Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PzKfwBob
    replied
    I like both as well but have settled on winSPWWII and MBT because allow me to play large BN plus games without crashing somewhere in the campaign. For smaller campaigns SPWAW is fine. I still have in loaded up. Another plus is the win version doesn't reguire any tweeking to get it to run.

Other than that, most of what Paul Maud'dib has said rings true and can't add much more.

As for Vista, I believe those issues have been solved.

Leave a comment:

• Pit
    replied
    Well let me ask this then...

Is there a way to get SP to work on Vista 64-bit systems??

I have been playing SP and SPWAW for many years now... but I can do so on my 'puter that is 6 years old...

Leave a comment:

• Cmde.Slavyanski
    replied
    The only problem is the AI sometimes. For example, maps can take forever because some German rifle squads will proceed to fire all their weapons(with no anti-tank weapons) at a T-34 from a distance of 300 meters sometimes.

Also machine guns ought to cause more casualties, particularly when being used on infantry on open ground. This can usually be rectified by upping the experience of MG teams.

Leave a comment:

• LRB
    replied
    Graphics and sounds rarely cuts a game any slack in 3d, and anyone that wants to play Steel Panthers likely can't be bought with "prettier pictures" and niftier "sounds".

That all said, the cost of the imagery and sounds is that WaW has a fully installed footprint of twice the size of SPWW2.

Leave a comment:

• Boonierat
    replied
    SPWaW also has slightly better graphics and much better sounds.

Leave a comment:

• LRB
    replied
    I only like WaW for the Megas. I like MBT for the modern stuff.

I don't mind playing all of them.

Leave a comment:

• LRB
    replied
    Way back, one group had a drive to update the game. It was Steel Panthers (nothing after the name).

but a difference of opinion led to it becoming Steel Panthers World War 2 and Steel Panthers World at War.

The former uses the original software of Steel Panthers, while WaW went on to evolve out of the program code for Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat.

So at the guts level, while both have the same initial part name, and the same initial objective that being squad level WW2 combat, they went totally differing routes.

Comparing the two is not to easy. One is milk chocolate, the other is dark chocolate. But if you've eaten both, you know they are not really the same.

WaW has an edge in that it also has the 4 Mega Campaigns made for it, and they are incredible gaming experiences. But, the core of the other, is in a lot of ways considered better. And apparently the SPWW2 version is compatible with all the earlier scenario creations.

Meanwhile, the WaW version has a massive amount of scenario creations that are a total jumbled mess of compatibility issues. There is also the major independent creation of H2H mod, and the Depots Enhanced mod to consider. And even it has too many tinkered with versions.

It's not unfair for a newcomer to take one look at the mangled mess of clarity that is WaW and just say screw it, the SPWW2 version doesn't appear to have such a confusing muddled disjointed incoherent miasma of version identity.

For a while, the only downside to the SPWW2 and also their SPMBT was their dislike of Windows. But that has been seen to now.

I would have to say to a current SPWW2 player, that unless you just had to play a Mega Campaign, I just don't have a good reason for you to care about WaW.
    Last edited by LRB; 18 Mar 08, 22:28.

Leave a comment:

• Brummbar33
    started a topic SPWW2 vs. SPWaW

SPWW2 vs. SPWaW

I have played SPWW2 but have never played SPWaW. Can anyone that has played both tell me what is different between the two.

I'd also like to know which one you prefer playing and why.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X