Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armada 2526: Supernova released!

Linky

The original game was already a lot of fun, and the new Supernova expansion only further improves and enriches the experience. It hits that sweet spot of being easy to learn yet hard to master, while also capturing that "just one more turn" feeling. For anyone who enjoys space strategy 4x games, Armada 2526 -- especially with the new expansion -- is one I definitely recommend checking out!

(Note: In the interests of full disclosure, I was a beta-tester for the expansion, and I also own the base game.)
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Thanks, Kahless.

I take it you're enjoying the expansion?
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I second Kahlass' recommendation with the proviso that I was also a beta tester for the expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
        Thanks, Kahless.

I take it you're enjoying the expansion?
        Oh yes, very much so. As I've said before/elsewhere, I'd gotten (back) into Armada in a big way last autumn when the 1.4 update for the vanilla game was released, and Supernova has only improved what was already a pretty fun 4x title.

The new planetary "specials", trade system, and PBEM play (who thought I'd ever actually *enjoy* MP games??!) alone make the expansion worthwhile. When you throw in the new spy system, expanded tech tree (double in size), two new races, and improved customization options, it more than justifies the expansion's $15.00 price tag.

I admittedly wasn't too impressed with Armada 2526 when it was first released in late 2009, but it's really grown and improved these last 18 months. And now with Supernova released, I'm starting to suspect that we may have a genuine (if under-appreciated) classic on our hands.

I'm actually now enjoying this game more than Distant Worlds, and possibly even as much as Birth of the Federation (which for me is saying a lot!). Not that I'm about to the pronounce Armada as perfect and the herald of the Second Coming -- for instance, battles are still rather unsatisfactory IMO -- but it does scratch my 4x "itch" better than any other space strategy game that I've played in a long time.

Comment

Incidentally, Direct2Drive has a special sale going right now: If you purchase the Supernova expansion for $14.95, you get the base game free as well.

So you can essentially purchase the whole bundle for fifteen bucks. For those who like 4x titles, and at that price, it's definitely worth getting!

Comment

I just picked up Armada 2526 on a whim at a discount book store for 8.00 and haven't done much more than install it yet. Something tells me this is going to be 8 bucks very well spent. I will likely be up very late tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwolf View Post
              I just picked up Armada 2526 on a whim at a discount book store for 8.00 and haven't done much more than install it yet. Something tells me this is going to be 8 bucks very well spent. I will likely be up very late tonight.
              The developer worked on one of the early Total War games, so you'll see some similarities.

I played the vanilla v1.0 and liked the game. I'm sure patches have brought it a long way since then.
              RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X