Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which game would you guys suggest for my 2009 'get my teeth into' game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which game would you guys suggest for my 2009 'get my teeth into' game?

Hi. I'm a crusty old Avalon Hill school guy, who now mainly stays with TOAW-III.

I did love panzergeneral back in the day, and steel panthers, and close combat, and now I sometime still play Combat Mission Africa Korps (I cant seem to really get into the 'modern syria' Combat Mission for some reason)...

Anyway, I got a new pc, with a moster graphics card (well maybe not monster but the Nvidia GeForce 9800GT isnt bad either is it)?

So, please feel free to enlighten me! I love a simple interface in a potentially rather complex game. But some game interfaces just have thrown me off (there was this series 'great battles, Italy and Normandy I think, a couple of years back, and the screenshots looked like they were juicy decent 'I go you go' strategy games, but when I got them, I feeled like I was playing a 'fake strategy' game on the Commondore 64!

So, even if it's something that is classified in another category but just is fun to play 'Loved Baldurs gate for a fiew days when it came out, but lost interest after a while'... Also I really loved Total War's first game, Shogun. But Medieval just didnt do it for me, and Rome I find a bit better but both of them arent as good as Shogun was imho...

I rounded up these games as potentially interesting, but I really am not in the know of what would be a good game for me, so here are my candidates, please give any info if you have tried them, or if you know of another game that you recon cuts the mustard. Anyway, me list: A hard choise....
    of the new wargames on the market now, I have isolated these three...
    They are as follows: 1, wold warl one. A grand strategy style game...
    2, Theater of War. The newbie from the makers of
    Sturmovik and Combat Mission (nuff said)!
    4,Steel fury-Kharkov. Aquality ww2 battlegame.
    5.1701, a pirates and plantasions game out in the caribbean, with wooden
    ships! Ahoi!

Please share your views on the new games on the block.

Waiting eagerly,,, MrPoundr...
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

As for grand strategy; Hearts of Iron 2: Armageddon is a great game with alot of replayability. Once you are bored with the vanilla version, there are many user mods out there that make the game even better.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by freightshaker View Post
      As for grand strategy; Hearts of Iron 2: Armageddon is a great game with alot of replayability. Once you are bored with the vanilla version, there are many user mods out there that make the game even better.
      He said simple interface. In my opinion the Hearts of Iron games (and anything by Paradox!) are way too complicated and the most annoying of micro-managing games.

You may enjoy the new Total War game schedule to come out in March.

Empire: Total War
      http://www.sega.com/empire/

This looks awesome!
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Theatre of War is unmitigated crap. You can do better with nearly anything.

Steel fury-Kharkov couldn't have worse game controls if they tried intentionally to make them lousy.

I would suggest you pick a good game, and forget whether your computer actually needs to even use a fraction of it's performance potential.

If you want "fun" Company of Heroes is plenty fun. Just forget whining about the realism eh, it was never meant to be anything other than what it is.

If you want turn based and you want something outside of the done to death, Strategic Command Pacific is at least not more of the same, as the Pacific is hardly done to death, and unlike War in the Pacific, you're not being condemned to play a game you won't be finishing in 2009

The only game I have any interest in seeing how it turns out, is Battles from the Bulge from Panther Games over at Matrix Games.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
          He said simple interface. In my opinion the Hearts of Iron games (and anything by Paradox!) are way too complicated and the most annoying of micro-managing games.

You may enjoy the new Total War game schedule to come out in March.

Empire: Total War
          http://www.sega.com/empire/

This looks awesome!
          Hmm, I found the 'early rifle-late musket' era most interesting, tell me do they have man'o'war fighting as well, or is it all on land? Also, what are we to expect from the early spring releace??? Impressive.... ObiWan has taught you well...

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by 17poundr View Post
            Hmm, I found the 'early rifle-late musket' era most interesting, tell me do they have man'o'war fighting as well, or is it all on land? Also, what are we to expect from the early spring releace??? Impressive.... ObiWan has taught you well...
            I think the Naval Warfare is going to be the best thing about this game!

They are really promoting it in ads for the release. (March 9th?)

Frigates for sure. Even razees. Not sure about Ships of the Line.
            History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
            _________
            BoRG

Comment

Yes, that total war with the men in lines (tossing the coin to see which side shoots first)? Kind of action done well is certainly a treat not to be missed!

Also, if indeed like our French/Canadiense friend suggested, if the evolved version of the pacific grand operational game has become more 'to having a point to it all', then it too is something that might give me joy for years...

What say you of this new one from the famous Combat Mission lot, it's from their 'modern forces', pool and this time it's having the british forces highlighted... helmand it aint,but still... http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...217&Itemid=327

Hmm?

Mr Poundr.

Comment

It looks interesting (thanks for the link), but I bought a Combat Mission game before and I am not into the Micro-Managing that usually goes with their games. Too much like work. I just want to play God.
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                  It looks interesting (thanks for the link), but I bought a Combat Mission game before and I am not into the Micro-Managing that usually goes with their games. Too much like work. I just want to play God.
                  Yes, I too get 'battle fatigue', from these games, still if a Campaign enviroment is created, so a tie is formed into your units, it can give one heart palpatations...

I must say that www.battlefront.com is starting to look like a powerhouse of good games though... Even if I DO WANT THE MUSKET 'N' RIFLE ERA TOTAL WAR!!!

Check these out and see what you think:http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=26

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...157&Itemid=215
                  After that one link, then just cruise through the various stuff offered at battlefront.com

poundr.
                  Last edited by 17poundr; 14 Jan 09, 23:56.

