Panzer Command: Osfront released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kellysheroes View Post
    Post Deleted due to proscribed personal insult of a fellow forum member!

You've been here far more than enough to know such callous personal insults will not be tolerated, KH.

ACG Staff
    How have I so offended you that you would attack me so personally? Keep posting...You're only making yourself look the fool.
    Last edited by Admiral; 23 Jul 11, 19:04. Reason: Edit of quote to reflect current form

Comment

The topic isn't Wargamer.com, it's Panzer Command: Ostfront released!

Ain't no need for personal insults!

ACG Staff

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

[Rant on]As a member of both sites, it amazes me when someone doesn't like something or someone from the other side, it quickly degenerates into name calling and trolling. And Jarhead seems to be the lightning rod more often than not. He is a member in good standing at WG and is known as a staunch friend who has your back. Is he a forceful personality who speaks his mind? Certainly, but you always know where you stand with him. And I would prefer my friends that way than watching my back for a knife. [Rant off]
        "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
        And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Kellys got tossed out of WG because he had nothing positive to lend to the forums.

Hopefully he'll manage to to become a positive contributor here, but judging by the fact that his rep is disabled, I'm not encouraged.

Anyway, as Admiral said, this thread is about Ostfront. I haven't had time to play it yet, but that might be the thing to download tonight. It's been out for a couple of months - anyone got some thoughts they want to share about it?
          RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

You haven't been here long enough to know that such callously focused personal insults will not be tolerated, OC.

But you know know!

ACG Staff
            Last edited by Admiral; 23 Jul 11, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by kellysheroes View Post

You've been here far more than enough to know such callous personal insults will not be tolerated, KH.

ACG Staff
              Well that sums it up, doesn't it? It's clear to see what the issue is.

Dude, if ya don't like it, don't visit. And send JH some flowers, will ya?
              Last edited by Centurion40; 24 Jul 11, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
                Kellys got tossed out of WG because he had nothing positive to lend to the forums.

Hopefully he'll manage to to become a positive contributor here, but judging by the fact that his rep is disabled, I'm not encouraged.

Anyway, as Admiral said, this thread is about Ostfront. I haven't had time to play it yet, but that might be the thing to download tonight. It's been out for a couple of months - anyone got some thoughts they want to share about it?
                I see that Longblades lying didn't stop at The Wargamer. No matter I found a home where I can call a spade a spade and I don't mean a playing card.

Comment

Don't care what your problem is, KH, but get back to us when you figger out the difference between outright personally focused specific insult of a Fellow Forum Member & the trollish incitement inherent in your use of the term "spade".

But before that, lose the racism!

ACG Staff

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Well, regardless, I've downloaded Ostfront and hope to get it fired up tomorrow.
                    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE - PzCmd Ostfront - first impressions

I downloaded this game and have played a little bit, so this is a far from full review, rather a first impression.

I played half the tutorial and the Lipki 1941 battle (Gers defending village against Russian attack).

The game is very much based on Combat Mission's system of giving orders for, in this case 40 second turns, then the events for that turn are played out.

I like the game system and bought PCO instead of the latest Combat Mission Normandy because I had difficulties buying online because something in the latter's fraud prevention system refused to accept my credit card. The supercilious emails from CM HQ didn't help, so I went to Panzer Command's site and downloaded and installed the game without a hitch.

The game does seem Germanocentric as a previous poster suggested. Maybe that's good, as the AI's obtuseness does feel very early-war Russian?

Now onto grumbles - I'm a grog after all!

I played Lipki - a small force of dug-in PzIIIF's, 2 Pak 37mm AT, and infantry gets attacked by oodles of BT7's, a T34 and a KV2.

I didn't change the standard deployment and played on Normal difficulty.

The Russian forces came forward onto my positions and got a good wellying.
                      I lost two PzIIIF (37mmm guns) early on and hid my third in cover as I didn't want to lose that.

The dug in German infantry gave a good account of themselves and the Russians only managed to drive one BT7 into the outskirts of the village, which got brewed up immediately. The victory marker at that point stood at Germans 55% Russians 19% - a decisive German victory. (To win you have to reach 75% but I didn't know that)

I had just sat back letting the German forces do their stuff without much micromanagement as I was learning the interface and systems. Yes, I generally don't read the manual before I start. Too much bother!

