Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressors: Ancient Rome

Recently bought this game and I'm having a good time playing it.
    I skipped the tutorial completely and just dived in without a problem.

One thing I wish someone would have told me from the start though is to uncheck two crucial boxes in the game options menu: invention tree hidden and invention tree mixed.
    Without these unchecked you'll have a very hard time figuring out how to progress toward researching triremes, while Carthage and the Ptolemaic Empire will get them and kick your behind in sea battles. Which will cause you big headaches if you go into any overseas adventures (your armies will starve and defect if you lose your naval presence close to the coast).

It looks like a clone of Total War: Rome. Are you familiar with that game?
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Hmm, I just won my first campaign on that game.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        It looks like a clone of Total War: Rome. Are you familiar with that game?
        Probably, that's what led me to this game.
        I didn't like TW at the time because of the family factions and civil war thing, so I didn't play more than a few games many years ago.
        Recently I thought about it and wanted to buy Total War 2 to give it another try, but I read the reviews about it on Steam and there seems to be a spyware controversy surrounding the game.
        So I picked this one instead.
        There are some differences though. If you're a big TW fan/player you should check some gameplay videos and decide if it's worth it.

Edit: Returning to Aggressors:AR, it seems the moderate difficulty setting is kind of easy (at least for me). The challenge at this difficulty level is in managing an expanding empire and dealing with multiple enemies/events, but the enemy AI is not a big challenge. You don't lose many battles (although that could also be because I upgrade most of my units).

I've played one game for the past days and it's been relatively unopposed expansion. With no sea control I focused on the Balkans and managed to get them under control, gaining a lot of resources. Then formed federations and confederations in Anatolia. And turned against Carthage and the Ptolemaic Empire only after I finally got a fleet of triremes built. But crucial in this was that even though I had some wars with Carthage and the Ptolemaic Empire they didn't land in Italy. Next game I'll try a different difficulty setting and see what happens if the AI is strategically more aggressive.
        Last edited by Imperial; 12 Sep 18, 05:45.

Comment

I've been eyeing this one, I thought it was more like Civs though?
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
            I've been eyeing this one, I thought it was more like Civs though?
            Not quite. The research tree is very basic, and you can't out-research the timeline in which the game is set. So no progression to more advanced technologies, and the forms of government go up only to Empire.

The army units can be upgraded with all kinds of skills that become available as you do research, but to upgrade one unit takes one turn, and the city in which you upgrade it is unavailable for other tasks once you order the upgrade. So you constantly have to choose between building more units, making your existing units more advanced, and upgrading your cities. Serious campaigns will need careful planning.

Once I invaded Carthage I started losing units but I had a very large army and economy at that point so it didn't hurt much. Nevertheless it's a facepalm moment when you lose a fully-upgraded unit, because you put a lot of turns into it.

Attacking large cities with newb units isn't a good idea. I prefer besieging them.

It took a week or so (of several hours of gameplay per evening) to destroy the Ptolemaic Empire and Carthage. But I prepared my invasions carefully, didn't rush. I won the game on other victory conditions earlier than that, but chose to continue. Now there are only my confederates left and I'll propose annexation agreements. And invade those who refuse. Then try a harder difficulty setting because this was ok for the first game I guess, but not a big challenge. I had to plan and manage, but I didn't feel threatened by the AI.

Comment

Working...
            X