I would like to play something like Panzer General

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to play something like Panzer General

I miss my old Panzer General games. Is there anything new that features a similar design philosophy?

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I'm assuming you want vaguely similar in look.

Have you tried Strategic Command? It's closer to grand strategy than PG is, but it also has the nice easy to use interface like PG. I am not as happy with SC2 though.

Commander Europe at War is also grand strategy, but also a nice design. A bit more complex than SC though. And Slitherine just released Commander Napoleon at War (same game engine). So you can get away from WW2 if you wish.

But in a lot of cases, a lot of hex based, turn using operational wargames are a tad far off from the elegant simplicity of PG.

If you want to just jump into hex based turn using operational, and get a one purchase gives you years of games TOAW3 from Matrix Games is hard to beat.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

I've played People's Tactics, and it strikes me as similar to PG:

http://www.peoplestactics.com/

A lot of people like Advanced Tactics, which is kind of the sequel or an enhanced version of People's Tactics.

Also could take a look at Fields of Strategy:

http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/

Edit: Oooh, forgot about LGeneral (effectively a free/open source PG clone):

http://lgames.sourceforge.net/index....oject=LGeneral
      "I am not an atomic playboy."
      Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Dang I knew I was missing something.

I re iterate, Advanced Tactics is likely the best choice.

Simple, while being complete.

Comment

If panzer general took your fancy, then go for TOAW III !!!

Get it, start with the easy rules, and then go onto the advanced rules. This will keep you happy for a long, time and has a very intuitive gaming interface like panzer general, but introduces a very much better sence of supply, air forces, and other things that were not in panzer general... Go for it!
          "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Actually, here's another oldie -- Wargame Construction Set 2: Tanks!

This is an earlier title by Norm Koger (before he did TOAW)... so gameplay is similar, I think.
            "I am not an atomic playboy."
            Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

Comment

Originally posted by mirrorshades View Post
              Actually, here's another oldie -- Wargame Construction Set 2: Tanks!

This is an earlier title by Norm Koger (before he did TOAW)... so gameplay is similar, I think.
              Yes that is one of my few favs of the old looking stuff.
              And it plays on XP too.
              Always made me think if Panzer Leader (board game) come to life as a computer game.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                Yes that is one of my few favs of the old looking stuff.
                And it plays on XP too.
                Always made me think if Panzer Leader (board game) come to life as a computer game.
                Well, there is the game series called Combat Mission with it's second third and fourth editions being especially interesting, it's kind of turn based, you get to give orders like in Avalon Hills Squad Leader, (which was a smaller unit scale sister game of Panzer leader I belive), this means that you give 'mini turn based orders', for one minutes worth of combat, the opponent gives theris, and then it's played out.

But as you have the pc to help you, you can very easily 'get into the shoes' of the men you are commanding, by actually going to the viewpoint of the men in the field, or tanks themselves, and look at what they are looking at!

And, it's not stepped, the viewpoint is totally fluid, like in the Total war games, Shogun, Medieval, Rome...

I would start with Combat Mission 2 (Eastern front ww2), then CM 3 (Africa Corps), and get familiar, because CM 4, goes another level, it's modern war, with US versus a 'what if?', Syrian opponent, in a city fighting oriented combat that mirrours much of the recent fights in Iraq... But this game can go into full realtime, which ofcourse needs lot's of turn based gaming to get familiar with the troops with...

You can actually order Combat Mission 2 and 3 in the same box from Matrix games, here are the main links, just follow the second one about the Africa korps and you will be playing very good stuff very fast!

And for the larger scale... I still say TOAW!

http://www.google.fi/search?source=i...gle-haku&meta=
                Last edited by 17poundr; 01 Mar 08, 11:32.

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I could also easily recommend Panzer Tactics for the DS;

Go here; Panzer Tactics information

I have played it.. and it is good fun.

Another good option that is still available ..

