Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than the film.....

Dear All,

Many moons ago when I was a snivelling, silver sleeved brat, the idea that a film or TV series could ever be bettered by the book upon which it was based was one to which I would never have been able to subscribe to (even if I could have thought in such terms, which I couldn't as I was no prodigy - as my friends will readily confirm!) but over time I began to appreciate that books could and ofter are better than their screen versions.

I think the first time I appreciated this was when I read 'The Eagle Has Landed' by Jack Higgins. I had seen the film and liked it but the book was/is so much better (sadly, this is the only book of Higgins' that I would recommend anyone buying, the rest being formulaic crap).

Would anybody else care to name a book that knocked its screen adaptation into a cocked hat (and possibly why you think that?) I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Can't remember the last time that I prefered a movie to the original story in a book. The movie provides one or two hours of entertainment often loosely based on the storyline in the book. The book, on the other hand, gives the reader an insight into the thoughts and the motives of the characters that is impossible with the movie.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Jurassic Park...movie was fantastic, but the book was better.

-Matt
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
        Jurassic Park...movie was fantastic, but the book was better.

-Matt
        I'd agree with this. Not that it takes anything away from the movie, which was groundbreaking and excellently done in it's own right.
        Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Dune. The book has been adapted twice and both times does not come close.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

As to this last film, Kirk Douglas was cast to play Colonel Trautman but backed out because he thought the script should more closely track the film. He would have been so much better than Richard Crenna.

My favorite Morrell novel, The Brotherhood of the Rose, is supposedly going to be made into a movie starring Channing Tatum. If that comes to pass, said project will surely make this list.

Comment

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Those who read the book had a much better understanding of what was happening than those who just watched the film. Much of the detail and explanations in the book was left out in the film.

Philip
              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

Enemy at the Gates by William Craig
                The book was non-fiction. yet somehow it became a fictitious movie...
                Also...in the book no one had British accents.

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post
                  Can't remember the last time that I prefered a movie to the original story in a book. The movie provides one or two hours of entertainment often loosely based on the storyline in the book. The book, on the other hand, gives the reader an insight into the thoughts and the motives of the characters that is impossible with the movie.
                  True enough. The great writer Douglas William Jerrold once wrote, ' A blessed companion is a book, a book that fitly chosen is a life-long friend.' Wise words indeed.

Other books that I think better any screen rivals are: Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K Jerome, Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (upon which Apocalypse Now was sort of based), and (don't laugh), The Wind In The Willows by Kenneth Grahame, not forgetting of course A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan.
                  Last edited by Dogsbody67; 24 Oct 11, 11:48.
                  HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

You nailed it with ABTF. The problem with movies is it is the director's eyes (and PoV) and we are forced to join the director on his/her take of the book. When we read a book, we all see the images in our heads differently - even when described in detail by the author. We put our own spin on the scene and it becomes linked to us/our memories. Book every time!
                    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Put me in the director's chair and let me direct Pearl Harbor...I'd blow Michael Bay's film out of the water.

-Matt
                      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

I think a lot of Stephen King's is better in book form
                        Spurrier got chomped in the swamp. Oh Hell Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jones View Post
                          Put me in the director's chair and let me direct Pearl Harbor...I'd blow Michael Bay's film out of the water.

-Matt
                          You couldn't do much worse anyway - but then again the bar has been set pretty low.
                          HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

Comment

Jean Larteguy's The Centurions was a classic which I have read five time and never tire of. The Movie version, entitled The Lost Command was a crude cartoon of Larteguy's story.
                            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mŕi một lưỡi gươm, Những loŕi giá áo túi cơm sá gě!

Comment

Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                              2001: A Space Odyssey.

Those who read the book had a much better understanding of what was happening than those who just watched the film. Much of the detail and explanations in the book was left out in the film.

Philip
                              Yes, most definitely. I enjoyed the movie but reading the book was like having a translator.
                              "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                              George Mason
                              Co-author of the Second Amendment
                              during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X