X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
    I agree with the lessons learned you listed but I'd add another level.
    Because of the exited helicopters you had much less infantry mobility than you should have. To counter that, you needed to disperse all of your dismounts and soft skinned units over wider areas. That is critical in keeping losses to enemy artillery to a manageable level.

The ATGMs in particular need to be dispersed as widely as possible so that concentrated artillery fire does not first suppress and then destroy them. The large numbers of SP mortars and howitzers in OPFOR TO&E are there for just that purpose.

Very good AAR.
    Thanks - and thank you for your comments.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    I agree with the lessons learned you listed but I'd add another level.
    Because of the exited helicopters you had much less infantry mobility than you should have. To counter that, you needed to disperse all of your dismounts and soft skinned units over wider areas. That is critical in keeping losses to enemy artillery to a manageable level.

The ATGMs in particular need to be dispersed as widely as possible so that concentrated artillery fire does not first suppress and then destroy them. The large numbers of SP mortars and howitzers in OPFOR TO&E are there for just that purpose.

Very good AAR.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Final part is now up:

Here

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Nice job on the AAR. Let me know if you need any other data.

TacOps sits at sort of an intermediate scale. You see a lot of the same weapons as in company level games, but grouped as units. But they aren't like the composite units you normally see in games covering brigade and higher levels. Individual vehicles and sometimes even individual soldiers still get counted.

I'll be interested in what lessons learned you come up with from this exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Part 18 now up

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    I'm posting it in instalments on my blog.

Leave a comment:

• oldmgunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    More like five months... AAR will be following this.
    I'd like to read the AAR!

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    At this point in the game all of the key unknowns are gone.

The lead elements have done their jobs and cleared all significant resistance along the routes of advance. Only units in the woods near RED's exit points might interfere and all remaining artillery was being freely expended to keep those areas heavily suppressed.

Flank security units are now moving west to screen the main body's movement out of the area.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Part 17

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Part 16

One or two more to go.

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    At this point, all OPFOR units are finally on the map and getting into action. Managing this horde at the TacOps scale is a bit of a challenge and you will occasionally see a battalion 'reverse course' as I occasionally forget why I did something the previous week.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Part 15 is now up.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Part 14 is now up

Leave a comment:

• GCoyote
    replied
    Having encountered BlueFor armor in the north I expected his infantry to be right behind it in woods between the airfield and the north map edge. Accordingly I started an artillery prep on that area as I prepared to push the first motor rifle company through it.

At this point the helicopters blue moved off the map earlier would have been key. The infantry strung out along the road east of the airfield could have been airlifted to cover either the northern or southern flank. Without them however it was too late for the dismounted force to react to the mechanized attacks bypassing it on either side.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Hunter
    replied
    Part 13 up

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X