Comment

Every once in a while a person needs to correct over enthusiastic fans.

'Powerhouse' is not a word I would apply to Battlefront. '1 Trick pony' maybe, but not powerhouse.

Battlefront aside from Strategic Command (which it seems no one wants to offer them accolades for), hasn't done a 'great' game of obvious renown since Combat Mission 1,2 3.

I've played Theatre of War, and it isn't a game worthy of having even when free.

You want an example of 'powerhouse', go to Matrix Games, and enter their forum section and then scroll down the list of games they publish. The first thing you will notice, is how long it will take to count them all.

I will admit I am no fan of Battlefront. But I don't need to defend my 1 trick pony comment either. As great as Combat Mission is, 1 game doesn't a powerhouse make.

Now if you want to check out what I think is a great game, but seems largely invisible, try Advanced Tactics. No recent game deserves 'more' mention than this one. And it doesn't have shiny nifty 3d graphics, nor is it mired automatically in recreating history poorly. It's just a very good game.

Comment

Hi. I'm a crusty old Avalon Hill school guy, who now mainly stays with TOAW-III.

I did love panzergeneral back in the day, and steel panthers, and close combat, and now I sometime still play Combat Mission Africa Korps (I cant seem to really get into the 'modern syria' Combat Mission for some reason)...

Please share your views on the new games on the block.

Waiting eagerly,,, MrPoundr...
                      I am an old crust also and there are many new games on the market but the best bang for your buck other than TOAOW 3 is a game that is only $20! If you have been around for awhile you will remember Romamce of the Three Kingdoms 1. I loved that game and kept an old DOS system running till it gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.
                      My friend of some 40 yrs. now put me onto the 11th. version called ROTK XI and for those who live in Europe or the farr east a CD boxed version with manual can be had. For us in the USA a download version is at www.koei.com from two different sites. I strongly suggest you use direct2drive for the download.
                      They have a demo but it does not show the potential of the game. You should take a look at it.

Madgamer

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                        Every once in a while a person needs to correct over enthusiastic fans.

'Powerhouse' is not a word I would apply to Battlefront. '1 Trick pony' maybe, but not powerhouse.

Battlefront aside from Strategic Command (which it seems no one wants to offer them accolades for), hasn't done a 'great' game of obvious renown since Combat Mission 1,2 3.

I've played Theatre of War, and it isn't a game worthy of having even when free.

You want an example of 'powerhouse', go to Matrix Games, and enter their forum section and then scroll down the list of games they publish. The first thing you will notice, is how long it will take to count them all.

I will admit I am no fan of Battlefront. But I don't need to defend my 1 trick pony comment either. As great as Combat Mission is, 1 game doesn't a powerhouse make.

Now if you want to check out what I think is a great game, but seems largely invisible, try Advanced Tactics. No recent game deserves 'more' mention than this one. And it doesn't have shiny nifty 3d graphics, nor is it mired automatically in recreating history poorly. It's just a very good game.
                        Indeed, indeed! My eye had also falle on 'Advanced Tactics', and I would have purchased it already had I not accidentally got myself a christmas present from a relative giving me a game called: "World in conflict", this is a visually strong game, that is a kind of 3d'ish realtime version of a simplified Combat Mission that takes place in the modern time... Not bad, I have enjoyed a fiew evenings of gaming...

But aside of Adv Tactics, I wonder if there is a game that envolves unit building, and technology, but unlicke the new to come Total War (men 'o' war, and pirates, and birth of America era, that I already am going to try), this would be anchored in 20th century warfare...

I really would like to try to pull off somethign with the nazi's with forgetting the 'super weapons, and mass producing Hetzers and Focke Wulf's for example'... Or 'getting real with speeding up the British armour and ending up with Comets a mass produced in early 44...

Any game like this out there???

Mr Poundr...

ps,

AND WHAT IS THAT GAME THAT MIMICS MODERN NATO TACTICAL WARGAMING THAT IS TAUGHT TO CADETS ECT??? I found it, what do u think??? http://www.battlefront.com/index.php...115&Itemid=165
                        Last edited by 17poundr; 21 Jan 09, 06:50.

Comment

TacOps is so realistic it's boring hehe.

If you actually want to get a feel for modern warfare it's a good option. But don't get it thinking it is mostly fun. It's mostly thinking.

If you haven't played it, and want a game that is about speed of thought (real time angle) and uses your new shiny computer well (ie better have a good graphics card), but is actually fun (ie not mired in the word 'realism'), and can even grab the interest of a stick in the mud grognard (I qualify there ), then consider Company of Heroes (they have a new expansion due).

Yeah the game looks arcady (isn't a crime, it's just a facet of a design), clearly won't be mistaken for a competitor for something like Tac Ops. But it has a great interface (try saying that about most games eh) and is actually easy to learn and easy to play (again, try saying that about most).

The key to a game being great, is it must be able to interest people you would think would hate it normally.

Comment

I really would like to try to pull off somethign with the nazi's with forgetting the 'super weapons, and mass producing Hetzers and Focke Wulf's for example'... Or 'getting real with speeding up the British armour and ending up with Comets a mass produced in early 44...

Any game like this out there???

Mr Poundr...
                            That is Hearts of Iron II, Hearts of Iron III will be coming out this year.

Comment

A pleasant game on the Napoleonic period is the waterloo series, of the HPS. It has a weak AI but playing in pbem is fun. It remembers the marshall's seires game of the gdw. If you have a lot of time, patience and a strong diplomatic capability, Empire in Arms, of Matrix: weak AI too but fun diplo in pbem. Harpoon, if you like air-naval.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X