Strategic Command - World War 1: The Great War 1914-1918

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic Command - World War 1: The Great War 1914-1918

Strategic Command - World War 1: The Great War 1914-1918 by Battlefront just released to pre-orders yesterday. If you are interested in WWI this is a must game... Easy to play, rich in historical detail, broad in scope, very well balanced and a solid AI. Excellent game!!!

Agreed. I've already got a writer assigned to review it.
    RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I have an AAR of this game at www.battlefront.com and at www.wargamer.com in the general gaming section of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jestre View Post
        Strategic Command - World War 1: The Great War 1914-1918 by Battlefront just released to pre-orders yesterday. If you are interested in WWI this is a must game... Easy to play, rich in historical detail, broad in scope, very well balanced and a solid AI. Excellent game!!!
        How is it that you knew/know how good the game would be/is before it is released?
        Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
        http://www.kampfgruppe.us

Comment

My guess is Jestre is/was a beta-tester.
          "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Kahless View Post
            My guess is Jestre is/was a beta-tester.
            That's probably a very reasonable guess. If true, he should have disclosed it in his opening post.

Comment

True. Otherwise, you'll just come off as an empty corporate shill promoting a product, rather than someone who's actually played (and is genuinely enthusiastic about) the game.
              "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Kahless View Post
                True. Otherwise, you'll just come off as an empty corporate shill promoting a product, rather than someone who's actually played (and is genuinely enthusiastic about) the game.
                This would be true if the beta-tester would benefit in any way from this games success.
                But the simple truth is this: they don't.

I'm one of the beta-testers myself, and i'm glad that i got invited, as i had the privilege and the great fun to play the game already during christmas.

I really like the game, beta-test or not.

If you are unsure about what you will get, well, just try the demo.

I haven't seen any better game about WW1.

I started with computer wargames around 1986, and i loved those SSI and SSG pearls which were released in those days. Hint: take a look at GOG / Good old games, where some of them were rereleased, running on all Windows systems, without DRM or trickery installation tricks.

When SSI went down i lost hope that i would soon see any good strategy or role playing game. With Biowares Baldurs Gate there was a worthy heir for SSI Pool of Radiance or Champions of Krynn series.
                Then Matrix brought some SSI pearls back to live. But nothing else good happened. Until Strategic Command got released.
                I bought every game of this series, an none of them let me down. Just the opposite.
                Honestly, i really love SC GlobalConflict, and SC WWW1 even more.

No Strategic Command Game ever disapointed me. I wish that would be true for all the Matrix Games i bough AFTER Steel Panthers General Edition and the Dos game Pacific War Matrix Edition. I wish i hadn't bought any other game after those fantastic games (but still Kudos to Matrix for those two!).

I'm not writing this because i stumbled somehow into the Beta-Test team of SC WW1, but because i love good wargames, board games or computer games.

If you need a great board game about WW1, take Ted Raicers "The Gread War in Europe deluxe" (review can be found at BoardGameGeek). If you can take a game with 1200+ counters, and about 1 week playtime.
                Last edited by xwormwood; 27 Apr 11, 18:41.
                "You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die"
                (George MacDonald)

Comment

The problem is that a beta tester is restricted my his non-disclosure agreement. I doubt that such things would allow him to come to this or any other forum and give a full, fair and objective review of it. A gaming company does not want beta testers giving even a qualified critical review/comments of the game.

Further, a beta-tester is usually more or less invested in the product he "helped" to create and would not be my first (or second or third) choice for an objective review of that game. Good example--the CMSF (also a BF game) beta testers and their game.

Comment

All i can say is that i like the SC game series, espacially how the game designers listen to their customers.

I'm just talking for myself, this is all me, not BF or what ever else.

I can only recommend the game. It is the best WW1 computer game if ever played. But don't listen to what i say, just play the demo. You don't need to trust me, just play it yourself, and judge yourself.

Again: i have nothing to gain from writing this. This game is neither "my baby" nor do i get something for writing this nor do i want something from writing this.

I'm just glad that i have this game, and this gladness sometimes flows out of my heart into some scribblings in a forum, if i detect one about the game. Its just as if you would tell someone about your last glorious vacation: you don't care if your dialog partner beliefs you what you have told him about the trip, and how much you enjoyed it. You don't care if he assumes that you are biased, because YOU have been on this vacation. You just continue to talk about how much fun you had, what you did, where you have been, etc. etc. And when he decides not to believe you, well, than thats absolutly ok, because you still have had this great vacation. And this is all what counts at the end of the day.

Ok, a bad example, i know.

I showed the game to my brother, who is not a beta tester or else involved into this game.
                    He is just a wargame fan, like me. And he likes the game as much as i do, which is a very good sign that the game is truly very good.

But again: don't believe me anything, go dig out the truth on your own.
                    Best way is probably to play the demo.
                    And than come back and tell me how YOU liked the game (or not)
                    Last edited by xwormwood; 27 Apr 11, 21:47.
                    "You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die"
                    (George MacDonald)

Comment

Strategic Command WW1 is an excellent game. I got so engrossed in the thing that I wrote a 30 page (word document) AAR that has about 5,000 combined views on the Wargamer & Battlefront forums.

