Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

half grand, half operational strategy game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• half grand, half operational strategy game?

Does anyone know any games that blend together the operational and grand levels of strategy? It would be really fun to play a global campaign against someone else, but I'd also like to play out, if not every, then at least the major battles that usually get reduced to nothing but dice rolls and casualty lists in grandstrat games. Something of a cross between Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday and Conquest of the Aegean.
    For example: I decide i want to invade Southeast Australia, specifically Melbourne. On the grand map, I dispatch a fleet with troop carriers. On the operational map, I storm the Bellarine Peninsula and swing around to capture the Avalon Airport.

I am posting this in both the "turn-based" and "realtime" forums, since I think this question overlaps.
    Last edited by blusock; 17 Feb 08, 21:07.

Originally posted by blusock View Post
    Does anyone know any games that blend together the operational and grand levels of strategy? It would be really fun to play a global campaign against someone else, but I'd also like to play out, if not every, then at least the major battles that usually get reduced to nothing but dice rolls and casualty lists in grandstrat games. Something of a cross between Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday and Conquest of the Aegean.
    For example: I decide i want to invade Southeast Australia, specifically Melbourne. On the grand map, I dispatch a fleet with troop carriers. On the operational map, I storm the Bellarine Peninsula and swing around to capture the Avalon Airport.

I am posting this in both the "turn-based" and "realtime" forums, since I think this question overlaps.
    Sounds like something you could create in Operational Art of War III.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Generally speaking, grand strategy games are either entirely grand strategy, or they are not at all.

War in the Pacific looks grand strategy, but really it's just an incredibly complex operational game.

TOAW3 can be damn near anything, but it can't be grand strategy.

Conquest of the Agean by the way is a tactical game, not operational.

As for suggestions, simple truth is there are no examples, because no one has made one.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Maud'dib View Post
        Conquest of the Agean by the way is a tactical game, not operational.

if a platoon were assaulting a MG team, i would call that tactical.

I would call COTA an operational level game.

-

Comment

War in the Pacific is probably the closest to what you're looking for, it uses a WEGO system.

Comment

Forge of Freedom has strategic and robust tactical features. although, it is based on the American Civil War, so it won't fulfill your other requirements.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=333
            "General Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always."

- William Tecumseh Sherman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X