Go here for Panzer General 2

Very good game even for its age.
                  Christopher Dean
                  Director of Operations
                  NWS ONLINE COMBAT GAMING STORE
                  Land, air, sea, and space/fantasy combat!
                  http://www.nws-online.net
                  NAVAL WARFARE SIMULATIONS
                  http://www.navalwarfare.net

Comment

Only downside with Combat Mission, and whether anyone likes to accept it or not, not all of wargaming has a spastic need to render every last &%$#@ wargame in over rated 3d.

Steel Panthers (regardless of who or what was involved with the desire to realize Squad Leader on computer), will always look MORE like Squad Leader on a computer.

But squad level tactical and Panzer General have nearly nothing in common besides both being WW2 computer wargames.

Wargame Construction Set 2 Tanks, the analogy of Panzer Leader is an approximation mainly. The scale of action is close, the settings are not solely WW2 as well.

Campaign series also has a scale between Squad Leader and Panzer Leader.

But for actual look, the Nintendo DS platform's Panzer Tactics is really the only game yet marketed that actually looks like Panzer General enough to matter.
                    Advance Wars, while not as serious looking, is also fairly close.
                    The fact you need to own a Nintendo DS is of course a limitation.
                    But then again, how many times have we had to shell out 1-200 bucks in computer parts just so we could play the latest uber wargame?

I had my DS a full year before Panzer Tactics arrived. Granted, Panzer Tactics was suuuuposed to be out a month before I bought my DS too (darn unreliable wargame release dates ).

Comment

You can get a DS for around $100-$125. In the end, there are some good games out there for it including Chessmaster, Panzer Tactics, Steel Horizon, Star Trek Tactical Assault, and SimCity.
                      Christopher Dean
                      Director of Operations

Comment

Alas, a harsh truth about the Nintendo DS, is that 4 out of 10 games are worthless crap.

Yep, the DS is selling soooooo many more games than the PSP. The PSP fans don't like to hear it, but their game machine hasn't been able to do half as well as the DS. The biggest benefit the PSP can offer, is it isn't limited to games.

But who cares if the DS has 1000 games for it (that's a number I just picked to illustrate), if 400 are worthless crap. If the PSP has only a fraction of that, but at least they are all mostly ok games, then maybe only have a small game title selection isn't a tragedy.

I bought something like hmm 10 games, and then I discovered through a friend mentioning it, that you can buy a device called an R4DS cartridge. There is a similar item called the M3 which is basically the same item really. 60 bucks, and I have something that can load roms on it. And yes people, I KNOW that downloading roms is eeeeeevil. So isn't downloading music, movies, games, applications blah blah blah.

But, I've seen enough DS games to know, the 4 out of 10 number is accurate.
                        So, do you think I want to blindly buy games with a 40% chance of being total crap? Nope not at all. And DS cartridges don't come able to be bug fixed or patched or modded. You buy it, and it is either a rare good one, or you tossed your 40 bucks in the garbage.
                        I figure only 1 out of 10 games will be adequate to an atypical gamer.
                        That's unacceptably high.

Now granted, a lot of DS games are about raising a pet dog
                        Hey they're not necessarily bad games, they will merely only entertain a 10 year old mind

Man it was a long year waiting for Panzer Tactics to come out though.
                        My friend laughed at me. "You have the R4, why did you buy the game?, you could have downloaded it and saved the 40 bucks".
                        But I don't mind supporting a company that makes the games I want, and does a good job of it.
                        I gladly bought Steel Horizon, Age of Empires: Age of Kings, Tank Beat and I will continue to buy good solid well made military themed DS games.
                        It's a niche, and a small niche, and I know it.

I think there is a lot of room for more games like them.
                        But I don't feel guilty "testing" DS games first. I've seen some games come out, with well known mainstream licensed names, and the game has sucked all the same. Just because the game had a previous life on a different platform or a previous title using the franchise was great, doesn't mean the new offering won't suck.

Ok time to end the long winded rant
                        Long story short, the DS CAN be a good investment for a wargamer.

