Tom Clancy's new book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Clancy's new book

Anyone got the skinny on Clancy's new title? I think it's called Mock Dawn. Perhaps a cast of characters that we may be familiar with? Talk it up children...

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

José,

I've read three of Clancy's novels, and been disappointed with two. In my most humble opinion, the only good novel he's ever written was his first The Hunt for Red October. Probably the one on which he spent the most time researching and writing.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Dan.
    So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Red Storm Rising was also good, but as his career went on, his novels slipped until he mow, when they are all ghost-written by others.

Interestingly, his first two books - arguably his best - were based on work done by Larry Bond, a DoD wargamer scenario programmer who ran both of these and who created the entire Red storm scenario himself.

That's Larry Bond of Harpoon fame.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Interestingly, his first two books - arguably his best - were based on work done by Larry Bond
        That's odd because I distinctly remember Clancy doing interviews after his first novel came out, saying that he had researched all of the information in the book himself from open-source journals and such. He, Clancy, sold insurance but was interested in naval affairs and would read about the technical aspects of modern navies in his spare time.

I would hate, after all these years, to think that this Horatio Alger story was just so much hot air.

Cheers,
        Dan.
        So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan M View Post
          That's odd because I distinctly remember Clancy doing interviews after his first novel came out, saying that he had researched all of the information in the book himself from open-source journals and such. He, Clancy, sold insurance but was interested in naval affairs and would read about the technical aspects of modern navies in his spare time.

I would hate, after all these years, to think that this Horatio Alger story was just so much hot air.

Cheers,
          Dan.
          Clancy probably did do the research. Bond's material would likely be part of that.

Btw,Bond is a pretty good writer himself.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Dan M, he sold insurance. Do you really think you can believe what he said.

I've read most of his first books and enjoyed them. Once he started into his "Rainbow" series I lost interest in his work. "Debt of Honor" being my favorite and afaik the only one not made into a movie. Jack Ryan, played by Harrison Ford, were all good flicks imo. We get most of those films a couple times a year on German TV.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

In response to your question, Dan, I enjoyed most of Clancy's self-penned novels with the exception of Red Rabbit (too slow). The other scenarios with Jack Ryan and Mr Clark were, I thought, very well done. Red Storm Rising was my first encounter with Clancy and remains my favorite of all his work. I've enjoyed some of his "apostrophe" novels, the ones written by others and sanctioned by Clancy, particularly the "Op Center" series and a few of the "Splinter Cell" titles as well.
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Are the his books any better than his games?

Saying that I enjoyed Hawk, but was very disappointed with the second one.

Comment

His books are much better than the games. Though I did really enjoy the first Ghost Recon.

I think he went downhill after Cardinal of the Kremlin, though he did have a brief resurgence with Without Remorse and a slightly lesser blip with The Bear and the Dragon. Of his earlier works I still can't buy in to Clear and Present Danger. Sum of All Fears sometimes works for me, sometimes doesn't.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X