Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please post your thoughts on these two concepts for OpenSource wargames

If you have a couple of minutes...

I'm considering two very different designs for WEGO wargame, for implementation as an OpenSource Project.

One is basically a Combat Mission aline game, but starting from what CMx1 did developing to larger multiplayer games (opposite direction of CMx2).

The second one is an operational wargame with a twist. Dupoe - the "Dual Purpose Operations Examiner". A simulation system that can be used both
    • for operational experiments (read: to play a game).
    • or as an illustration tool where a military operation is displayed in a pre-defined presentation - but still tracks all the combat factors that it would in game mode, so that you can use it for reality checks.

I posted a ton of details and I would like to see your comments. I posted on our sister site (they still are, right?) gamesquad:
    http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73919

One is basically a Combat Mission aline game, but starting from what CMx1 did developing to larger multiplayer games (opposite direction of CMx2).
    Not really enough information, but if it's a dynamic campaign for a CM type game then consider me interested.

I don't understand 2.
    The great unmentionable evil at the center of our culture is monotheism. From a barbaric Bronze age text known as the Old Testament, three anti-human religions have evolved.

- Gore Vidal

Comment

Before you can put a dynamic campaign on top of a tactical game you gotta have a tactical game first.

There is a ton of info on the second proposal at the link I posted. It will become clearer after you read some of it.

Comment

Bored with 3d games that never live up to the hopes.

Operational topics might be possible, but I think WW2 has been mostly used up where current computer technology is concerned. Thus my interest is greatly diminished.

I'm waiting for a revolution in computer interface options where online board gaming is concerned.

Want to impress me, make a better mousetrap for playing board games online.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Not going to happen, I'm afraid

Whichever design I pick, I want strong fog of war, compositional units like TOAW has, autonomously reacting units in WEGO mode (via SOPs) and a couple other computer-only gizmos.

Comment

Go for the operational game imo

Comment

All right, chaps, I need a honest answer.

Dupoe is a dual-purpose system: game/simulation and also an illustration tool that displays preprogrammed movements and still tracks supply, losses etc.

Is there anybody here who thinks that the latter capability is cool/needed/useful/desirable, as in worth the huge amount of work? I have only seen people who like Dupoe for the game part so far.

Comment

As a teaching tool, I actually think you will have greater success employing a decent board game.

Might seem like a backward step and low tech, but occasionally it needs to be realized that sometimes using a computer is like using a sledgehammer to hammer a tack.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X