer,I was wondering if anyone knew the title of this book. I had it about 11-12 years ago,I think it may have been called 1812. I don't remember,I was 'imbibing' too much then. I lost it before I could finish it.
      It had lots on James and Dolley Madison,and about the Battle of New Orleans. It even mentioned about the skirmishes around the north border near Canada also. It goes into detail how the British vandalized and stole things from the White House. I'd like to read this again,IF I knew the title.
      Thanks.
      I think the title might be 1812 but I'm not sure.

Comment

There are a few on the War of 1812 here.
        Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
        Hyperwar, Whats New
        World War II Resources
        The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

For stuff on the campaign in Canada I highly recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Capital-Flames.../dp/1896941532

It's primarily about York but there's quite a bit of context, and does a great job of showing both perspectives and what was going on in the minds of the leadership on either side.

A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

I would highly recommend Donald Graves' work.

Where Right and Glory Read
            Field of Glory
            and Chippawa.
            Last edited by semperpietas; 04 Feb 12, 16:36.
            "Hit hard when you start, but don't start until you have everything ready." - Lt. Gen. James Longstreet

Pyrrhus Travels West:
            Hanno the Infamous, General of Carthage, Rb Mhnt of Sicily

Comment

I appreciate all your help,but none rings a bell. Maybe I'll find it. I believe it was called 1812 possibly.

Comment

Hey Reb. Whenever I'm trying to find a book that might be out of print, old, or I just plain can't remember the title exactly, the first place I search is WorldCat. Check it out, it's as close to an all-encompassing catalog as I have found yet.

I found a number of books titled 1812. Do you remember if it was fiction perhaps? I'll list what I've found.

• 1812 by David Nevin
                • 1812 by Antony Brett-James
                • 1812 by John Pelling & Trevor Ridley
                • 1812 by Walter R. Borneman
                • 1812 by Michael J. Crawford & William S. Dudley

After those, there are a couple of thousand books with variations upon variations of the title 1812. If none of these ring a bell, you can use the fantastic search function, you're bound to find something. And as an added bonus, and why I love the site, you can enter you zip code and it'll locate the copy nearest you.
                ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

After perusing the David Nevin one,I do believe that is it. Thank you so much. I have it ordered from Amazon now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X