• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBark
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Are Marines now Sailors.
    Only the officers that went to the Naval Academy.

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    That's how I would imagine the life of a sniper. So I'm finding it hard to visualize how he got "160 confirmed sniper kills" (and "255 claimed kills"). Guess I'll have to read the book.

Philip
    He got his kills mainly from two important offensive operations in Iraq - Fallujah and Ramadi. He also fought in the offensive operation against Sadr City. And as he said again and again in his book, he got extremely lucky in getting plenty of opportunities to kill a lot of insurgents.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    1) Marines have their own service;

2) not all Marines spend time at sea.

As far as I'm concerned, if you wear bell-bottoms and silly hats, you're a sailor.
    Nor do all members of the Navy. Just like most members of the AF never fly except in a seat of a commercial airline.

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Kyle was a member of the Navy. That doesn't automatically make him a sailor.
    Kind of like how being in the army doesn't automatically make you a soldier? How being in the Marine Corps doesn't automatically make you a marine? How being in the Air Force doesn't automatically make you an Airman?

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Are Marines now Sailors.
    1) Marines have their own service;

2) not all Marines spend time at sea.

As far as I'm concerned, if you wear bell-bottoms and silly hats, you're a sailor.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    No, but as a SEAL, it would be safe to assume that he spent a fair amount of time at sea, or at least training for sea duty. Would that be enough to qualify him as a sailor?
    Are Marines now Sailors.

Leave a comment:

• Captain General
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
    That's how I would imagine the life of a sniper. So I'm finding it hard to visualize how he got "160 confirmed sniper kills" (and "255 claimed kills"). Guess I'll have to read the book.

Philip
    I haven't read the book but what little I know of the man and his "persona", I have my doubts...

Leave a comment:

• PhilipLaos
    replied
    Originally posted by llkinak View Post
    Chapter 2: Settin'...Waitin'. Man, it's hot today. Damn bugs.

Chapter 3: See chapter 2.

Chapter 4: Ate lunch. It wasn't very good but it sure was small.

Chapter 5: See chapter 2.

Philip

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    No, but as a SEAL, it would be safe to assume that he spent a fair amount of time at sea, or at least training for sea duty. Would that be enough to qualify him as a sailor?

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied

A sailor, seaman, mariner, or seafarer is a person who navigates water-borne vessels or assists as a crew member in their operation and maintenance.

Leave a comment:

• Andy H
    replied
    An Iraqi war veteran has been charged with murdering ex-US Navy Seal sniper Chris Kyle and his neighbour in Texas.

Eddie Ray Routh, 25, is accused of the shootings at a gun range on Saturday.

Mr Kyle and his neighbour Chad Littlefield were reported to have been trying to help Mr Routh deal with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Mr Kyle, 38, wrote the 2012 bestseller American Sniper, about the psychology of a sniper, in which he said that he had killed more than 250 people.

He served four tours of duty in Iraq and was decorated for bravery.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21320750

Leave a comment:

• Naffenea
    replied
    Originally posted by JBark View Post
    I'll go one better-how might the thread have evolved if you didn't side track it with your moronic obsession with the proper use of the word "soldier" and your attempts to get me to argue a point I never made. When you finally get around to buying a dictionary look up the word responsibility and then try accepting it. A high school kid could intelligently discuss with me whether an experienced combat soldier might have difficulty after leaving the service but from you I get challenges to prove an argument I never made. Well done. The only decent attempt at a contribution to this subject you've made was mentioning a T.V. (what a surprise) show you saw on Kyle...but of course you shared nothing about that. Well done again.
    I'd love to discuss the book. I've tried. But it's not my moronic obsessions that's blocking conversation.

As for why the book is a bestseller, it seems obvious. It's written by a SEAL, the public loves them and the fanbois lap it up and create more fantasies for themselves. It doesn't have to be well written or even factual. All you have to do is be Special Operations (or claim to be), write a book that on your experiences (or sounds good) and people will snatch them up.

Leave a comment:

• JBark
    replied
    It seems they're trying to sell books and in that process they are courting a particular demographic...in this case those that haven't been or don't know any better. It reminds me a bit of the limited ammount of Marchenco's stuff I've seen, though I must admit I've not read much of him at all and have not seen any of Kyle's book.
    (llkinak)

Could be...I didn't think of that.

One must derive from one's work what joys one can in order to sustain oneself in one's vocation.
    True but, personally speaking, if I found myself feeling that way about war and killing I would; a.) not tell anyone, b.) see a shrink.

From what little of gleaned about this book on this thread, it seems that only the most sensational tidbits have been discussed, and I have to wonder if the author, or his editor, or his publisher, haven't deliberately chosen those items for final publication. After all, military sniping consists of countless hours of utter stillness spent just watching, scanning, glassing, observing. That kind of thing doesn't make for commercially successful literature.
    I thought I would discuss the book a bit more once I had finished it and gotten this far in the thread...there is more to the book. He briefly discusses training, goes in to weaponry a bit ( I never realized they were using guns like the .338 Win Mag in the military.) He tells tales of his romance to his wife, becoming a father twice, many bar fights/arrests etc. His sniping did not seem to have the many hours of emptiness you might expect as he was in a pretty target rich environment and the insurgents were at times just plain stupid. The SEALS were attached to Army and Marine units going in to bad towns like Fallujah (sp?) where there simply was no shortage of hostiles.

I understand this book is on the NY Times bestseller list but I don't see the attraction to mainstream readers. Hemingway, drunk and having suffered a stroke, writes better than this so I would have to believe those buying the books and praising it are looking for a story of dead insurgents...an understanding of why so many of our boys didn't come home?

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by llkinak View Post

Why am I feeling "déjà vu all over again"?

Leave a comment:

• llkinak
    replied
    From what little of gleaned about this book on this thread, it seems that only the most sensational tidbits have been discussed, and I have to wonder if the author, or his editor, or his publisher, haven't deliberately chosen those items for final publication. After all, military sniping consists of countless hours of utter stillness spent just watching, scanning, glassing, observing. That kind of thing doesn't make for commercially successful literature.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X