I have almost all of the Strategic Command series and they keep getting better (except for surface navy conflict).

I cannot even remember the last strategic level PC WW1 game that was any good. This game has excellent multi-player ability and a competent AI. Multiple different strategies are possible against the AI as either the Central Powers or the Entente.

I've written a review which may appear here.

And for the paranoid among you I'm not a beta tester and have no connection with either fury software or battlefront. I paid full price for my copy.

But I digress. The full manual can be read. There is a free demo of the game. There are also 2 detailed AARs and a strategy guide for the 1914 campaign.

Try it for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by KG_Jag View Post
                        The problem is that a beta tester is restricted my his non-disclosure agreement. I doubt that such things would allow him to come to this or any other forum and give a full, fair and objective review of it. A gaming company does not want beta testers giving even a qualified critical review/comments of the game.

Further, a beta-tester is usually more or less invested in the product he "helped" to create and would not be my first (or second or third) choice for an objective review of that game. Good example--the CMSF (also a BF game) beta testers and their game.
                        Hey KG_Jag.

I'm Jim Zabek and I'm the gaming editor here at ACG.

I understand your wariness of beta testers. I don't think it's unreasonable to be somewhat skeptical of their testimony, but perhaps not the reasons you think.

Beta testers work for free. They're often, though not always, rewarded with a free copy of the game. Beyond that they stand nothing to gain by seeing a game's success. So in that regard there's no reason to doubt their word.

The only reason I would consider treating them skeptically is because they do help shape the game. They provide feedback. They often know what's happening "under the hood" in terms of how the rules treat specific situations.

Given that scenario, a beta tester is likely to enjoy a game - because his input helped create it. Some of his suggestions may have been incorporated into the game. He is likely to enjoy the game because in part it was built for him to enjoy it.

That doesn't mean it isn't a great game. It just means they might be slightly biased. Slightly. I see no conspiracies here.

Airboy is one of my senior writers. He is as objective as they come. If you want to discount xwormwood's testimony go ahead (I wouldn't - having the opinion of someone on the inside can often be helpful in spite of the fact they might like a game - they can share details most folks don't know). Regardless, Airboy's opinion is solid. He buys his own games. He knows gaming very well. He stands nothing to gain by telling you about it.

We are in the process of publishing his review. There are several articles competing for publication today. I'm not sure if it will go up today or something next week, but the review will go up shortly.

Read it, then come back here and ask questions based upon it. Then play the demo and decide for yourself what you think.
                        RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

Originally posted by LongBlade View Post
                          Hey KG_Jag.

I'm Jim Zabek and I'm the gaming editor here at ACG.

I understand your wariness of beta testers. I don't think it's unreasonable to be somewhat skeptical of their testimony, but perhaps not the reasons you think.

Beta testers work for free. They're often, though not always, rewarded with a free copy of the game. Beyond that they stand nothing to gain by seeing a game's success. So in that regard there's no reason to doubt their word.

The only reason I would consider treating them skeptically is because they do help shape the game. They provide feedback. They often know what's happening "under the hood" in terms of how the rules treat specific situations.

Given that scenario, a beta tester is likely to enjoy a game - because his input helped create it. Some of his suggestions may have been incorporated into the game. He is likely to enjoy the game because in part it was built for him to enjoy it.

That doesn't mean it isn't a great game. It just means they might be slightly biased. Slightly. I see no conspiracies here.

Airboy is one of my senior writers. He is as objective as they come. If you want to discount xwormwood's testimony go ahead (I wouldn't - having the opinion of someone on the inside can often be helpful in spite of the fact they might like a game - they can share details most folks don't know). Regardless, Airboy's opinion is solid. He buys his own games. He knows gaming very well. He stands nothing to gain by telling you about it.

We are in the process of publishing his review. There are several articles competing for publication today. I'm not sure if it will go up today or something next week, but the review will go up shortly.

Read it, then come back here and ask questions based upon it. Then play the demo and decide for yourself what you think.
                          No conspiracy theory Jim. I suspect (but don't yet know) that that the game is a good one, having bought the first version of it shortly after release. My point here is one of full disclosure by any "reviewer" of any conflict of interest or potential conflict of interest.

I look forward to your review.

P.S.--the fact that the fellow who started this thread (still) has only 4 posts also caught my eye.
                          Last edited by KG_Jag; 06 May 11, 16:03. Reason: Add P.S.

Comment

Actually I posted the op after playing the pre-release for a few hours. If I had known I would get the crap blown at me that ensued I wouldn't have bothered. I was merely trying to make people aware of a great game in a period mostly neglected....

Comment

Originally posted by Jestre View Post
                              Actually I posted the op after playing the pre-release for a few hours. If I had known I would get the crap blown at me that ensued I wouldn't have bothered. I was merely trying to make people aware of a great game in a period mostly neglected....
                              No one is going to "beat the crap" out of you, if you simply tell us that you are a beta tester for the game and your opinion is based on a few hours play of a pre-release version of the game.

You aren't exactly frequent poster here--so your opening this thread has the appearance of an interested party making a drive by promotion of his product. Again not a problem, if you introduce yourself and your connection with the game.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X