Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Introduction Game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Introduction Game

    I figured I take this to the experts. I have never played a completely turn-based strategy game. Rome-Total War is the limit of my experience with this type of game, but as we know, the battles were in "real-time." I have taken an interest in playing a turn-based strategy game along the lines of, say, Korsun Pocket. Something like that. A hexagonal map with historical units based on a real battle. What would be the best game for a novice and the easiest to learn and play? Hopefully from the intro I can graduate to bigger and better things.

    Thanks for any suggestion. Any time period would do, but I lean towards WW2, Napoleon, and the American Civil War.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

  • #2
    Top of the list Strategic Command from Battlefront (has a demo so check it out first). Keep in mind I did NOT say Strategic Command 2 the successor (I don't like it as much).

    Now if that hooks you, try Commander Europe at War from Slitherine, which I think is the better choice for slightly more complex than Strategic Command.

    Moving along, if you want, check out SSG games at Matrix Games. Battles in Italy is operational scale, a bit more complex, but a very solid game experience.

    Want to learn the real meaning of command, but can handle not having turns, try Conquest of The Agean from Panther Games.

    Then there is Steel Panthers series, either World at War version from Matrix Games under the label Generals Edition, or if you would like modern stuff then WinSPMBT from over at Shrapnel Games. And here's the real score, both are free (yes cool isn't it).

    Slight different twist on squad tactical from Steel Panthers would be Squad Battles from HPS simulations. They have WW2 and modern titles to pick from.

    If monster game is not a term that scares you, then you have the entire Panzer Campaigns series from HPS simulations open. They have a consistent interface, so you master one, you learn them all.

    And the ultimate in board game feeling is clearly TOAW3 from over at Matrix Games. If you want more yer just being greedy

    But a definite title to check into would also be AGW from Schwerpunkt. More board gamish goodness you will not find.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

    Comment


    • #3
      TOAW 3 is the latest version of a classic and gives you a great many wargaming options, including but not limited to historical eras and battle size. Highly recommended above all the others--especially if you can only get one game. It's an entire closet of board wargames in one--but for the computer.

      For tactical combat, pick up CMBB or CMAK, the last two games made by Battlefront using their original CM x 1 game engine. Again you get a great deal for your money made even better by all the scenarios, mods and other goodies available for free on the web.
      Kampfgruppe Vice Kommandir
      http://www.kampfgruppe.us

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
        A hexagonal map with historical units based on a real battle. What would be the best game for a novice and the easiest to learn and play? Hopefully from the intro I can graduate to bigger and better things.

        Thanks for any suggestion. Any time period would do, but I lean towards WW2, Napoleon, and the American Civil War.
        I signed onto the HPS "operational campaigns" engine (originally the Battleground series by John Tiller), which are well represented in the time periods you mention. Historical accuracy is what they strive for in maps, OOBs, and modeling the combat; most titles that I've seen also have "what if" scenarios that let you play out alternate versions of battles. They also come with a wide variety of scenarios ranging from small-scale skirmishes to full-blown campaigns (so you can do a smaller "Getting Started" scenario before trying to storm the beaches at Normandy).

        Another nice thing is that the game engine looks roughly the same across the board... so if you've played a Civil War game and are familiar with the interface, a WWII title will look mostly familiar to you the first time you load it up. (Still need to read the manual for the details, though, since each time period has its own quirks.)

        The interface also looks kind of similar to the "squad battles" titles... but I'm not as interested in the smaller scale stuff so those have never held my interest. But if you're looking for smaller unit sizes, that may be another way to go.
        "I am not an atomic playboy."
        Vice Admiral William P. Blandy

        Comment


        • #5
          Okay, thanks guys. I'll be checking out some of those titles within the next month or so. I've gotten a new job which is going to have me working for about 3 weeks at a time and then I'll have a week to 10 days off. The wife can only make the Honey Do list so long and I need some games to fill the rest of the time.
          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

          Comment


          • #6
            You might also wanna try AGEOD's American Civil War, its just been released in retail shops all over America apparently so it should be easy to find, great game, uses a WEGO system (Each player give orders to his units and the turn is resolved simultaneously)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
              You might also wanna try AGEOD's American Civil War, its just been released in retail shops all over America apparently so it should be easy to find, great game, uses a WEGO system (Each player give orders to his units and the turn is resolved simultaneously)
              That sounds even more up my alley. My massive ego won't let me be anything less than a general in charge of armies!
              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

              Comment


              • #8
                John Tiller's Campaign Series is a good one to start on, and I think that matrix just rerealeased a bundle pack of the series http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=318 That was my first wargame on the computer and I've been hook for about 9 years now. My favorite aspect his the Play by email (PBEM) where you can take your turn and send to an opponent who takes his and sends it back and you play the game through this way... it sure beats the AI

                Thanks for looking!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  I figured I take this to the experts. I have never played a completely turn-based strategy game. Rome-Total War is the limit of my experience with this type of game, but as we know, the battles were in "real-time." I have taken an interest in playing a turn-based strategy game along the lines of, say, Korsun Pocket. Something like that. A hexagonal map with historical units based on a real battle. What would be the best game for a novice and the easiest to learn and play? Hopefully from the intro I can graduate to bigger and better things.

                  Thanks for any suggestion. Any time period would do, but I lean towards WW2, Napoleon, and the American Civil War.
                  I am such a Sadomasochism that the first game I ever bought and taught myself to played was Avalon Hill's 2nd Edition 3rd Reich. The only time I had wargamed before that was one game as Russians in Avalon Hill's Russian Campaign. As my cousin had been playing that with his brothers/friends for a year naturally the German were in Moscow by Sept 41
                  FoxNEWS "The World is unfair and we are running scared"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would say Shatteared Union or Panzer General
                    "The people never have the power, only the illusion of it. And here is the real secret: they don't want it. The responsibility is too great to bear. It's why they are so quick to fall in line as soon as someone else takes charge."
                    "

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you enjoyed Korsun Pocket then I can recommend the next games in the same series.

                      Battles in Italy is very good and there are lots of scenarios and an active community.

                      www.ssg.com.au

                      -

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X