No announcement yet.

American Sniper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's fine. It takes a special person who can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
      More personal attacks? Well, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise. As for the allegation of slinking away, I'm sure you have heard of throwing pearls before swine (though I'm not calling you a swine). You have shown time and again an inability to comprehend what was put before you. So why bother.
      You keep saying it has been pointed out to me but I do not see where. You have offered NO proof of what you say other than to say you are a soldier therefore you know the use of the word. Dictionaries and the soldier I started this thread about disagree with you. Here's two suggestions; either present again the proof you say has been presented and please make sure it has the substance necessary to contradict Oxford dictionary or simply stop coming back and posting here about this. Then we can move on to discussing what this thread was intended to discuss...or are you content to simply keep coming back and distracting from discussion of Kyle's book?
      John

Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

Comment

That's fine. It takes a special person who can do it.
        How would you know?
        John

Comment

You keep saying it has been pointed out to me but I do not see where. You have offered NO proof of what you say other than to say you are a soldier therefore you know the use of the word. Dictionaries and the soldier I started this thread about disagree with you. Here's two suggestions; either present again the proof you say has been presented and please make sure it has the substance necessary to contradict Oxford dictionary or simply stop coming back and posting here about this. Then we can move on to discussing what this thread was intended to discuss...or are you content to simply keep coming back and distracting from discussion of Kyle's book?
          Page 1 and Page 2 of this thread have all the proof you need if you could only read and understand English.

I have been discussing this book. You keep trying to argue with the Oxford dictionary, not me. You keep trying to argue with someone that has "been there, done that", not me. Do you habitually argue with people that have first hand knowledge?

He's still a Sailor, despite the many times you keep trying to say otherwise.

How would you know?
          If you haven't deduced that already on your own after reading your own military history collection, reading this site and other places, you will never know. We both already know you won't believe me.
          Last edited by Naffenea; 30 Jan 12, 22:05.

Comment

Page 1 and Page 2 of this thread have all the proof you need if you could only read and understand English.

I have been discussing this book. You keep trying to argue with the Oxford dictionary, not me. You keep trying to argue with someone that has "been there, done that", not me. Do you habitually argue with people that have first hand knowledge?

He's still a Sailor, despite the many times you keep trying to say otherwise.

If you haven't deduced that already on your own after reading your own military history collection, reading this site and other places, you will never know. We both already know you won't believe me.
            You are one of the typical children of the forums. You just want to start a fight. You misrepresent what I write and try to get me to argue a point I never tried to make (that Kyle would come home and kill people.) You pretend to make some silly arguement that you know how words should be used because you are a soldier. Pages one and two show mothing except you saying you know proper word usage, contrary to what the Oxford dictionary says, contrary to what Kyle says and contrary to what BBC says. If you served in the U.S. military I am hoping carrying a gun was not part of your normal duties. I'm guessing that with the intelligence you have shown here they let you clean garbage cans in the kitchen or fill the tires on the trucks. Why don't you go away and play your childish forums games somewhere else...but you won't because the game you play is to keep coming back and saying the same old garbage over and over again, never contributing to the thread.
            John

Comment

How can the thread evolve when you obviously keep insisting on something that isn't (SEAL's aren't soldiers, they're sailors) and making a claim for something and then not backing it up (he loved killing and now he's going to come home and try to duplicate that feeling)? The only attempt at evolution are your continued attempts at passive aggressive insults.

Comment

How can the thread evolve when you obviously keep insisting on something that isn't (SEAL's aren't soldiers, they're sailors) and making a claim for something and then not backing it up (he loved killing and now he's going to come home and try to duplicate that feeling)? The only attempt at evolution are your continued attempts at passive aggressive insults.
                I'll go one better-how might the thread have evolved if you didn't side track it with your moronic obsession with the proper use of the word "soldier" and your attempts to get me to argue a point I never made. When you finally get around to buying a dictionary look up the word responsibility and then try accepting it. A high school kid could intelligently discuss with me whether an experienced combat soldier might have difficulty after leaving the service but from you I get challenges to prove an argument I never made. Well done. The only decent attempt at a contribution to this subject you've made was mentioning a T.V. (what a surprise) show you saw on Kyle...but of course you shared nothing about that. Well done again.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by JBark View Post
                  My major objection is that Kyle on more than one occasion describes what he was doing in Iraq as fun. I find it pretty upsetting to read that anyone, SEAL or otherwise, would describe the job of killing in war to be fun. He should take pride in the fact that he is a good soldier, a well trained soldier, a patriot...but I terribly dislike the notion of killing as fun. I think he has some growing up to do.
                  It seems they're trying to sell books and in that process they are courting a particular demographic...in this case those that haven't been or don't know any better. It reminds me a bit of the limited ammount of Marchenco's stuff I've seen, though I must admit I've not read much of him at all and have not seen any of Kyle's book.

