Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to Campaign series and Panzer General?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going back to Campaign series and Panzer General?

I never played the Panzer General games but I did have a lot of fun with West Front back in the day. How do these games stand up to the test of time? I've been with Combat Mission for quite a while but was thinking of trying Panzer General 2 and EFII for the heck of it.

I liked panzer general II but I was not good at it.I really liked the Defending the Reich scenario, which got me into alternate history. The music I really liked to though I wonder what the inspiration for the American and German sides were?
    How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
    275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

If you like the Campaign Series, have you seen the re release from Matrix Games?

PG II was alright. PGIII was NOT

There's a PG looking game at Matrix Games that is new called Operation Barbarossa. But it is a bit of a rough gem still. Needs more time cooking me thinks.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Hi Les why won't you link him to the "Panzer General Forever" thing you announced a few weeks ago?

I didn't like it, but then again I never played PG before, I'm sure it'll make Cerber0s' day.

While we're on it, Cerber0s- I don't know which Combat Mission title you played but if you hold your breath long enough you'll find out that there are two new titles that are about to be released- Normandy and Afghanistan, I think it'll be worth your while

Comment

Was not 100% sure of the interest, but this is the link.

http://panzercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45039

This offers a chance to play Panzer General and Allied General in Windows & without any weird software tricks required.

Simple process, the files are just placed on the hard drive and you run the executable. Man if they could just do the same for a few other old games I want to still play eh.

Comment

Some of the babble connected to Normandy has left me wondering about it.

I read a thread from a lot of the hard core fans that made it seem the Normandy title might be lacking where the engine is concerned. I won't have an opinion on it till AFTER it has been out a few months.

Comment

Pg2

PG2 is the most popular amongst the group of fans that still play. There are many many high quality campaigns released since the game's release. Look for "campaign challenges" to find some. Here is the PG2 forum. The guys there can get you setup etc:
              http://www.panzercentral.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=70

Comment

Actually I consider PG-1 the better game. I still play it. I did download the PGF game and it is alright. The PGF version is a little harder to cheat with.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

What about Close Combat? How does that compare to Combat Mission?

I'm just looking for a tactical wargame I can play singleplayer that's an actual challenge. CM's AI is a joke and I have a hard time finding opponents who want to play tcpip (I can't stand PBEM, and dragging battles out over weeks at a time).
                  Last edited by NoxNoctum; 21 Jun 10, 10:36.

Comment

Panzer General I used to be one of my fav games as a kid. I still play it. Problem is it takes a considerable amount of brainpower to play it, and that can drain me.

Never played PG2 though.
                    "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                    --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Pilsudski.

Try my Panzer General strategy, KILL THEM ALL! You will be amazed how little things take care of themselves.

Pruitt
                      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by NoxNoctum View Post

I'm just looking for a tactical wargame I can play singleplayer that's an actual challenge. CM's AI is a joke and I have a hard time finding opponents who want to play tcpip (I can't stand PBEM, and dragging battles out over weeks at a time).
                        Close Combat is like CM in that the games both have very strong player support. But in both cases the AIs are not the reason the games are still played.

For every truly great wargame, I can show you how it has had trouble with a brain dead AI. Take Steel Panthers for instance. I totally love that game. But the AI in Long Battle has the over all capacity of a 6 year old girl. Losing a game of Steel Panthers vs the AI should ideally be sufficiently embarassing that you should keep it to yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                          Pilsudski.

Try my Panzer General strategy, KILL THEM ALL! You will be amazed how little things take care of themselves.

Pruitt
                          I think I found the secret to finally winning the French campaign!
                          "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
                          --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Originally posted by NoxNoctum View Post

Close Combat's AI has evolved significantly, although it is still far from a challenge.

I don't know which Combat Mission you're talking about, but I find the CMSF&Marines AI to be very good.

Comment

Hey I got PGII warzone edition. Is there anyway to get the movies, the music and all the other stuff back one. I'm pissed about the prestige abuses being gone but honestly I don't deserve to have them, but the oterh stuff would be nice.
                              How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                              275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X