Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which game would you guys suggest for my 2009 'get my teeth into' game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europa Barborum

I have been playing this game forever. It is a mod for Rome Total War: but fixes the historical inaccuracies, and adds much more role playing element to it. I am currently doing a Roman campaign and am circa 90 bc in a titanci two front struggle against the Lusotanni and Pontic

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
      Two entirely different games really, but the more I play CotA the more I'm starting to see your point in regards to the AI. It does seem to be very over-hyped and the game is full of bugs. From my experience at least, still love it, but it does have its' downfalls.
      Bugs? Are you using the latest patch? That was released quite some time ago-a year or more. Although there may be a couple of oddities to the game, bugs are extremely rare-even unknown at this time. If you have found one you should report it in the CotA forum so it can be addressed. There are a few people that seem to have some sound problems, but that is apparently a very rare occurrence.

The tech page is at
      http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=282

The current patch is 3.4.151. That took care of a few real bugs from the initial release.

Regarding the ai; any ai will have some habits. In time it is possible to get the upper hand after you have figured it out. None the less, there are multiple scenarios that are extremely difficult to win at-with the historical setting. If you have ever won playing Spartans at the Pass scenario, please let me know how you did it-there are many that would like to see it. On the whole though, CotA, like any other game I have ever played is more of a challenge when playing against a human player.

I won't argue the fact that the best method of turn structure in a game is really what a player wants. There are apparently many that still prefer IGOUGO type games. For me and many others that just is not enjoyable anymore. It is like a board game-I played those for over twenty years before my first PC game and have had my fill. Something new and more realistic is what many prefer.

The discussion of time being important in a military game has been a hot one. Some don't seem to care, some others insist on it-again, its just a matter of taste. IMO if you want to get a good feel for a battlefield there is no point in playing a game that allows you to knock a hole in the enemies line, advance through it and surround units while the enemy just sits there. Such a situation has very little to do with the actual historical setting, so why do it? I think the real answer to that is that people get into habits-which sometimes are very addictive and hard to break. Having said that, I know that there are some that prefer that type of game for other reasons.

My only problem with CotA is the relatively few scenarios. There are a few dozen, but several of those are small. I have played the hell out of the game for three years, and have reached a point to where I need new scenarios to interest me -actually six months ago it went to the back burner-only online play now). I think CotA cost me 59 bucks-I feel that I got my moneys worth ion the hundreds of hours of play-even with the comparatively (with TAOW) small number of scenarios.

As I mentioned before, there are user made scenarios being worked on. Also, there is the new game of the Bulge battles being released soon-with improvements to the system. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm also looking forward to trying out TOAW 4-if it is ever done. I have bought and played 4 versions of that game (although the Original TOAW disk died years ago)-no point in stopping now. I at least have to try it-and just as importantly, to support its future development-it was the greatest for years and maybe it will be again. However, I will never play a scenario again where I need to click on a thousand units 5 times to get through one turn-those days are gone-for me and a growing numbers of others. A nice little scenario such as Crusader with some updated features would be nice-someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Varus View Post
        I have been playing this game forever. It is a mod for Rome Total War: but fixes the historical inaccuracies, and adds much more role playing element to it. I am currently doing a Roman campaign and am circa 90 bc in a titanci two front struggle against the Lusotanni and Pontic
        That's one game I was very close to trying. If I had known about the mods, I would have bought it. Some games, like HoI are just not that great without the modding community.

Comment

Originally posted by 06 Maestro View Post
          That's one game I was very close to trying. If I had known about the mods, I would have bought it. Some games, like HoI are just not that great without the modding community.
          Without the mods, its terrible. It is completely historically inaccurate, and the battles are unrealistic and easy (all troops rout within seconds). The mod fixes the accuracy immensely, and increases the defense of all troops, so you get a better game experience.

Comment

Originally posted by 06 Maestro View Post
            Bugs? Are you using the latest patch? That was released quite some time ago-a year or more. Although there may be a couple of oddities to the game, bugs are extremely rare-even unknown at this time. If you have found one you should report it in the CotA forum so it can be addressed. There are a few people that seem to have some sound problems, but that is apparently a very rare occurrence.

The tech page is at
            http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=282

The current patch is 3.4.151. That took care of a few real bugs from the initial release.

Regarding the ai; any ai will have some habits. In time it is possible to get the upper hand after you have figured it out. None the less, there are multiple scenarios that are extremely difficult to win at-with the historical setting. If you have ever won playing Spartans at the Pass scenario, please let me know how you did it-there are many that would like to see it. On the whole though, CotA, like any other game I have ever played is more of a challenge when playing against a human player.

