The New HPS Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New HPS Games

Two new games have recently come out from HPS. One is The Mexican-American War of 1846 and Campaign Antietam. Both have the potential of some EXCELLANT game play. Read the synopsis of the Mexican War one and it has the campaign of the Texas Revolution. I shall judge it with a VERY harsh eye. Hopefully I wont be disapointed.
    A good woodchipper solves a lot of problems. All hail Doctor Sinister

I suppose the game about the Mexican-American War uses the same sytem as HPS's Civil War series?

Comment

I think so. But for a sit down game, it aint all that bad. I mean the general Civil War series.

Comment

Is Point of Attack 2 good? Looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
          I suppose the game about the Mexican-American War uses the same sytem as HPS's Civil War series?
          No, it's the Early American engine. First update for that engine in quite some time, I believe.
          "I am not an atomic playboy."
          Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Yah. Last game was War Of 1812. That was about 5yrs ago more or less. I like the Early American version better. Smaller units and easier to manage.

Comment

New, improved 3D unit models

By the looks of things, the Mexican-American War title appears to have much improved 3D unit models. The Antietam title, alas, appears still to have the old sub-par "toy soldiers" look. I know that modders have fixed this issue (for me, for my personal tastes, Your Mileage May Vary), but--sigh--when will HPS ever do, or offer as an option, an official makeover of their ACW 3D unit models?
              Last edited by berto; 10 Mar 08, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by berto View Post
                By the looks of things, the Mexican-American War title appears to have much improved 3D unit models. The Antietam title, alas, appears still to have the old sub-par "toy soldiers" look. I know that modders have fixed this issue (for me, for my personal tastes, Your Mileage May Vary), but--sigh--when will HPS ever do, or offer as an option, an official makeover of their ACW 3D unit models?
                I don't think anytime soon. According to some of the designers on another site, I think HPS doesn't really feel it's worth the designers' time to re-work the game art. There are a couple reasons -- first, because they know that serious wargamers likely aren't as concerned with graphics as they are with historical accuracy and gameplay; second, because there is a pretty decent modding community out there already that does some great work.

(Check out Volcano Man Mods if you haven't.)

Comment

Ah, but I am a "serious" wargamer for the past 45+ years, and historical accuracy for me is paramount. I simply want to have my cake and eat it, too.

And it's not as if the designers/developers need to do much, if any, work. They can simply "officialize" some of the best mods, much like AGEOD "officializes" the best efforts of their AACW player/modder community. My guess is that this would cost HPS next to nothing, since the modders would likely be honored to have their work "officialized" in this way.

Anyway, I do use some of the modded 3D unit models available for the other HPS Civil War titles, so good enough, I guess.
                  Last edited by berto; 10 Mar 08, 13:52.

Comment

Put my order in for for Antietam as well as the Mexican American War. Looking foward to them both...

Comment

Originally posted by sunoco View Post
                      Is Point of Attack 2 good? Looks interesting.

Bump

Comment

Antietam is good, though there are some interesting differences between the TS version and the HPS version that was quite fascinating.

Comment

Bump
                          Still awaiting any feedback.

Comment

Still awaiting any feedback.
                            I'm guessing that means that nobody here has an answer for you.

You might want to try asking at the wargamer.com forums (they have an HPS section) or GameSquad: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X