Comment

I don't see it as "what it takes." I'm hoping most of our guys don't see it as "having fun" and "loving" killing the enemy. War is a sh*tty deal but loving the killing just doesn't sit well with me.
                    One must derive from one's work what joys one can in order to sustain oneself in one's vocation.

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                    It seems they're trying to sell books and in that process they are courting a particular demographic...in this case those that haven't been or don't know any better. It reminds me a bit of the limited ammount of Marchenco's stuff I've seen, though I must admit I've not read much of him at all and have not seen any of Kyle's book.
                    From what little of gleaned about this book on this thread, it seems that only the most sensational tidbits have been discussed, and I have to wonder if the author, or his editor, or his publisher, haven't deliberately chosen those items for final publication. After all, military sniping consists of countless hours of utter stillness spent just watching, scanning, glassing, observing. That kind of thing doesn't make for commercially successful literature.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                      From what little of gleaned about this book on this thread, it seems that only the most sensational tidbits have been discussed, and I have to wonder if the author, or his editor, or his publisher, haven't deliberately chosen those items for final publication. After all, military sniping consists of countless hours of utter stillness spent just watching, scanning, glassing, observing. That kind of thing doesn't make for commercially successful literature.
                      Chapter 2: Settin'...Waitin'. Man, it's hot today. Damn bugs.

Chapter 3: See chapter 2.

Chapter 4: Ate lunch. It wasn't very good but it sure was small.

Chapter 5: See chapter 2.

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                        Chapter 2: Settin'...Waitin'. Man, it's hot today. Damn bugs.

Chapter 3: See chapter 2.

Chapter 4: Ate lunch. It wasn't very good but it sure was small.

Chapter 5: See chapter 2.
                        Why am I feeling "déjà vu all over again"?
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

(llkinak)

Could be...I didn't think of that.

One must derive from one's work what joys one can in order to sustain oneself in one's vocation.
                          True but, personally speaking, if I found myself feeling that way about war and killing I would; a.) not tell anyone, b.) see a shrink.

I thought I would discuss the book a bit more once I had finished it and gotten this far in the thread...there is more to the book. He briefly discusses training, goes in to weaponry a bit ( I never realized they were using guns like the .338 Win Mag in the military.) He tells tales of his romance to his wife, becoming a father twice, many bar fights/arrests etc. His sniping did not seem to have the many hours of emptiness you might expect as he was in a pretty target rich environment and the insurgents were at times just plain stupid. The SEALS were attached to Army and Marine units going in to bad towns like Fallujah (sp?) where there simply was no shortage of hostiles.

I understand this book is on the NY Times bestseller list but I don't see the attraction to mainstream readers. Hemingway, drunk and having suffered a stroke, writes better than this so I would have to believe those buying the books and praising it are looking for a story of dead insurgents...an understanding of why so many of our boys didn't come home?
                          John

Comment

I'll go one better-how might the thread have evolved if you didn't side track it with your moronic obsession with the proper use of the word "soldier" and your attempts to get me to argue a point I never made. When you finally get around to buying a dictionary look up the word responsibility and then try accepting it. A high school kid could intelligently discuss with me whether an experienced combat soldier might have difficulty after leaving the service but from you I get challenges to prove an argument I never made. Well done. The only decent attempt at a contribution to this subject you've made was mentioning a T.V. (what a surprise) show you saw on Kyle...but of course you shared nothing about that. Well done again.
                            I'd love to discuss the book. I've tried. But it's not my moronic obsessions that's blocking conversation.

As for why the book is a bestseller, it seems obvious. It's written by a SEAL, the public loves them and the fanbois lap it up and create more fantasies for themselves. It doesn't have to be well written or even factual. All you have to do is be Special Operations (or claim to be), write a book that on your experiences (or sounds good) and people will snatch them up.

Comment

An Iraqi war veteran has been charged with murdering ex-US Navy Seal sniper Chris Kyle and his neighbour in Texas.

Eddie Ray Routh, 25, is accused of the shootings at a gun range on Saturday.

Mr Kyle and his neighbour Chad Littlefield were reported to have been trying to help Mr Routh deal with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Mr Kyle, 38, wrote the 2012 bestseller American Sniper, about the psychology of a sniper, in which he said that he had killed more than 250 people.

He served four tours of duty in Iraq and was decorated for bravery.
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21320750

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Kyle was a member of the Navy. That doesn't automatically make him a sailor.

A sailor, seaman, mariner, or seafarer is a person who navigates water-borne vessels or assists as a crew member in their operation and maintenance.
                                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X