Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panzer Corps (a new Panzer General-esque game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panzer Corps (a new Panzer General-esque game)

In 1994 Strategic Simulations Inc. (SSI) released a title that would change the face of strategy gaming forever. Panzer General delivered an exceptionally easy to learn gameplay system and was such a captivating game that it became a benchmark for future designers for years to come.
    In 2011 a project developed by The Lordz Games Studio and published by Slitherine, will see fans of the series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance.
    Iain McNeil, director of Development at Slitherine said: "With this game we are trying to bring the golden age of strategy gaming back to its roots. This game is Slitherine's homage to one of the greatest strategy titles of all time and we are working hard to ensure we capture the flavor of that masterpiece, yet update it with features and a graphical style that will appeal to a modern strategy gamer".

Check out the developer diary written by Alex Shargin, lead developer on Panzer Corps.

Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions.

Tim van der Moer, Managing Director of the Lordz Games Studio said: "There are many World War II strategy games out there, but Panzer Corps will blow you away. We are putting all our efforts to make a memorable game, that can stand the test of time the way Panzer General did".

- 400 unit types, divided into 19 unit classes with 20 detailed parameters to indentify units abilities, 17 terrain types affecting gameplay in various way. Panzer Corps will celebrate the glory days of strategy gaming with the aim of attracting new players to the genre;

- Campaign: all 26 scenarios are combined into a large campaign tree with several entry points at various stages of the war. Depending on the outcome of each battle (decisive victory, marginal victory or defeat), the player will be faced with different challenges and a progress along different parts of the campaign tree;

- Nations: all major and many minor nations represented: Germany, Italy, Poland, France, Great Britain, USA, USSR, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands, Albania, Romania, Greece and more.

- Core units that travel with you throughout the campaign gaining experience and that can be upgraded as new weapon technologies become available.
    Homepage

And some screenshots:

I am really looking forward to Slitherine's Panzer Corps. I hope I am not disappointed.
    "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

^ +1 Panzer General was responsible for many nights of lost sleep for me back in the 90s.

Comment

I am not a fan of that "toy soldiers" look.

-

Comment

They should make something like Meier's Crusade in Europe, with more realistic numbers (instead of "7" or "10"), brigades or divisions containing various units (e.g., tanks, infantry, etc.), real-time play with pauses, air attacks from air bases. It should still be a fun game even with these features.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMe View Post

-
            I dont mind it because I dont think counters would have worked as well with a more casual strategy game like this.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMe View Post

-
              I have read a number of times that Panzer General was credited with saving the PC wargaming genre. The way I understand it, Chris Crawford had tried to do that earlier with Patton Strikes Back but that game never caught on. Although grognards might look down their noses at games like Panzer Corps, the fact of the matter is there aren't enough grognards to keep PC wargaming alive and thriving. I believe the type of games introduced by Panzer General appeals to enough gamers that the necessary income will be generated to insure that PC game developers and publishers will continue to provide us all with the computer games that we desire.
              "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

Comment

Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
                I have read a number of times that Panzer General was credited with saving the PC wargaming genre. The way I understand it, Chris Crawford had tried to do that earlier with Patton Strikes Back but that game never caught on. Although grognards might look down their noses at games like Panzer Corps, the fact of the matter is there aren't enough grognards to keep PC wargaming alive and thriving. I believe the type of games introduced by Panzer General appeals to enough gamers that the necessary income will be generated to insure that PC game developers and publishers will continue to provide us all with the computer games that we desire.
                It certainly was responsible for me embracing more serious strategy fare later in life. Robert E. Lee: Civil War General and Panzer Generals II came out when I was a lad in Middle School, and they were what brought me into the realm of the grognards.

The problem with games like them is that I am one of those people at a crossroads: I can soon grow bored with more simplistic games like Panzer Generals, but on the other hand I have little desire to learn how to play TOAW on my own. I like to find a bit of middle-ground, which is very rare indeed.

Comment

Those screen shots bring back alot of memories. For being 'wargaming lite' PG didn't have too bad of an AI.
                  If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
                    Those screen shots bring back alot of memories. For being 'wargaming lite' PG didn't have too bad of an AI.
                    The simpler the game mechanics, the easier it is to produce a competitive AI. Thats why they can have a machine beat people at chess but not a modern strategy game with many more variables.

Comment

I spent many hours playing the PG Series. Looking forward to the new one.

Comment

I really wonder how much different it's going to be than Panzer General I? These remakes of older titles just so they run on these new OS's for those same full retail prices don't strike me as a bargain. For new wargamers...yes as they are new and the price would be fair to them. But, for the old veteran like myself and many others I just can't see paying full price for a remake workover of colors and terrain and basically the same gameplay as before.

So, I'll ask here: What's the big difference in the two games? Are there many different scenarios? Does it have a campaign game? Does the campaign game follow the same path as the origional game? Is the reinforcement system as bad as it was in the origional where units could plop down on any hex near the objective hexes even if surrounded or in enemy zones of control? Can air units occupy the same hexes as land units? These are things I'd have to know are improved and changed before I would buy into it. I personally liked the 3D games they made the best so I may just buy that version from GoG for $6.

Also the problem I have with Slitherine an Iain McNeil is their AI's have gone downhill in the last several years. The Field of Glory series and Battlefield Academy are the worst I've seen in a long time by them. They did so well with Spartan & Troy and now their ai's are practicaly non-existant. So I'm very skeptical about this upcoming PG remakes ai in Panzer Crap.
                        Last edited by kellysheroes; 16 Apr 11, 23:41.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X