Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News for Combat Mission BB & AK VISTA Users

From Moon on the BF forum:

"We have something cooking for you guys having problems between broken Vista drivers and CMBB/CMAK that should hopefully be ready for release sometime this week."

See post #9 here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community...01#post1144501
    Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
    http://www.kampfgruppe.us

Patches now available for sale from Battlefront to fix CMAK and CMBB on Vista machines.

http://www.battlefront.com/

Alas, it doesn't fix Windows 7.
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

And word is that the new "pay $5 to have" patches are not compatible with (XP) versions 1.03 for H2H play.

Comment

Originally posted by KG_Jag View Post
        And word is that the new "pay $5 to have" patches are not compatible with (XP) versions 1.03 for H2H play.
        Pay for Patches?

Yeah a cold day in hell when I pay for a patch as a matter of rule, and even longer for Battlefront. I will acknowledge their past success, but the company has no champion in me. Their choice of DRM is already a product killer. But paying for a patch, yeah right.

I'd rather run the game in a Virtual Machine if I need to.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

CM Afrika Korps Vista upgrades!

Well, you know what they say. Good games don't die! Battlefront.com is proud to announce the immediate availability of a new v1.04 Vista upgrade for Combat Mission Afrika Korps. This upgrade officially adds support for Windows Vista. Special thanks to Philip Culliton for diving into our ancient code to figure out and fix the various issues introduced with Vista!

The Vista upgrade is not a free patch! It can be purchased for \$5 as download only from the Battlefront.com store!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=26

Players are recommended to try out the new upgrade first before purchasing! A free updated v1.04 demo is available as well from the Combat Mission Afrika Korps Demo page!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...d=50&Itemid=89
          Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Well, you know what they say. Good games don't die! Battlefront.com is proud to announce the immediate availability of a new v1.04 Vista upgrade for Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin. This upgrade officially adds support for Windows Vista. Special thanks to Philip Culliton for diving into our ancient code to figure out and fix the various issues introduced with Vista!

The Vista upgrade is not a free patch! It can be purchased for \$5 as download only from the Battlefront.com store!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=26

Players are recommended to try out the new upgrade first before purchasing! A free updated v1.04 demo is available as well from the Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin Demo page!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...d=57&Itemid=97
            Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Update--only the CMAK v1.04 will not play well with the old (XP) v1.03, and that is promised to be fixed.

But BEWARE--these patches add eLicense DRM to your games!

Comment

Update--only the CMAK v1.04 will not play well with the old (XP) v1.03, and that is promised to be fixed.

But BEWARE--these patches add eLicense DRM to your games!
                Oh wooooonderful another reason to be unimpressed with BF.

Their DRM blows too.

Comment

Disappointing overall.

They (aka their contractor) went through all the trouble of updating all code to compile in a new development environment, then dig out the video code that causes the Vista problems, hack that up and then go and QA the patches and go through the distribution blues - but they didn't touch anything that would be related and useful for more users. The most obvious item would have been to lift the stupid 1600x1200 resolution limit which is most likely a very simple statement in the code.

Comment

My 2 all time favorite games are Combat Mission and The Operational Art of War (TOAW). I consider myself a die-hard fan of both games, even going so far as to volunteer to run the TOAW community at Gamesquad years and years ago. I was also part of the early process to get TOAW opened back up so it could be improved by the community (later the TOAD group led by James and Ralph). I've been in tournaments, I've dabbled with scenarios, maps, and playtesting. I haven't been quite as active with Combat Mission on the back end, but I've played it for many years now and I'd consider myself a fanatic of the game system. I'm predisposed to love anything that happens to either of these games, if it adds value to the community of gamers...

As a comparison, Matrix Games provided the TOAW code to a team of community members so they could re-tweak and improve the code to solve a lot of the lingering problems the decade-old game had. Yes we were asked to pay for the new version, but I don't think anyone can deny the success both financially for Matrix and for the primary beneficiaries, the players. The new version was head and shoulders better than its predecessor. It also in my opinion bestowed a lot of street cred for Matrix Games.