Comment

You know there are other ways to avoid buying bad games.. read the reviews. Now, I will say up front that most reviews to me are worthless.. but, I get to see screenshots, get some idea how the game plays, see the reader ratings, etc.. Example, reviewers trashed B-17.. personaly I enjoy it. The screenshots were good enough for me to give it a try. I will note also, if you buy a game from us and hate it we will see about working something out for you. Also, if you ask me first I will try to give you an idea of whether or not the game might be right for you.

I personaly own both the PSP and DS.. so far I am not dissapointed with most of the games I have bought for myself.

We will also take trade-ins for store credit and we usually give far better store credit then your typical game shop.

In the end.. gamers supporting gamers.

Thanks.
                          Christopher Dean
                          Director of Operations

Comment

They trashed B-17 Fortress of the Air?

Hmm I have that game, and I think it's kind of fun.

But we likely know why they trashed it. It's a wargame. Our wargames always get given the cold shoulder by mainstream.

They trashed Tank Beat too, and that game is not bad either.

I read the reviews as well and I look for game qualities that matter (when it comes to a negative feature).

For instance, Children of Mana, I read how it has totally abominable path finding.
                            Aside from that an ok game. But the path finding limitation apparently breaks the game so much it sucks the fun out.
                            Now perhaps a veteran of that genre could over come brain dead path finding, but an ordinary gamer might simply not catch on. And in the process totally not enjoy the game.

I've played Brothers in Arms and Call of Duty 4 for the DS, but not the PC equals of those two titles. Not that it would matter, as I have no experience with shooters either way.
                            Both of those games have stunning graphics, but I have to question, was there any logic in bringing the "shooter" game experience to the tiny screened hand held console market in the first place.
                            The manual dexterity requirements are quite high for those games.

Still, they are well made games, and play well, just so long as you are an experienced shooter gamer I suppose.

I wonder how Panzer Tactics is being received by the mainstream market community?
                            That game is no simple game design.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
                              Only downside with Combat Mission, and whether anyone likes to accept it or not, not all of wargaming has a spastic need to render every last &%$#@ wargame in over rated 3d.

Steel Panthers (regardless of who or what was involved with the desire to realize Squad Leader on computer), will always look MORE like Squad Leader on a computer.

But squad level tactical and Panzer General have nearly nothing in common besides both being WW2 computer wargames.

Wargame Construction Set 2 Tanks, the analogy of Panzer Leader is an approximation mainly. The scale of action is close, the settings are not solely WW2 as well.

Campaign series also has a scale between Squad Leader and Panzer Leader.

But for actual look, the Nintendo DS platform's Panzer Tactics is really the only game yet marketed that actually looks like Panzer General enough to matter.
                              Advance Wars, while not as serious looking, is also fairly close.
                              The fact you need to own a Nintendo DS is of course a limitation.
                              But then again, how many times have we had to shell out 1-200 bucks in computer parts just so we could play the latest uber wargame?

I had my DS a full year before Panzer Tactics arrived. Granted, Panzer Tactics was suuuuposed to be out a month before I bought my DS too (darn unreliable wargame release dates ).
                              I agree, visuals are so much overrating, toward simple from the top, perhaps with an option for a slight 3d tilted view, so that houses, ect are more easy to undestand in an urban fight, for larger scale 3d is a bad joke!

Instead one yearns for good gaming, with a good intuitive interface, but with loads of depth...

I think that all in all toaw, toaw III, some of the earlier ones like Steel Panthers, even the Close Combat series at times, were good...

I know there are some other series out there, but the couple I have tried have had that achilles heel, the interface is much, much too clumsy!

I think that steel Panthers, Panzer General, Combat Mission and ToawIII all have great gaming interfacing, and in the latter two, increasingly complex options, and variables...

Still I have at least half a dozen good improvements for toaw.

I havent played the panzer tactics series that seems interesting...

Imust say that when Shogun, Total war came out it was good... I thought Medieval was too boring, but Rome has redeemed the series some, so if you want a 'lite' 'strategic' game....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X