Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Strategy Games Need a Sequel or Remake the Most?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Strategy Games Need a Sequel or Remake the Most?

    So, which Turn-Based Strategy games most deserve a proper sequel or remake?

    My current pick is Master of Orion II. MOO3 sucked, but a very good MOO4? It would be a dream come true. What others do you suggest?

  • #2
    Panzer General II. Except I want a campaign that you play battles based on how you perform. Like Defending the Reich (great campaign) should be fought in places that make sense based on how you play. If you do badly, yes the last battle should be Operation Conrad, but if you play well, the last campaign should be throwing the Russians out of Eastern Poland or something where the Reich is clearly strong enough to dictate peace to the Allies. More work yes, but worth it, oh yeah!
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Wolery View Post
      Panzer General II. Except I want a campaign that you play battles based on how you perform. Like Defending the Reich (great campaign) should be fought in places that make sense based on how you play. If you do badly, yes the last battle should be Operation Conrad, but if you play well, the last campaign should be throwing the Russians out of Eastern Poland or something where the Reich is clearly strong enough to dictate peace to the Allies. More work yes, but worth it, oh yeah!
      I liked that effect in the Civil War Generals series (another group of games that need a good sequel/remake).

      Comment


      • #4
        Less strategic but more tactical, I would say Steve Jackson's Ogre. That remains one of the finest sci-fi wargames ever. I am really surprised we haven't seen a remake of the 16-bit Origins version. Or at least a tribute game.
        Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Virtually NO wargame needs to be remade as new software more so that Steel Panthers.

          Of course as the word 'strategy' means different things to different people.

          I think someone should redo Strategic Command without those retard tiles. Oh wait, someone did, Slitherine did, they called it Commander Europe at War (yes Hubert, crapping on me will cost you for a long time).

          I think it is not the we need games remade for the PC though, I want to see people get the PC obsession dealt with, and just start porting games to consoles. Face it, if we don't start trying to get the younguns, you can kiss this niche good bye when I reach my 70s.

          Wargaming doesn't need to die, but the demographic eventually will.
          Life is change. Built models for decades.
          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
          I didn't for a long time either.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by les Brains View Post
            Virtually NO wargame needs to be remade as new software more so that Steel Panthers.
            True, but isn't Battlefield Academy a first step in that direction?
            Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

            Comment


            • #7
              Panzer Corps is supposed to be a PG update. And I would like to see something like the system used in Civil War Generals 2, where performance in battle dictated the next battle screen. I didn't think that CWG2 did a great job of it, but it was WAAAAAAYYYYYY better than PG II.
              "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
              And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

              "Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

              Comment


              • #8
                Fighting Steel needs a 21st century update...include all the ships present in the online mod, as well as a 'build your own ship' program.

                -Matt
                SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

                Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Wargamer Scott View Post
                  True, but isn't Battlefield Academy a first step in that direction?
                  BBC BA is indeed a good idea.

                  Definitely feeds the 'need'.

                  But a lot of the wargaming crowd think BBC BA is too 'cartoony' (likely the dumbest comment attached to the game though). They want more brutally accurate drawings and they want 7 hexes away to be exactly the same in both games

                  Plus Steel Panthers is a more complete game (I suspect we have gotten spoiled by the fact that Steel Panthers is all of WW2 everywhere).
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                    Plus Steel Panthers is a more complete game (I suspect we have gotten spoiled by the fact that Steel Panthers is all of WW2 everywhere).
                    With SP (IMO), the foundation is pretty much rock solid. What I think is needed is a complete rewriting of the code (not so much a redesign but a translation of the existing code into a new engine) so as to take advantage of the graphic capabilities of new machines. Basically more pixels and thus crisper image retention when zooming in/out and better shading.
                    [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Double Deuce View Post
                      With SP (IMO), the foundation is pretty much rock solid. What I think is needed is a complete rewriting of the code (not so much a redesign but a translation of the existing code into a new engine) so as to take advantage of the graphic capabilities of new machines. Basically more pixels and thus crisper image retention when zooming in/out and better shading.
                      Never going to happen sadly. The code will never be surrendered and as such, it will never progress out of the 90s.

                      I endure with Steel Panthers on my new machine running Windows 7 knowing full well hell will freeze over before I ever see an end to the mouse scroll surge problem that forces me to advance from unit to unit with the next unit function instead of just scrolling the map most of the time.

                      What we need is for someone to merely shamelessly clone the game. Look like Steel Panthers in every way, with the exception it isn't the original software.

                      Because it is plain as the day is long, we wargamers DO want a 2d look down, squad based, WW2 tactical wargame using turns that is the entire war any theatre and every nation depicted with their entire OOB available.
                      Otherwise no one would still be playing it.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I would want a remake of Empire Total War, it has potential. They just have to put more love and passion into it like the previous total wars, especially M2TW.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wargamer Scott View Post
                          True, but isn't Battlefield Academy a first step in that direction?
                          Battlefield Academy is so retarded though. It's nothing like SPWAW to me. it feels like playing a chess match with tanks and infantry and the ai is **** poor at that. Graphicswise BA is ok and would be a welcome format for a remake of SPWAW but everything else no please, bring back the real SPWAW and not this kid stuff of BA.

                          Because it is plain as the day is long, we wargamers DO want a 2d look down
                          Ummm no we wargamers want a 3D isometric view. I hate 2d top down look but I don't require a 3D zoom the map 100 different ways to see your units either. I do like I guess what is called a 3/4 view not top down and not full side view but 3/4 view. I want to see more detail of tanks and armored vehicles.
                          Last edited by Diablo1; 30 Dec 10, 06:29.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wilpanzer View Post
                            I would want a remake of Empire Total War, it has potential. They just have to put more love and passion into it like the previous total wars, especially M2TW.
                            I agree! Waiting for Shogun II...
                            A ME LE GUARDIE
                            "Di noi treṃ la nostra vecchia gloria. Tre secoli di fede e una vittoria". Gabriele D'Annunzio

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I would like to see a remake of Age of Rifles.
                              "I have never known a combat soldier who did not show a residue of war." --Sergeant Ed Stewart, 84th Division, US Army, WWII

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X