On the other hand, Battlefront has released the code for CM to one person to fix one problem, and produce a salable item (duplicating it for both versions). I have no truck with Battlefront wanting to make money off this greybeard product, but this paid patch all but assures we won't see any future development of the CMx1 line because you can't keep asking the community to pony up more and more for a la cart fixes. They would be better served to admit this was a mistake, release the patches for free, and then think about a more comprehensive fix down the road. The model works, just ask Matrix Games.

What happens to Windows 7 users? A new patch for another 10 bucks?

I'd much rather have paid 30 bucks for Combat Mission Europe, which packaged all 3 games into one product, updated the things that are broken, made some improvements, get some scenarios created which pit Russians against western allies in 1945 and then sold as a complete game.

Just one old Grog's opinion.

Matrix 1
                    Battlefront 0
                    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

The proof of the pudding is in the taste.

BF, decides to use an offensive DRM strategy, that in my view is a -1

Matrix Games retools Gary Grigsby's World at War into the better Gary Grigsby's World at War A World Divided and offers a major discount to registered owners of the former release. That's a +1

Matrix Games retools numerous old titles most of us thought were as good as dead, that's a nice thing to be known for.

Matrix Games updates Steel Panthers through several versions. Shows they really listen to admittedly whiny wargamers. More than 8 versions of Steel Panthers World at War were released.

Matrix Games in recent time has made it a practice of offering for FREE, new releases of major reworked games including WW2 Road to Victory offered as WW2 Time of Wrath to registered owners of the former. That's definitely a +2

Just the other day it was announced that registered owners of War in the Pacific can get a 20 dollar savings off of the new Admirals Edition. That's a +1.

If you ask me Brian, the score is
                      Battlefront -1
                      Matrix Games +4 just on the basis of the few games I mentioned.

I don't like the process by which their forums are run, or I would likely post there. But it's fairly clear Matrix Games is far ahead in customer satisfaction from Battlefront.

If they don't start learning to treat their market better, I don't think it will matter much if Battlefront offers upgrades to future OSs as they might not be around.

Comment

In all the discussion about who releases patches for old game for how long, don't forget one thing:

many games did not break with Vista. In fact CMx1 only broke because it is based on DirectX 5 on Windows (a 1997 DX version). It was done in 2000 but people like John Carmack have been preaching OpenGL since 1996, and Carmack's games used to be all OpenGL, and worked. And still work IIRC. On Mac it was even worse since OpenGL was even more obviously the right choice compared to Apple little toy Rave which obviously was a misguided "not invented here" item on part of Apple.

So, if a game company has released a game in 2000 and does not release a patch in 2009, then ask "well, did it require a patch in 2009?". For many games, the answer is "no".

I can't stop being pissed at the certainly deliberate absence of even the most obvious limit-lifting (resolution) and bugs that actually were fixed in CMAK but somehow were still too difficult to apply to CMBB (fortifications).

Then, don't make it compatible with 1.03 and sell it to everybody. Not just the Vista (l)users who are a support nightmare in the first place.

I can only conclude that CMx1 is deliberately held down to not draw away consumers from CMSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                          I can only conclude that CMx1 is deliberately held down to not draw away consumers from CMSF.
                          And/or the upcoming CM x 2 game with the working title "Normandy".

Comment

And/or the upcoming CM x 2 game with the working title "Normandy".
                            That's what I mean.

But to be honest, if so that is sooo misguided.

I think if people fire up their old CMAKs and CMBBs in the summer of 2009 and find higher resolutions or the most important bugfixes they are more likely to be all fired up for the CMx2:Normandy release in the next winter. Much more.

The way this went everybody who wasn't stupid enough to become an exclusive Vista user feels insulted and has no incentive to get back into CM for now (unless they happen to like the modern setting, the weak Red forces and no FoW for foxholes).

And all this after going through all the trouble of getting a development environment for the old code set up (which according to BFC was the biggest piece of work for these patches) and then making sure to keep the scope of the changes outside anything that would be useful for the general CMx1 crowd. It's just plain and simple idiotic.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X