New to these games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to these games

Whats a good game to cut your teeth on? Ive always played RTS' but looking at getting in to turn based games, any suggestions?

What scale do you prefer? tactical? operational? strategical? and which period?

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      What scale do you prefer? tactical? operational? strategical? and which period?
      Agreed.

There are tons of great games, so we can dial things in for you.
      RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Really love the games keep them rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
          Really love the games keep them rolling.
          Sarcasm?

StRyan1868
          New to these games
          Whats a good game to cut your teeth on? Ive always played RTS' but looking at getting in to turn based games, any suggestions?
          For StRyan1868,

As some others mentioned there are a lot of options. I tend to play the light turn-based games myself, so here are some suggestions you can easily get into:

Battle for Wesnoth: Google and download for free. This totally free gem is a turn-based fantasy tactical combat game with light rpg elements. I think it's a nice game for people who come from the RTS genre, b/c there's plenty of action and it has a fairly simple interface, while still having it's deep elements.

Panzer General Forever: Google and download for free. This is a great freeware(?) version of Panzer General which allows you to experience a great popcorn strategy gem. WW2 turn-based combat; lots of fun.

Panzer General II: Find on Good Old Games (www.gog.com). For a few bucks you can have this classic of popcorn strategy gaming. This was actually the first computer game I ever bought, and it's still one of my favorites.

Steel Panthers: World at War. Google and you can find it for free. Definitely a more complex offering, but it's also free and a real classic of the turn-based strategy genre.

Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. Find it on Good Old Games. This is actually a really nice game for someone coming from the RTS genre, because the action takes place in "real-time". Basically you give your orders to your units, and they carry them out for a set phase of time, while you see things unfold.

These are all older games, but they're all either free or available for less than $10, so it's a nice way to try some options out while getting a feel for what kind of turn-based games you want to invest in.

Comment

Looking for the tactical level and in WW2. Thnaks for the input Llama I will def check these out for sure. I looked at Panzer General on gog.com just wasnt sure about it enough to drop cash on it.

Comment

Originally posted by StRyan1868 View Post
              Looking for the tactical level and in WW2. Thnaks for the input Llama I will def check these out for sure. I looked at Panzer General on gog.com just wasnt sure about it enough to drop cash on it.
              I can vouch for Panzer General 2 on GoG. All their stuff is DRM free and works well with Windows 7. If you have an odd screen resolution, you may not get it to run in widescreen mode (like my cheap laptop) but it still runs fine and is a great game.

If you don't mind quasi turn based, you might check out Combat Mission Afrika Korps. It's a few years old and the graphics are nothing special, but I spent more time playing that game than almost any other.

Ben
              "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Try the demo of the new Combat Mission Normandy, the game can be played either in pausable real time or WEGO: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...278&Itemid=461

Comment

Llama nailed it for WWII turn-based tactical, and Boonie is definitely right about trying the new Combat Mission game.

Give those a shot and then come back to us and tell us what you think.
                  RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Comment

I wouldn't go with 'introductory games'. I have seen people driven away from war games after experimenting simplistic or outdated examples.

Go to the more iconic and then you'll see if you really like them or not.

For tactical games, Combat Mission is really the most praised computer tactical war game, but get the demo for the new one, as Boonierat suggested. Try to play it in WEGO mode. Not only you'll get a better feel of how turn based games play out, but also, it's the best way to play in my opinion. In such a game you already have the benefit of, for instance, using one far away unit to spot a tank coming and placing your nearby anti tank team in a good position, even if the team wasn't able to see the tank and there was no possible communication (player awareness has a huge role), as in all tactical games; but in real time you bring them near the tank make them crawl and order them to shoot, making it feel almost like a FPS seen from outside. In WEGO mode you have to calculate future positions and decide about the risks. Things may change and that make planning and prediction more important.

Close Combat is iconic as well, but is RTS.

ASL is a turn based board game which you can play against others through a system called VASL (download for free in Vasl.org). It is the MOST iconic of all tactical war games and the most deep experience you can get, but some don't like the complexity. Yet, the have published stater kits, which make introduction to the game much easier. It's huge! Thousands of scenarios covering all WWII and some covering other conflicts too. The graphics (even for a board game) are outdated, but its all about the rules. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqwcHiA18p0

Some will say that ASL will put you away from turn based war games, but if you don't like ASL with all its depth and complexity and also don't like Combat Mission, which is easy to get in and deep also (even if more limited in options), then...

Some extra iconic games are: John Tiller series and Steel Panthers.

Comment

Also, is there any ww2 navel based games anyone can recommned?

Comment

Well, Storm Eagle Entertainment made a game called Distant Guns. However, it's not WWII. Instead it covers the Russo-Japanese War.

Umm...there is the Silent Hunter series of WWII Submarine games.

If you want Operational Level (or even Grand Operational) and don't mind the steep learning curve and absolutely massive scale, there is always War in the Pacifc by Matrix Games.

Ben
                        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

For WWII turn-based, don't forget Slitherine's Battlefield Academy (my review here). It is a great TB wargame that is easy to play and includes a great PBEM server for arranging games and exchanging files (if only CMBN had something similar after all these years). Game page:http://www.slitherine.com/games/bbc_ba_pc

As for WWII naval games - sigh. There are so darn few. What I would give for a new Carriers at War type of game. Why is it that now when we have the technology to bring such epic battles to wonderful life, nobody wants to take on the Pacific naval war?
                          Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

NWS has a WWII naval game, but the graphics and UI are pretty bare bones. Under the hood they've put in a ton of work.

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/nawasi.html

Comment

Originally posted by StRyan1868 View Post

Keep an eye out for Matrix/Slitherine's Panzer Corps - an update to the original Panzer General.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X