War in the East Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War in the East Help

I am just a beginner. All I have played is Axis and Allies series boardgames. I am getting really interested in the War in the East advertised here at AG. Is it something a relative beginner can play without help. I have fairly good undertanding of the actual historical war that the game is modeled after. I also have a good background in Orbats, TOEs and warfare history.
    Last edited by Slim; 05 May 11, 03:39.

Slim, I haven't played the game, but, I am made to understand that the tactical unit in the game is the regiment. That would lead to a LARGE amount of units on the board.
    "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
    And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

The tactical unit in the game is the division. Only sometimes you can split a divison into 3 regiments. So the count of units in the game is easy to handle.
      The game is really amazing. For the start there are some small szenarios, there you can learn the gameplay.
      The game is easy to play, but hard to master. There are so many things you can do.
      Its a good choice for a hardcore strategy gamer.
      If you have detail questions, you are always welcome.

Comment

Hi Slim.

Let me start by saying I have not played War in the East.

I have dabbled with War in the Pacific, which is its brother in design.

I am not convinced that this is a good game to start with. While the mechanics aren't too complex the game's scale is enormous. War in the East is a monster game. Guys with lots of experience playing the game will take about an hour to complete one turn.

Think about that.

That isn't to say it not a great game - there is really nothing else out there like it. Dollar for dollar I suspect you'll be hard pressed to find a game with more depth and longevity.

However, I'd want to know a whole lot more about you and the games you like to play and the games you think you'd like to play before I recommended this. It's not cheap relative to other games on the market, and despite the fact that it's a bargain for all the gaming you'll get, if you don't play it it won't matter.

It sounds like you're looking for a starter game. Probably Eastern Front. And Strategic.

So what games have you played so far that you like?
        RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Ohh man, I remember my first few days with War in the Pacific. Talk about overwhelming!

I would suggest something different if you are just dipping your toes into the wargame genre. Do you have an Eastern Front preference? Or are you open to other areas of the war?

Ben
          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
            Hi Slim.

Let me start by saying I have not played War in the East.

I have dabbled with War in the Pacific, which is its brother in design.

I am not convinced that this is a good game to start with. While the mechanics aren't too complex the game's scale is enormous. War in the East is a monster game. Guys with lots of experience playing the game will take about an hour to complete one turn.

Think about that.

That isn't to say it not a great game - there is really nothing else out there like it. Dollar for dollar I suspect you'll be hard pressed to find a game with more depth and longevity.

However, I'd want to know a whole lot more about you and the games you like to play and the games you think you'd like to play before I recommended this. It's not cheap relative to other games on the market, and despite the fact that it's a bargain for all the gaming you'll get, if you don't play it it won't matter.

It sounds like you're looking for a starter game. Probably Eastern Front. And Strategic.

So what games have you played so far that you like?

Hi long Blade,

The most I have ever played are the Axis and Allies series boardgame. I have no expereince with turn based strategy games.
            However I am big time into the actual clash between the Germans and the Russians in the Eastern Front from historical, tactical and strategic point of view. I have a fair amount of understanding af all aspects of the war down to fairly intricate details. I also have a good undesratanding of armored and combined arms warfare, the understanding of the different units down from the basic platoon and sections leading up to divisions corps and field armies. I have never served in the military however I have read many of the field manuals of the U.S army and the various historical/technical literature put out by the U.S army regarding WW2. I am also an avid collector of TOEs and orbats.

My interest is in playing Barbaroossa and other eastern front wars and figuring out how would have things transpired if certain variables could have been altered.
            Last edited by Slim; 07 May 11, 00:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftie View Post
              Ohh man, I remember my first few days with War in the Pacific. Talk about overwhelming!

I would suggest something different if you are just dipping your toes into the wargame genre. Do you have an Eastern Front preference? Or are you open to other areas of the war?

Ben

Hi Ben,

I do have prefernce for the eastern front.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post

Hi Ben,

I do have prefernce for the eastern front.

How about Korsun Pocket (w/ the Across the Dnepr Expansion)?

It was the first of Stategic Studios Group's games in the Decisive Battles of World War II series. It's a little older (released in 2003) but holds up very well. It has a medium complexity and really gives you that board game feel of rolling dice and moving counters around a map. If you enjoy the title, the other games in the series are outstanding as well. I own Battles in Normandy and Battles in Italy as well.

You can check out the game over at www.MatrixGames.com . I would give you a direct link but all gaming websites are blocked for me.

Ben
                "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

I am just a beginner. All I have played is Axis and Allies series boardgames. I am getting really interested in the War in the East advertised here at AG. Is it something a relative beginner can play without help.
                  No. You will waste humongous amounts of your time.

I have fairly good undertanding of the actual historical war that the game is modeled after. I also have a good background in Orbats, TOEs and warfare history.
                  Won't help with the game mechanics.

Comment

Hi long Blade,

The most I have ever played are the Axis and Allies series boardgame. I have no expereince with turn based strategy games.
                    However I am big time into the actual clash between the Germans and the Russians in the Eastern Front from historical, tactical and strategic point of view. I have a fair amount of understanding af all aspects of the war down to fairly intricate details. I also have a good undesratanding of armored and combined arms warfare, the understanding of the different units down from the basic platoon and sections leading up to divisions corps and field armies. I have never served in the military however I have read many of the field manuals of the U.S army and the various historical/technical literature put out by the U.S army regarding WW2. I am also an avid collector of TOEs and orbats.

My interest is in playing Barbaroossa and other eastern front wars and figuring out how would have things transpired if certain variables could have been altered.
                    My advice to you is to start playing strategy games that are less involved and work your way up to War in the Pacific. It is designed from the ground up to be a monster game, not necessarily in complexity, but in scope.

The equivalent PC game to an Axis & Allies game is probably going to be Gary Grigsby's A World At War: A World Divided. Read over the description and see if that's something that would interest you. There are other games, but I think as an avid Axis & Allies player you'll be more comfortable starting there. Let us know what you think and we can answer more questions about the game once you've become familiar with it.
                    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Played the original gary Grigsby game years ago and it is excellent but the Ai is a dud (most are). The game mechanics are manageable but learning how to balance a corps and other operational issues takes experience. There is also a production and command/control component that requires paying attention to (although you can just leave the production alone and it will evolve naturally).

You need to balance such things as replacement levels in HQs with availability since setting them two high will simply drain reserves.

Against the AI you will win easily (as both sides) as it cannot seem to figure how to stop a concentrated assault.

I have considered the new version but haven't yet taken the plunge. Like all wargames, once mastered the game can be a lot of fun but against a human opponent do not expect to do as well as the Germans did in the OTL,... you will never win (a human player will never make the kind of errors necessary to lose).
                      The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X