Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squad Battles - Attacking Iraqi Bunkers ... how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Battles - Attacking Iraqi Bunkers ... how?

I buckled and bought John Tiller's latest Squad Battles game, covering Afghanistan and Iraq scenarios.

However, I'm stuck in the tutorial mission. Objective: three bunkers near Umm Qasr'r port and thought this forum might be a good place to get a primer on modern U.S. tactics.

This is the lay of the land:

Each hex is 40 meters. Turns are 5 minutes. Turn limit for this scenario is 10 turns, i.e. 50 minutes.

My forces are an M1A1 Abrams. Infantry are Marines, armed thusly:
    1. 1st Sq., 2nd Plt, Fox Co., SSG Johnson, M-16. 3 sections of 4 each (2x M-16, 1x M-249 SAW, 1x M-203, 3x Smoke). 1 section of two (1x M-16, 1x SMAW).
    2. Platoon HQ. Lt. Norris. 3 men of the "HQ squad" (radio, plus M-16s), 2 MG teams of three people (1x M-240, 2x M-16)
    3. 2nd Sq., 2nd Plt, Fox Co., SSG Williams (same as 1.)

Attempt 1: put the tank behind the railroad tracks to lay suppressing fire on the bunkers. Infantry advances to the houses north of the bunkers. Heavy weapons fire at the northern bunker for two turns, then infantry is sent in behind smoke screen to take the bunker (ca. turn 5/6). Messy slaughter with Marines pinned down in front of the bunker.

Attempt 2: put the heavy weapons all along the railroad track, infantry approaches again from the North. Similar results.

Btw, no air support available.

Any suggestions? Playing the scenario without FOW, the Iraqis are high morale Republican Guard units (unlikely to break), about 8-10 men per bunker. Armed with AK-74, RPK-74, RPGs. The two southern bunkers also have SVD rifles.
    One Strikeout is a tragedy, a million Strikeouts are a statistic.
    - "Stallin' Joe" Dshugashvili, Manager of the Moscow Red Stars 1922 - 1953

Well, I can't tell you the 'real US tactics for this situation since you would not have just a single tank and the tanks would have set up in a support by fire position (SBF) and destroyed/suppressed the bunkers rather quickly as the infantry moved to flank them - all part of a larger maneuver battle of course.

I haven't played the game, but will be purchasing it shortly, so I can't give you 'game' strategies. But in reality Iraqi bunkers stand little chance when faced by M1 tanks.

For some strange reason if the HEAT round doesn't penetrate the bunker a constant pounding by them and pinpoint accurate M240 fire into the firing ports of the bunker does a wonder to suppress it.

Really the scenario should be over in 1 turn and 3-12 M1 shots. Oh and this should happen long before you are as close as 300 meters
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Stryker has it nailed, but, I'll be trying to think through the designer's head for a second (I don't own the game either) and throw a wild shot here- I think he wants you to take the bunkers out with the SMAW.

Where are the bunkers facing?

Best bet (according to your intel)

- Suppress bunkers with M1s.

- Lay down a smoke screen obscuring the bunkers' LOS, have the M1's suppress the houses to the north (where you were ambushed at previous attempts), be sure to leave some infantry units (especially the M-240) to suppress the bunkers (even if that means firing through the smoke screen).

- Flank south with remaining infantry units (don't forget the SMAW guys) and have them open up at the bunkers from behind.
      Last edited by Golani; 31 Dec 10, 09:00.

Comment

Thanks all, I'll try your suugestions and report back. This is a tutorial scenario, so I'm not sure complete realism is the prime goal here.

The bunkers/fortified positions have proven pretty impervious to HE fire from the tank so far, though. They have 360 vision, too.

Possibly Iraqi nuclear shelter?

Comment

I'd love to hear an update when you have the time...

Comment

Sorry, I got a bit distracted due to work.

I gave the scenario several more tries - it's only ten turns and has only a couple units on a small map.

My best attempt was setting up a smoke screen for troop cover with the tank, then sending all men into the industrial building North of the bunkers. I laid down heavy suppressive fire for two turns, then sent the infantry sections in two waves. The first got pinned down, but the second took the first bunker. In similar fashion I took the second bunker, but then the scenario was over (minor victory US).

Comment

Originally posted by Syt View Post
              Sorry, I got a bit distracted due to work.

I gave the scenario several more tries - it's only ten turns and has only a couple units on a small map.

My best attempt was setting up a smoke screen for troop cover with the tank, then sending all men into the industrial building North of the bunkers. I laid down heavy suppressive fire for two turns, then sent the infantry sections in two waves. The first got pinned down, but the second took the first bunker. In similar fashion I took the second bunker, but then the scenario was over (minor victory US).
              It seems as if it is WW2 weapons stats simply renamed as modern ones. As if it is a WW2 game posing as a modern one. The M1 should be able to quickly and accurately destroy the bunkers, there is ample real life data available on how simple of a task this is for a M1A1 tank crew. If play balance is an issue - don't put M1A1s in the scenario instead of making them unrealistically ineffective.

Adjustments for play balance create problems in modern day scenarios - one side in reality simply outclasses the other and it takes dumbing down one side and/or upping the other side to give balance.
              Кто там?
              Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
              Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Try this

Been awhile since I played this one but as I recall I used my M1 to fire off smoke and maneuver my infantry into the craters you see there. Then I had them go to ground and setup a base of fire on my target hex.

Switch your M1 ammo to HE before you attack the building too.

Pound the heck out of it until you get your assault squads with a leader into position in the industrial building. Try to get your SMAW squads close in. Its a deadly weapon system.

The industrial building has high defensive values so your gonna really need to disrupt and then pin the defenders in there - be patient if possible and keep an assault squad in reserve and fresh if possible. If you can demoralize the defenders first before the assault thats even better.

The up side of this deployment is that you can also pin other defenders moving to reinforce the objective.

Make sure you have a leader in that unit's chain of command within command range - usually 1-6 hexes. The closer in to critical points of contact the better.

Also if you get within half or less of the max range of your weapons you also have more firepower.

I hope that helps
                Last edited by Ironwulf; 14 Jun 11, 00:19.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X