No announcement yet.

TacOps 4 PBEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does TacOps4 have the Battlefront DRM requirements? I use to "own" 3 and I wouldn't mind getting 4 if it's DRM free.

Thanks!
    Combat Command Matrix Edition: The Forgotten Few

Comment

Originally posted by Epee1 View Post
      Does TacOps4 have the Battlefront DRM requirements? I use to "own" 3 and I wouldn't mind getting 4 if it's DRM free.

Thanks!
      I don't believe it has any DRM on it (bought it many years ago) but not 100% sure. Maybe someone else could chime in an confirm this?
      [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Where's Longblade when you need him, he knows EVERYTHING.

Comment

The physical disk is still DRM free. Not sure about the download but I can check pretty quickly.

Edit: the developer says "not"

http://www.battlefront.com/community...ead.php?t=2462
          Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Thanks GCoyote! I plan on picking this one up again.

Is the reference manual version worth the price of admission. In other words do you find your self looking at it much?

Comment

Originally posted by Epee1 View Post
              ... Is the reference manual version worth the price of admission. In other words do you find your self looking at it much?
              Not for the game. I usually use them to answer various sorts of questions people ask here on the forums or for my own projects. As many of the FMs on the CD are the 1980s-1990s versions, they are becoming more important as historical references for the late Cold War - Desert Storm period. Newer manuals can frequently be found free online.

Comment

Part Four of my AAR is up
                Silent Hunter UK
                Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

RE: Clearing OBJ E.

You'll find the only positive way to clear an objective against a human (or an AI that has run out of ammo) is to have a ground unit walk/drive through each terrain cell.

Comment

Which is exactly what happened.
                    Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Part Six is now up on my blog.
                      Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                        Part Six is now up on my blog.

"In fact, four red units (two BTRs and their AT4 teams inside) actually fled the map at 0803 Ė I donít know why Coyote did that."
                        Accident. Didn't watch what I was clicking on carefully enough.

Comment

Part Seven should be up about now.
                          Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Red's goals for this phase of the battle (0800-0859) were as follows:
                            1. Prevent Blue from seeing and targetting the east map edge.
                            2. Gain a recon picture of Blue's force in eastern third of the AO.
                            3. Register accurate artillery TRPs on all likely Blue fighting positions.*

Two things stand out from the replay. Not knowing that blue had moved most of his helicopters off map after the initial air assault, I was expecting to see those helicopters used to redistribute his infantry and especially his anti-tank assets to block the next Red attack. And from that I also expected his infantry to be a lot farther East than it actually was.

So at this point I was a bit confused about the lack of enemy contact.

I also kept getting resupply of 220mm MRLs that I did not have targets for so I just kept hitting likely hiding places.*

---

*Note: TacOps artillery is roughly a circa 1980 model. Unobserved artillery is not very effective and will 'wander' about from the plotted point of impact without an observer to pass corrections to the FDC. This scenario in particular does not include dedicated artillery FOs so it normally takes about 4-5 rounds of adjustment to get the pattern where you want it. As a consequence, high accuracy TRPs are very valuable in putting rapid and effective fire on important targets.

When the player starts a new fire mission on an existing TRP he can shift up to 1000m on Fire-For-Effect (FFE). Experienced players will try to get at least a couple dozen high accuracy TRPs (level 5 is the max) spaced around 2000m apart across the battle space. That creates the max probability of getting immediate suppressive fire on critical targets like ATGMs and SAMs.

*The default MRL/MLRS unit in TacOps is a full battalion. It hits an entire grid square at once so accuracy is only a minor issue. Just don't drop it too close to a friendly force as it is a very very blunt instrument.

More on this later.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by GCoyote; 05 Feb 12, 10:55.

Comment

That's a lot of TRPs. I hardly used any - which I clearly should have.
                              Silent Hunter UK

Personal Blog

Comment

Hi SH. Yeah, for about half of the game the only major weapon I had was artillery so I tried to make the most of it. That and once I plotted orders for a dismounted infantry squad it would take it 20 minutes to finish moving so I had plenty of time to plan the fire support for phase III.

TacOps has a lot of features and it takes a number of games to learn to use them all well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X