I won't argue the fact that the best method of turn structure in a game is really what a player wants. There are apparently many that still prefer IGOUGO type games. For me and many others that just is not enjoyable anymore. It is like a board game-I played those for over twenty years before my first PC game and have had my fill. Something new and more realistic is what many prefer.

The discussion of time being important in a military game has been a hot one. Some don't seem to care, some others insist on it-again, its just a matter of taste. IMO if you want to get a good feel for a battlefield there is no point in playing a game that allows you to knock a hole in the enemies line, advance through it and surround units while the enemy just sits there. Such a situation has very little to do with the actual historical setting, so why do it? I think the real answer to that is that people get into habits-which sometimes are very addictive and hard to break. Having said that, I know that there are some that prefer that type of game for other reasons.

My only problem with CotA is the relatively few scenarios. There are a few dozen, but several of those are small. I have played the hell out of the game for three years, and have reached a point to where I need new scenarios to interest me -actually six months ago it went to the back burner-only online play now). I think CotA cost me 59 bucks-I feel that I got my moneys worth ion the hundreds of hours of play-even with the comparatively (with TAOW) small number of scenarios.

As I mentioned before, there are user made scenarios being worked on. Also, there is the new game of the Bulge battles being released soon-with improvements to the system. I'm looking forward to that.

I'm also looking forward to trying out TOAW 4-if it is ever done. I have bought and played 4 versions of that game (although the Original TOAW disk died years ago)-no point in stopping now. I at least have to try it-and just as importantly, to support its future development-it was the greatest for years and maybe it will be again. However, I will never play a scenario again where I need to click on a thousand units 5 times to get through one turn-those days are gone-for me and a growing numbers of others. A nice little scenario such as Crusader with some updated features would be nice-someday.
            Count me as one of the rare few with sound problems with the latest patch. Pre-patch I noticed some issues with the pathfinding/route choice. In one situation I was trying to get around enemy defenses that I encountered, so I disengaged my Panzer units and moved them to a safe location for regrouping. I then ordered them to a way point that was away from the enemy they just encoutered and I set their route for avoidance. Instead of taking the trails that were directly near them, they instead took a route on the main road that had them trying to fight through the defenses that we just pulled back from. With avoidance set there's no way they should have taken that route, and of course with the order delays on there's usually no turning back once they get going.

But, like I said that was pre-patch so maybe those sort of issues have been ironed out since.

As far as the enemy AI goes I think it's pretty good, don't get me wrong. But, I was expecting it to be a little more crafty than what it is. The AI is smart, but it doesn't seem to try to out-smart you if that makes any sense. I believe the game is tough moreso because of the realistic values of the game than how the AI behaves. But, let me also make clear that I don't have a lot of play time under my belt with this game just yet, so it's very possible that my opinion could change for the better. Especially if I can get this patch to work right.
            Last edited by TactiKill J.; 12 Jul 09, 14:50.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
              Theatre of War is unmitigated crap. You can do better with nearly anything.

Steel fury-Kharkov couldn't have worse game controls if they tried intentionally to make them lousy.

I would suggest you pick a good game, and forget whether your computer actually needs to even use a fraction of it's performance potential.

If you want "fun" Company of Heroes is plenty fun. Just forget whining about the realism eh, it was never meant to be anything other than what it is.

If you want turn based and you want something outside of the done to death, Strategic Command Pacific is at least not more of the same, as the Pacific is hardly done to death, and unlike War in the Pacific, you're not being condemned to play a game you won't be finishing in 2009

The only game I have any interest in seeing how it turns out, is Battles from the Bulge from Panther Games over at Matrix Games.
              I just downloaded the demo for TOW2 and it actually seems pretty decent. Anyone have the full version?
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Tow2

A review (was it at wargamer?) said TOW2 was much better and rewarded realsitic tactics. The one critique which was a problem in first one apparently was that infantry still have a very hard time (they get picked off very easily by tanks if they just poke their heads up). I recall the TOW1 had a mod to address this though...

Comment

Advanced Tactics is the spiritual successor to TOAW and should not be missed.

Hearts of Iron is garbage IMO

Surf around and read the reviews on Advanced Tactics and see how much replay and enjoyment you can get out of it, much like TOAW 3

Comment

Advanced Tactics?

Where? When? Link? Ping?

Comment

Originally posted by Redwolf View Post
                      Advanced Tactics?

Where? When? Link? Ping?
                      I believe they are referring to this one: Advanced Tactics: World War II
                      [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

Hmmm, IGYG, eh?

I was hoping somebody would make a decent WEGO TOAW clone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X