Looking For An Alternative To Hearts Of Iron II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For An Alternative To Hearts Of Iron II

Hi, i am looking for recommendations for a World War 2, turn based game, that covers the entire war, and if possible the years of the aftermath and Cold War. Something like Hearts Of Iron II where you could take control of any nations. Something very detailed would be great.

Or is there any World War 2 turn based game that are based on the famous generals or commanders?

Thanks a lot.

You might wanna try Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=330

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
      You might wanna try Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=330

Thanks for the quick reply. Is this game an add-on/expansion pack or standalone game?

Comment

Stand alone, its the improved version of Gary Grigsby's World at War.

Comment

You can also check Strategic Command 2 by Battlefront:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            You can also check Strategic Command 2 by Battlefront:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/sc2/

Is Strategic Command 2 restricted by only the campaigns featured inside (not mentioning the scenario editor where you could create something new), or more of an open ended thing where the game just starts at a certain year that you have chosen and for example, in 1944, you can decide as Allied troops whether to execute the D-Day landings?

Comment

Are there any games that actually put you in the role of any general in he World War II?

Comment

I was reading up on the game Commander - Europe At War. How does it compare to Hearts Of Iron II?

Can Hearts Of Iron II be considered a realistic simulation or not?

Sorry for so many "blur" queries.

Comment

Not sure I'm the best the answer your question Zhil, I haven't played any of these games, Grand Stategy has never been my cup of tea, I have more the mentality of a battalion commander
                  Last edited by Boonierat; 04 Mar 08, 01:32.

Comment

SC2 and Commander are both Europe only designs.

If you want fully global, you want GGWaW AWD like mentioned above.

If you want a different twist, Making History might interest you. But it too is only European war.

"Can Hearts Of Iron II be considered a realistic simulation or not?"

Oh god it's too hard to hold it in .....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha realistic, ya right

You might call it fun, but realistic, not likely. Not that the above titles are paragons of realism in every fashion too.

Of the above, I think that Commander Europe at War, is the one that looks the most like a genuine wargame though. The rest depart from conventional old school wargames in varying amounts.

If you are looking for a decent way to have maximum "fun" though, Company of Heroes, Axis and Allies RTS and Panzer Elite Action are all very high levels of "fun". They're all real time tactical though.

I find a person either wants all old school board game looking, and for that, maybe you should try The Operational Art of War 3 (Matrix Games), or they want all new age real time 3d graphics. And for that CoH is actually very good at what it does.

Oh by the way, I have all of the above games.
                    Last edited by LRB; 04 Mar 08, 08:26.
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Thank you Paul Maud'dib and Boonierat for helping me out over here.

In what ways is Commander Europe At War realistic? Cos i read some reviews on the game being relatively free of too much details and more on the surface and enjoyale to the casual wargamers.

Are there any games that actually plays like the older versions of Koei's Romance of the three kingdoms where generals are given stats and they are the main characters in the war and you being the ruler uses them in the battles.. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhiliang2929 View Post
                        Are there any games that actually plays like the older versions of Koei's Romance of the three kingdoms where generals are given stats and they are the main characters in the war and you being the ruler uses them in the battles.. ?
                        None that I can think of when it come to WW2.

Comment

In almost any grand strategy design, there is a mix of accuracy and concession to playability that is hard to resolve some times.

I think over all, Commander is better than SC2. But SC2 is just not my thing, and I hate tiles over hexes

In Commander, you CAN represent the functions of leaders. You can do this also with SC2 as well. They are usually units that if you avoid producing them, it greatly reduces the fighting prowess of your units. So a lot of leaderless units can be really beat up by a few well led ones. And that is as it should be in any game.

Every game has mechanics in the design that will thrill some, and annoy others.

In SC and SC2, the sub counters are worthless and simulate nothing.
                          In Commander, the subs are also counters, but the logistics simulation is totally different. They are not quite as useless.
                          Still, I would have preferred an "off map" abstracted influence on the war at sea so that the subs weren't just whack a mole speed bumps (like they sure are in SC2).

A MAJOR factor in SC2 and Commander, is the one unit in a location regardless of real life, aspect of both designs. Until someone makes a modern grand strategy game that permits stacking in a heck, wargamers will still consider playing Advanced Third Reich or World in Flames the only intelligent way to play WW2 grand strategy.

Matrix Games is working on a computer World in Flames. Due out at years end, I suspect that might mean arrives sometime in 2009
                          If the game plays solo minus need for an AI, and isn't too bad, it will totally trash the competition though.

If you have no experience with World in Flames, I suggest spending an afternoon reading the relevant forum for it at Matrix Games.
                          Life is change. Built models for decades.
                          Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                          I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Regarding Gary Grisby’s World at War – a World Divided.

I had no idea that you could display the counters in that fashion. The miniatures used in the screen shots to promote the game are a real turn-off.

Can I see more screen shots in that style at various zoom levels?

-

Comment

You can find more screenies here:
                              http://www.matrixgames.com/games/screens.asp?gid=330

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X