German Reinforcements arrived 3 x PzIV (short 75mm). I brought them toward the battle line, rather slowly using the Bound move instead of Advance (this means half your forces advance with half covering on overwatch). After I realised my mistake I moved them forward more rapidly, although there doesn't seem to be a Fast Move like there is in CM.
                      (They were safe from enemy fire, so it would have been better to whizz down the roads at full speed).

I also discovered that troops on Defending orders don't necessarily fire - if they are not directly attacked. My 50mm mortar platoon's info said Defending (Engaging) so I assumed they were firing and left them to it!!

Maybe the game programmers were not native English speakers - if it had said Defending (Acquiring Targets, Holding Fire), I would have understood.

When I manually targetted the mortars near a flank-on BT7, (to hit its accompanying infantry) it was obvious that the mortars were doing damage to it and the infantry (screams!) and forced the BT7 commander to button up.

The idea was that it would not see the approaching (600 m away) PZ IVs and they would knock it out. As the PZIVs crept into view on the road, the BT7 did a bit of "Borg Spotting", changed facing, and got off a shot! The lead panzer IV dispatched it efficiently.

I had noticed that the Win percentage for the Russians had been going up by about 20% each turn and I had a marginal loss. (the Russians hadn't actually advanced at all for the last 5 moves) Peeved about that:

I destroyed 11 BT7s and a T34 for loss of 2 PzIIIF and a 37mm Pak. Not sure how many infantry casualties I inflicted but it seemed to be a lot. Although I was slow in responding, the Russians never really had any toe-hold in the village, although the destroyed BT7 seemed to still have gained a marker flag on that part of the village, even though it was still held by my infantry.

Admittedly the KV2 was useless, if a human had been playing me, I expect it would have pulverised the wooden houses and foxholes.

I haven't found a screen which tells you how many casualties you are taking vs inflicting. It was very difficult to assess what was happening on the infantry assault as I couldn't see all the enemy, and I didn't know how many were killed, how many pinned down, or whether they were crawling forward under cover.

I'm going to play some more games. It's an interesting system but so far I can only give it a partially favourable review as I am pretty unhappy with the "referee's decision".. In my view the Jerries gave the Ruskies a severe pasting....

Comment

One point I did like was that you only have to give orders to the command unit of a platoon - tank or infantry and all the others under its command will do the same so it saves micromanaging every unit.

Comment

Further - the Russians seem to have the problem that bedevilled CM: Barbarossa to Berlin - Borg spotting. I like the challenge of sneaking a 37mm gunned tank up behind a KV or T34 and giving them one up the tailpipe...but I already have had the problem of Russian tanks being able to instrantly spot threats creeping up on them and turn to face them. The KV2 spun 180 degrees in a few seconds when my Pz IIIs were sneaking up behind it with woods for cover, then spun back when I moved the sole PzIII in the village to try to blindside it from the opposite flank.

I was wrong about "Fast Move" it is called Rush and it is full speed without firing.

I cannot find a command to put Waypoints for my individual tanks to move them precisely into the best firing positions with their frontal armour towards the enemy.

BTs seem to spot you almost instantly. As there are so many of them you get fired on by 3 or more and that is a duel the German forces tend to lose.

I am sure there are much greater experts on Russian v German tanks here than me, but my understanding was that the poor visibility, inferior optics, 2 man turrets, lack of radios, and poor training meant the engagement cycles were very heavily in favour of the Germans.

That doesn't seem to be how it has played out in the one game I have played (twice) and the vast number of BTs in this scenario mean that the german tanks come off badly because of the sheer number of tanks acquiring them as targets and hitting them with the first or second shot at up to 600m.

I don't find this too realistic. Not to mention irritating.

Comment

PCO...its okay

PCO its okay but not as great as it could be. For one, they decided that armored vehicles could knock down trees, but direct fire at a building does nothing to the building They didn't include any AA units (at least some mobile AA gun platforms would have been good) and hence no way to ward off or kill enemy ground attack aircraft. Didn't include any cavalry or horse-drawn unit...againg Far fewer single scenarios and campaigns compared to the CM games. I still would recommend it to anyone that enjoys WWII Eastern Front battles, but expect to have less units to play with.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X